AC died

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my 30 year old heat pump went in the dead of august last year and I had to resort to memories of my northern days where we opened the windows at night and then ran around in the morning and closed them and shut the blinds. That and a lot of fans. I went two months doing so for the debate of do I replace it or do I fix it. I only paid about $250 to get it fixed last year and the guy said we should get a good few more years out of it and keep it until it died so I have my fingers crossed. At least at that point in time it won't seem like as much of a burden to replace it since I have almost finished the other $15,000 of repairs or so needed at this house. Damn this house...

new install for upstairs unit scheduled for wednesday morning, man its going to be a long 4 days with everyone living downstairs, 5 people, 6 fish, dog, cat, parakeet, hamster

:brickwall:

^^You know you could reduce the crowding by simply putting rodent and the bird in with the cat.....

all good ideas :)

sad thing is the guys could come tomorrow and replace, but wifey works at night and it would screw up her sleep, I begged her to just check into a hotel to sleep but she is..... cheap, I mean "froogle"

We turned our A/C on this weekend for the first time, temps in the mid 90s with rain and lots of humidity. It works, but the condensing water isn't flowing out of the proper place...like the drain. It is flowing (not just a couple drips) out the corner of the ductwork and down the back of furnance. :huh:

One more thing to add to the repair list.

Ours is working, but the condesate tray is still overflowing. I have a planter under the elbow drip, and a kitchen trash can under the main waterfall. Using my supercool PE tuned engineering skills, I fashioned a tinfoil water diverter so the waterful dumped into the trashcan rather than running down the side of the unit. I made the prototype out of a BC powder container, I left ir under the tiinfoil diverter as an emergency backup.

It isn't stormwater modeling, but still...

With my liquid capacity, I can go 24 hours between emptying the containers.

I'll join the crowd on this post. Small window AC unit for the bedroom just crapped out. As I was putting int in this year, I said to myself "this thing is getting old and will likely need to be replaced soon." (It has to be at least 15 years old) It ran for a day and then stopped making cold air.

I should become a psychic.

Last edited by a moderator:
The AC is out at work...it's hotter at my desk than it is outside. It's going to be really bad when it hits 95 this afternoon.

Man .. you guys are scaring me. I can sense my A/C is about ready to go .. and we have plenty of rain heading ths way to help humidify everything! :smileyballs:

JR

I just got a call from my husband. He is at the corporate office this week for a class in Maryland, and the power outage on friday fried the AC for the entire building. They let the receptionist go home because her desk is in the middle of a lobby that is all windows and working conditions were too hot.

Just got a call from the wife. The AC guys are swamped and will be out tomorrow, but have no idea when.

Maybe I should save my condensate water to pour on the azaleas. God knows I have enough of it. It is truly amazing how much water comes out of the air.

Heat pumps suck... they have no emergency AC, just emergency heat... and why the heck do they blow warm air every now and then (I know why I'm just trying to make a point) even though the AC is on!!!! Why can't we go to Fort Drum instead of Fort Benning?

Woohoo, half day of work today. The AC guy just called and is coming this afternoon...at least all the rain has keep the temps under 90 the past few days.

Back