AASHTO "GREEN BOOK" 1990 ed - is it too outdated to use on the PE exam ?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I couldn't tell you what has changed between the two books, I don't have the 1990 edition (I do have the 1994, 2001, and 2004). If you are taking the transpo afternoon I'd recommend getting a newer version. You may be able to find a 2001 edition cheaper since it's 'out of date' also, although some agencies have yet to adopt the 2004 green book. I haven't noticed to many differences between the 2001 and 2004 editions, although there are a few.

Thanks for the info, roadwreck.

I am now seriously thinking about going for the WR/Enviro PM section, since I hear it does not require some of the expensive references Transport does (I already have MUTCD and HCM2000), and one can get all the equations and info from CERM and a couple of university subject textbooks. I am interested to hear what is your opinion on this matter.

I'd stick to whatever discipline you feel you are most familiar with and are exposed to on a regular basis. I didn't get all the recommended resources when I took the exam. In addition to the CERM (a must have) and a book of Lindeburg practice problems, the only additional recommended references that I took was the AASHTO Green Book (2004 edition), Highway Capacity Manual, MUTCD, and Roadside Design Guide. I did have another box of textbooks from college with me for the exam but I didn't use any of them.

If you already have the MUTCD and the HCM (and the CERM) you are well on your way to having most of the necessary references in my opinion.

^^^ That's definitely advice worth hearing twice !!!! :plusone:

:Locolaugh: :Locolaugh:

JR

Thanks for your input, roadwreck.

Now, I have also realized that my CERM is 7th ed. Will I suffer by having the newest ed?

I think that at the end of the day I would rather invest the $ into the req'd materials and hopefully pass the exam on my first attempt than risk not passing because of insufficient and/or outdated references, and go through the whole process again associated with another attempt.

yes DO NOT take the 1990 green book, there was actually some significant changes in the 2001 & 2004 green book.

I used the 8th edition , the annoying thing is mainly that the transp stuff all relates to outdated Green Books & HCM

And most definately dont take the old HCM

Thanks for the info, roadwreck.
I am now seriously thinking about going for the WR/Enviro PM section, since I hear it does not require some of the expensive references Transport does (I already have MUTCD and HCM2000), and one can get all the equations and info from CERM and a couple of university subject textbooks. I am interested to hear what is your opinion on this matter.
I can't imagine your company or another co-worker doesn't have any of the current references to borrow to you for the exam. I tried the WR section twice before switching to transporation. I thought the transpo afternoon was a lot easier. You encounter problems you don't see in practice but a lot of it requires using the index in any of the references. Just my :2cents:

I know we probably covered this in another thread, but I did find the Asphalt Handbook MS-4 and the Traffic Engineering Handbook by the ITE to be helpful... you do need to read through them to understand where material is found (Asphalt Handbook does not have an index).

-Ray

Ray, thanx for your input.

I have decided to purchase all the references on the NCEES TRANSPORTATION Design Standards list (current editions).

I have already ordered all of them except the Green Book and the RDG – these are the most expensive ones…;-(

I am now wondering if I will be OK with the 7th ed. of the CERM – is there anyone with both editions? Are the changes worth getting the 10th ed?

Cheers.

you should be okay just dont rely on the charts & tables in the 7th edition cerm as they relate to HCM, Green Book, etc. but for dirt, drainage, and am strucutural you should be okay

An update:

The new ed of the Green Book is available as a download pdf from techstreet.com for $120, and the Roadside Design Guide for $160. :-(

So I did a search on eMule the other day, and was both surprised and dissapointed. The good news was that it found the Green Book; the bad: only the 2001 ed, thus no good for the exam in April. :-(

And not a trace of the Roadside Design Guide... :-(

actually a lot of the main charts changed, minimum radius,SE, stopping site distance and others, you can download the updates from aashto (dont know the link)

take a look at the minimum radius table from both versions and you will see something that could completely hose you.

actually a lot of the main charts changed, minimum radius,SE, stopping site distance and others, you can download the updates from aashto (dont know the link)
take a look at the minimum radius table from both versions and you will see something that could completely hose you.
thanks again, road guy!

unfortunately, i could not find the downloadable 2004 update from AASHTO.

fantastic - I have a feeling I know what Santa will leave under the Green Tree for me this holiday season...

And the answer is???

!kooB neerG ehT

If anyone knows where to download the greenbook updates it would be much appreciated. I have searched extensively with no success.

If not available, am I going to regret not updating from 2001 ed.?

Buy the updated versions of the traffic references or find someone who has them and make copies of the updated material....don't go into the exam with outdated reference material. Check with your company...some companies will reimburse you for the cost of the books for your PE exam.

Back