Can I take the FE in New Jersey or New York without a Bachelor degree in Civil Engineering?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CookieGoneLoco

Reaction score
I graduated with a BA in Physics, but realized late into my degree that I wanted to go for civil engineering as my career. Since I don't have any background in that field, I thought studying for and taking the FE would help me land some internships, and potentially open doors for job opportunities in civil engineering. But it seems that some states require a BS in civil engineering to take the exam. I am wondering if the states of New Jersey and New York require a BS in civil engineering in order to take the FE.

Alternatively, I was also considering enrolling in a graduate program for civil engineering. Specifically, I am interested in structural engineering. However, this would require me to take some undergraduate civil engineering courses, which could potentially take another 4 to 6 semesters, before I can be eligible for the graduate program. Will I still be eligible to take the FE in NJ or NY if I get an MS in civil engineering, but no BS in civil, or would I really need to start all over, and get a BS in civil?

I graduated with a BA in Physics, but realized late into my degree that I wanted to go for civil engineering as my career. Since I don't have any background in that field, I thought studying for and taking the FE would help me land some internships, and potentially open doors for job opportunities in civil engineering. But it seems that some states require a BS in civil engineering to take the exam. I am wondering if the states of New Jersey and New York require a BS in civil engineering in order to take the FE.

Alternatively, I was also considering enrolling in a graduate program for civil engineering. Specifically, I am interested in structural engineering. However, this would require me to take some undergraduate civil engineering courses, which could potentially take another 4 to 6 semesters, before I can be eligible for the graduate program. Will I still be eligible to take the FE in NJ or NY if I get an MS in civil engineering, but no BS in civil, or would I really need to start all over, and get a BS in civil?

Here is your answer from NCEES website [ creators of the : FE, PE, PE-Structural - 16 hrs ( also known in some states as SE ) , FS, PS exams ]

Exam registration and authorization :

The New Jersey board does not require examinees to submit an application or an additional fee prior to registering with NCEES and scheduling an FE exam.
Examinees will be provided one attempt per testing window and no more than three attempts in a 12-month period.

hope this helps!!

Back