A redneck road trip west....

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Um, RG? Most people have a smoke in the gondy.

CheechChong_UIS.jpg

Not quite sure on the hanging valley wall either. Though my favorite thing to do is take the snowcat off course and ski the back country. That can be pretty exhausting though if you don't plan out your course. And some VERY steep grades. The powder is phenomenal though.
Photo attached. One of the hardest climbs I've ever done at Aspen. Not to mention the way back down with all the steep grades/cliffs. :thumbs:

2008_0222aspen080020.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I've skied Copper. Too many of you out of control front rangers for my taste. :p
:plusone:

Same with Keystone.

And for the record, I use an off-piste set of Salomon skis that are branded X-wings.

SW +10000000
That's why you ski on the backside...away from the noobs and the knuckle draggers.

Everyone (here) told us no matter what ski resort we picked not to pick keystone!

If I was a vacation skier coming here for a week I would probably pick one of the ones further out also to be honest (aspen/steamboat) but when you live here it's nice to be 75 miles away when your coming home to the pot of chili you left in the crock pot...

The extra drive isn't worth it IMO when your doing it every other weekend...

I will stick to snow shoeing thank you very much
I'll be in the lodge drinking hot chocolate...
Ya but you won't get the same adrenaline rush doing either of these things. But LadyFox would be there to keep you company. ;)

That looks like one of the easy blacks at mary jane... ;)
Riiiiiiight. At one point I saw a bent dinged up sign with 3 black diamonds on it. Lots of hazard warnings too. LOL

Not quite sure on the hanging valley wall either. Though my favorite thing to do is take the snowcat off course and ski the back country. That can be pretty exhausting though if you don't plan out your course. And some VERY steep grades. The powder is phenomenal though.
Photo attached. One of the hardest climbs I've ever done at Aspen. Not to mention the way back down with all the steep grades/cliffs. :thumbs:

attachicon.gif
2008_0222aspen080020.JPG
^ that's steep.

EB ski trip to Silverton!https://www.silvertonmountain.com/page/home

And the terrain at Keystone really isn't that good. I like Brek, Copper, A-Basin, Steamboat, and Monarch. Winter Park isn't very friendly to snowboarders (terrain-wise), but is a blast on skis. Vail is good, but not worth the $ and neither is Beaver Creek. Crested Butte is good, but not for a "day trip" from Denver. Never gone skiing at Aspen or Snowmass.

Best bang for the buck: Ski Cooper. It's the old 10th Mt Division training grounds.

lets do an early November skip work day and ski (& no telling your wives).....

so we don't always ski here...

I figure enough of you wanted to be Train Engineers growing up..... We went and did a little road trip to check out some sweet engineering out west.. the Moffat Tunnel.. for those of you who have ski'd at winter park you have seen the western edge of this tunnel.. this is a pic of the eastern edge.. pretty interesting. 6 mile tunnel through the continental divide, saved 120+ miles of RR time..

Interesting enough it was financed by the City of Denver essentially through one of those "authority's" .. And yet we don't do that many "cool" substantial projects like this anymore it seems..

I just find it pretty cool they did stuff like this in 1920 something...we waited and waited for a train to come out of the tunnel.. no such luck! (you can find one on the internet!) You can gauge the size of this thing by checking out the stop sign in the photo..

If you are coming to ski at Winter Park you can take a train from the Denver airport on this line through to Winter Park. We will do it one day just for the ride.....

here is the route:

400px-Moffat_Tunnel_Overview.JPG

IMG_0570.JPG

That's cool. I never checked that out when I lived there, but I knew about it.

It's funny how growing up in a place, you often don't see all that much of it. Only what your parents want to see. Fortunately my Dad liked outdoors stuff so I got to see almost all of CO, but very few of the engineering attractions!

my dad likes trains so I made this a point in our trip sunday. he perked up when he found out there was a train related stop on our drive through the mountains...

I try and ask my kids what else they want to see.. they are slow to respond... I need to fit as much in as I can before I move to Texas ;)

Latest posts

Back