15 FE Exam Waiver

Help Support Engineer Boards:

Reaction score
I recently received my PE in TX after being approved for the FE exam waiver. I have 17 years of experience with a graduate degree. The process to request waiver and receive approval to sit for the PE was quite straight forward and the TBPE was super efficient. I received approval to sit for the PE exam in about 8 weeks, by which time I had already begun my preparation. From the day I started the process to when I received my PE license including preparing and passing the exam was approximately 5 months.

Last edited by a moderator:

Road Guy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ive know one person who did it back in GA, but I believe he still had to take the FE (EIT back then) - he later told me it would probably have been easier to go back and finish his degree (only needed a handful of classes)

Dothracki PE

Where is my mind?
EB Supporter
Reaction score
One of my former coworkers was using the NJ waiver to get his PE. I don't think he passed though.

I think going through the FE process is a good warmup to freshen up on the topics you forgot in college if you prepare well enough and to get used to the NCEES testing process. Then once you pass that, take a few months up to a year to study up on the topics in the PE exam.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dhwani

Reaction score
I recently received my PE in TX after being approved for the FE exam waiver. I have 17 years of experience with a graduate degree. The process to request waiver and receive approval to sit for the PE was quite straight forward and the TBPE was super efficient. I received approval to sit for the PE exam in about 8 weeks, by which time I had already begun my preparation. From the day I started the process to when I received my PE license including preparing and passing the exam was approximately 5 months.
can you please help with the process? how do you request waiver? any application or letter?

civilrobot PE etc etc

The Beyonce of Construction
EB Supporter
Reaction score
can you please help with the process? how do you request waiver? any application or letter?
It depends on your state board. Do they allow an exam waiver? If so, they typically have their own set of criteria on how to request one. My state required me to fill out a matrix where I had to list what I did (specific work tasks) and the number of hours doing it. My experience had to cover 12 years in my discipline instead of 4. Then I had to get it signed by the PE that I worked under.

Last edited:

Dhwani

Reaction score
Thank you for your response. My state require 15 years & I have over 16 years + necessarily evaluation. Have you sent them separate letter for waiver as well?

civilrobot PE etc etc

The Beyonce of Construction
EB Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you for your response. My state require 15 years & I have over 16 years + necessarily evaluation. Have you sent them separate letter for waiver as well?
My state Board didn't require a separate letter, however I think there was an application page that required me to check a box indicating how I'm planning to apply. I think. But yeah...you should check with your Board to see what they require.

Latest posts