i am considering civil engineering as a career

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

victoryred1

Reaction score
I am currently in 10th grade and i have been considering going into engineering at university. i am very interested in this field and i love the idea of creating structures. I need to know basically wat to expect in a career of civil engineering. I enjoy and understand at maths and science very well.

but is engineering really all maths and science??????

Are engineering, physics and Maths C a good choice of highschool subjects to go into civil

engineering?

Do you have to be great at maths and physics for civil engineering?

Is engineering a very hands-on subject

Will i find engineering difficult if i dont study?

Is engineering difficult in uni?

Is there alot of work in civil engineering at uni?

Is civil engineering a hard field to get into? (OP wise)

Do civil engineers use physics to construct structures.

Do civil engineers get paid a lot?

Is civil engineering at Uni hard?(explain)

Question for people in Australia, Queensland which is the best of all of these universities; Griffith Uni on Gold Coast, UQ or QUT

please answer all of these im desperate for these Q's to be answered

Only in my opinion:

but is engineering really all maths and science? There is a lot of math involved and operation of design software. Problem solving skills, communication, and teamwork is a big part as well.
Are engineering, physics and Maths C a good choice of highschool subjects to go into civil

engineering? I would take as many Physics classes and go as far as you can in Math to help prepare you for the required Physics and Math in college.

Do you have to be great at maths and physics for civil engineering? I do not think you have to be an expert, but you will have to be able to pass the Physics and Calculus courses in college.

Is engineering a very hands-on subject? I would say so.

Will I find engineering difficult if i dont study? I think everyone would struggle in engineering without studying, which is probably the same as any other profession as well. Same would go for a doctor or lawyer.

Is engineering difficult in uni? This depends on your priorities, dedication, I.Q., etc. I do not know of anyone that I went to school with who thought engineering was easy, but it comes easier to some than it does to others. Regardless of personal difficulty, it takes a lot of time to stay on top of your workload in an engineering curriculum.

Is there alot of work in civil engineering at uni? Yes, same as above.

Is civil engineering a hard field to get into? (OP wise) By the time you graduate, I would hope the economy is better, and you shouldnt have a problem finding a job with decent grades and internship experience.

Do civil engineers get paid a lot? I was always told, "you can make a good living being a civil engr, but you will never be rich". I think everyone on here would agree that engineers are underpaid, due to the level of education, licensure, and importance of job. The simple answer would be, we do not get paid as much as the general public thinks.

Is civil engineering at Uni hard?(explain) Same as above. I suggest going to the universities and getting a sample curriculum. You should be able to see every course that you will be required to take, along with a course description.
For other information, seek out engineers in your area, try to set up a day of job shadowing, so that you can see what a Civil Engr does on a daily basis.

Good luck.

Only in my opinion:

but is engineering really all maths and science? There is a lot of math involved and operation of design software. Problem solving skills, communication, and teamwork is a big part as well.

engineering? I would take as many Physics classes and go as far as you can in Math to help prepare you for the required Physics and Math in college.

Do you have to be great at maths and physics for civil engineering? I do not think you have to be an expert, but you will have to be able to pass the Physics and Calculus courses in college.

Is engineering a very hands-on subject? I would say so.

Will I find engineering difficult if i dont study? I think everyone would struggle in engineering without studying, which is probably the same as any other profession as well. Same would go for a doctor or lawyer.

Is engineering difficult in uni? This depends on your priorities, dedication, I.Q., etc. I do not know of anyone that I went to school with who thought engineering was easy, but it comes easier to some than it does to others. Regardless of personal difficulty, it takes a lot of time to stay on top of your workload in an engineering curriculum.

Is there alot of work in civil engineering at uni? Yes, same as above.

Is civil engineering a hard field to get into? (OP wise) By the time you graduate, I would hope the economy is better, and you shouldnt have a problem finding a job with decent grades and internship experience.

Do civil engineers get paid a lot? I was always told, "you can make a good living being a civil engr, but you will never be rich". I think everyone on here would agree that engineers are underpaid, due to the level of education, licensure, and importance of job. The simple answer would be, we do not get paid as much as the general public thinks.

Is civil engineering at Uni hard?(explain) Same as above. I suggest going to the universities and getting a sample curriculum. You should be able to see every course that you will be required to take, along with a course description.
For other information, seek out engineers in your area, try to set up a day of job shadowing, so that you can see what a Civil Engr does on a daily basis.

Good luck.

Thanks

Back