I need help with a College Project

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treleford04

Reaction score
If someone would be kind enough to answer these questions that would be great.

1. Why did you get into engineering
  2. Did you consider any other career paths
  3. How was your time in school for engineering
  4. Did you intern anywhere
  5. How was the job hunting experience after graduation
  6. General history of your time in the field, employers, time periods, and duties in particular
  7. Do you have any particular jobs, achievements, or projects that stand out either good or bad
  8. Did/do you enjoy your career
  9. What kind of certifications or continuing education have you engaged in
  10. Is there anything I should consider or think about while studying to become an engineer

1. I entered engineering as a natural progression from entering the Naval Nuclear Power Program after high school.

2. I considered firefighting and law enforcement. My uncle is a firefighter and my old man is a retired detective. Tried becoming a firefighter, but it didn't work out. My wife and my dad talked me out of law enforcement.

3. Tough. I had to do all my studies online through Arizona State. I highly recommend completing your undergrad before you take on a lot of life responsibilities.

4. I never interned anywhere. Getting paid to learn is always a good way to go in my opinion.

5. Easy. Already had a job and 20 years of work and military experience.

6. U.S. Navy (2000-2004), Power Generation (Control Room Operator/I&E Technician) (2005-2016), Substation Protection and Controls (2016-Present)

7. Did a lot of scut work to learn everything from the bottom up. It pays off later but it sucks while you are in the trenches. Every job I've had has taught me lessons to help me in the next one.

8. I do enjoy my job. Every job has its pros and cons. That being said, if you are good, you will always be in demand; therefore, you will never starve.

9. Finishing my EE degree, getting my FE, preparing for my PE. Another big thing is to go back and refresh on the basics from time to time. It's easy to let important skills and knowledge go stale.

10. Ask yourself if you want to work in an office or work in the field. There are many paths you can take. A lot of engineers follow the beaten path and go work for a firm or utility and spend most of their time in an office. I would suggest spending some time in the field and learning how to make corrections and adjustments on the fly. Understand what the crafts go through to make a project happen and ask them for advice. They can be your best friends or your biggest critics - and their opinions matter. It's rather embarrassing to submit a project, have it go out for execution, and then have your prints come back covered in red and green because you didn't know what you were doing.

If someone would be kind enough to answer these questions that would be great.

1. Why did you get into engineering
  2. Did you consider any other career paths
  3. How was your time in school for engineering
  4. Did you intern anywhere
  5. How was the job hunting experience after graduation
  6. General history of your time in the field, employers, time periods, and duties in particular
  7. Do you have any particular jobs, achievements, or projects that stand out either good or bad
  8. Did/do you enjoy your career
  9. What kind of certifications or continuing education have you engaged in
  10. Is there anything I should consider or think about while studying to become an engineer
1. Because I thought that I will do good in that field.
2. Took part in medical admission exam also.
3. Not so good, not so bad either. I was disappointed to see that the books we read were quite old. Many topics were not well demonstrated in labs.
4.No
5.I faced really hard luck. It took me around 2 years to find an Engineering job. A big reason was that many companies didn't want to hire women for engineering posts.
6.Feb 2011-Feb 2012 : Marketing Engineer at a sub-station equipment manufacturing company.
Feb 2012-mid Nov 2012-Senior Engineer at a real estate company.
Nov 2012-Dec 2020-Embedded system Engineer at an R and D farm.
At present-Freelancing
7. Not really.
8.Yes
9. I did a certificate course on AVR microcontroller programming before getting a job.
10. You should do some courses related to your field. But not at the cost of your CGPA of course.

Why did you get into engineering – Pretty simple, one of my teachers in HS said “you are good at math.

Did you consider any other career paths – Not really. Engineering sounded like it fit me well.

How was your time in school for engineering. A time of growth and experiences that allowed me to become a mature adult.

Did you intern anywhere. My school was a mandatory co-op school and I worked all through my education. I believe that the co-op experience has made me a better engineer and put real meaning to what I was learning in College. UNPAID internships should be illegal, and I would never recommend an unpaid position. Engineering education has a value, and you should not give it away for free.

How was the job hunting experience after graduation – when I graduated (1980) the market for engineering was hot. We had on campus interviews, and I had multiple offers.

General history of your time in the field, employers, time periods, and duties in particular. Twenty years in private sector (mostly A/E firms) and have owned my own business for the last 25 years.

Do you have any particular jobs, achievements, or projects that stand out either good or bad. I have provided structural engineering for project around the world. The ones I enjoy the most are in my local area. When I pass a project I had a hand in, I smile as I know it was done right and has a lasting impact on my community.

Did/do you enjoy your career – Immensely. I am of an age where many (most) of my friends are retiring and I consider retiring myself, I cannot think of anything in my career that I would change.

What kind of certifications or continuing education have you engaged in. – Structural Engineering. Several college level structural courses over the years and of course the CEU required to maintain my professional licenses.

Is there anything I should consider or think about while studying to become an engineer consider being an engineer? – An engineering degree, if done correctly, should prepare the student to solve problems. This skill can be applied to many occupations that are not considered engineering. Your major chosen should be something that excites you.

Good Luck

E

Back