15 FE Exam Waiver

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive know one person who did it back in GA, but I believe he still had to take the FE (EIT back then) - he later told me it would probably have been easier to go back and finish his degree (only needed a handful of classes)

One of my former coworkers was using the NJ waiver to get his PE. I don't think he passed though.

I think going through the FE process is a good warmup to freshen up on the topics you forgot in college if you prepare well enough and to get used to the NCEES testing process. Then once you pass that, take a few months up to a year to study up on the topics in the PE exam.

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently received my PE in TX after being approved for the FE exam waiver. I have 17 years of experience with a graduate degree. The process to request waiver and receive approval to sit for the PE was quite straight forward and the TBPE was super efficient. I received approval to sit for the PE exam in about 8 weeks, by which time I had already begun my preparation. From the day I started the process to when I received my PE license including preparing and passing the exam was approximately 5 months.
can you please help with the process? how do you request waiver? any application or letter?

can you please help with the process? how do you request waiver? any application or letter?
It depends on your state board. Do they allow an exam waiver? If so, they typically have their own set of criteria on how to request one. My state required me to fill out a matrix where I had to list what I did (specific work tasks) and the number of hours doing it. My experience had to cover 12 years in my discipline instead of 4. Then I had to get it signed by the PE that I worked under.

Last edited:
Thank you for your response. My state require 15 years & I have over 16 years + necessarily evaluation. Have you sent them separate letter for waiver as well?

Thank you for your response. My state require 15 years & I have over 16 years + necessarily evaluation. Have you sent them separate letter for waiver as well?
My state Board didn't require a separate letter, however I think there was an application page that required me to check a box indicating how I'm planning to apply. I think. But yeah...you should check with your Board to see what they require.

Hello folks... I am in California, a state that DOES allow the FE exam waiver provided you can document 15 years of experience relevant to your discipline and have an accredited engineering BS degree. A pre-requisite for the PE license is to have 6 years of professional experience which you can prove through "engagement records", a minimum of 4 is required. So to request a waiver all you have to do is check a box on the application and document the additional 11 years by adding more engagement records. I applied for one and had no trouble getting it.

If you have been out of school for a while and and are not intending on getting a multi-state PE license, I'd strongly recommend you spend your time on prepping for the PE exam and get a waiver for the FE. They are two different exams and although some of the FE exam principles will help you prepare for the PE, I'd focus my energy on "the real deal."
Hi,
Thank you for sharing your information but I am confused on your statement for 4-6 years PE requirement and 11 years?

Does it mean when you request FE waiver to apply for PE and you have 4 years BS degree, you only need to provide an additional 11 years of working experience to qualify for FE waiver?

What do you mean by saying 4-6 years “engagement records”?

I have accredited BS civil engineering degree and 12 years of work experience working for civil engineering firms!

Would I be able to get the FE waiver by having 4 year degree and 12 years working experience (total of 16 years) so I can apply for PE or I need to accumulate total of 15 years working experience to get the FE waiver to qualify for PE despite of having 4 years study?

Thank you and I am really looking a clear answer so I can know my options!

Sparkyelec99 pretty much answered your questions. Unlike candidates that have passed the FE exam, those seeking a waiver of FE exam in California need to submit the full application package and obtain approval of the waiver prior to sitting for the PE exam. Or you can just pass the FE exam first.
Hi,
My confusion is: does 4 years of educational period (BS) gets counted toward the requirement of 15 years work experience to wave FE exam in California? Meaning:
4 yrs education + 11 yrs working experience = 15 years to get FE waiver

thanks

Hi,
My confusion is: does 4 years of educational period (BS) gets counted toward the requirement of 15 years work experience to wave FE exam in California? Meaning:
4 yrs education + 11 yrs working experience = 15 years to get FE waiver

thanks
In CA, the months spent gaining your education does not count towards the experience requirement. If you have a BS from an ABET accredited program, you need to demonstrate 15 years of work experience. If you have a MS from an ABET accredited program, you need to demonstrate 14 years of work experience. If your degree is not accredited by ABET, you need to demonstrate 17 years of work experience to qualify for a FE waiver.

In CA, the months spent gaining your education does not count towards the experience requirement. If you have a BS from an ABET accredited program, you need to demonstrate 15 years of work experience. If you have a MS from an ABET accredited program, you need to demonstrate 14 years of work experience. If your degree is not accredited by ABET, you need to demonstrate 17 years of work experience to qualify for a FE waiver.
Thank you for your response 🙏

Yes, I was granted the FE waiver from the Texas Board. I will be re-taking the PE exam this October.
That's great. I already have more than 15 years of engineering experience, but I never took my FE exam after I graduated. I started working full time then got my master degree and continued to work. Was it easy to get a waiver? What did you have to do? Thanks in advance for your help.

Hello folks... I am in California, a state that DOES allow the FE exam waiver provided you can document 15 years of experience relevant to your discipline and have an accredited engineering BS degree. A pre-requisite for the PE license is to have 6 years of professional experience which you can prove through "engagement records", a minimum of 4 is required. So to request a waiver all you have to do is check a box on the application and document the additional 11 years by adding more engagement records. I applied for one and had no trouble getting it.

If you have been out of school for a while and and are not intending on getting a multi-state PE license, I'd strongly recommend you spend your time on prepping for the PE exam and get a waiver for the FE. They are two different exams and although some of the FE exam principles will help you prepare for the PE, I'd focus my energy on "the real deal."
Hello, my name is Xavier, I am applying for a FE waiver in California. Can you provide me with some examples of the information you used in the 'engagement records"? I have over 15 years of experience in the engineering field and I want to get the application process correct the first time I submit it. Thank you any extra info will help.
my email is [email protected]

Back