Exam Expenses

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mudpuppy

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been covered before or belongs somewhere else. I haven't seen a topic on this yet.

My company paid for the exam application ($80), exam registration ($235), and EERM (~$150). They will also cover the license fee ($75 first year, $40 per year after) and stamp. They would not pay for mileage to the test site or the hotel room the night before, but they did give me the day off for the exam. Also, they used to reimburse 90% for a course leading to a certification (including PE) but they stopped that last year. A co-worker conjectured this was due to IT people getting lots of Micro$loth certifications.

EDIT: I also convinced our corporate library to buy most of the EE "the other board" materials, and they have copies of the NEC and any other standard or code that could possibly apply to the electric utility industry. They got a little annoyed when I checked stuff out to study for 4 months, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got reimbursed 100% for everything except a review course, for which I got 50%. I got compensatory time off for the day of the exam. All of this is provided I passed, which I did. If you have to take it multiple times you only get reimbuirsed for the time you pass.

No reimbursements here...also didn't ask about it.

I did save all the receipts for tax time though since I consider it something that is required for my line of work and therefor a business expense.

my company reimbursed for any test materials and classes (but these were taxed so i didn't get the full amount back). i get the full amount of the test application fee and a bonus if i pass. they will pay for all licensing fees and stamps. we also get the day off to take the test but not mileage or time off to study.

Sorry if this has been covered before or belongs somewhere else. I haven't seen a topic on this yet.
My company paid for the exam application ($80), exam registration ($235), and EERM (~$150). They will also cover the license fee ($75 first year, $40 per year after) and stamp. They would not pay for mileage to the test site or the hotel room the night before, but they did give me the day off for the exam. Also, they used to reimburse 90% for a course leading to a certification (including PE) but they stopped that last year. A co-worker conjectured this was due to IT people getting lots of Micro$loth certifications.

EDIT: I also convinced our corporate library to buy most of the EE "the other board" materials, and they have copies of the NEC and any other standard or code that could possibly apply to the electric utility industry. They got a little annoyed when I checked stuff out to study for 4 months, though.

Mud, it sounds like you've got a good deal going over there...I wouldn't squabble over the mileage and other pennies -- they're covering the big ticket items. You did a great negotiating job.

I managed to get everything covered, but I was an exception. Normally, my firm covers the review course sorts of things, but the exam fees are yours, generally speaking.

I dunno, having recently been both a hiring manager and then someone in the job market, I can attest to the power of a PE as a screening item on the resume. Even if I couldn't get stuff covered, I'd just pony up the money and then work on getting something back from Uncle Sam (as was already mentioned).

Surprisingly, my employer covers all fees for license renewal and membership in NSPE...I'm all over that.

My work does not cover anything for your first exam/ license.

If you take other exams, you will get reinbursed if you pass. Even if you don't pass, my work will also give you the day off to take the exam.

They covered the first exam, the first exam application fee but i failed.

They then covered a review course for me but nothing else the second time. But since i passed the second time, they will now pay for the stamp and licensing fee.

At no point did i get paid time off.

I think this is pretty standard.

I figure my first paycheck after the license covered all the expenses and then some. but worth way more than that is my incontinent boss no longer saying, "Since you are working under MY license..."

My current employer paid nothing. They also did not give me any consideration for time that I needed off to attend review course. I had to use vacation time. I also had to use vacation time for the exam day. I work in manufacturing industry, so PE license is rarely needed. But in the rare event that they need professional engineering services, they needn't ask me.

My employer paid for my exam fee ($220) and license fee ($80). They also gave me a paid day off, which isn't much, since we get off at noon on Fridays anyway. No mileage, hotel, or any prep. fees. So all in all not too bad. Oh yeah they also paid for my stamp ($30).

Today is the first pay day after I found out I passed. Hoping for a raise. :please:

What I paid for: application fee, registration fee, all my own books

What work paid for: the review class ($925), and they will pay my license fee and renewals

The only book I borrowed from work was the ACI318, actually it was the only book they had that I wanted... our library is rather lacking.

I had to use a bank day for the day of the test - and I can expect to see no increase in my paycheck for passing.

-Ray

My employer reimbursed for the review course, text material and application fee. I was even reimbursed for the day off I had to take for the exam. This is irrespective of the outcome of the exam. I think being an engineering company, they only do this for PE, not for other licensures though.

Same here. CERM, Practice Problems, and Sample Exam package. License, stamp, and renewal fees. No mileage or hotel, but also a paid day off. No review course reimbursement, either. Our library also purchased the Civil Six Minute Solutions package, which is the only problems I worked. The CERM practice problems looked too time consuming, so I never even used them.

Today is the first pay day after I found out I passed. Hoping for a raise. :please:

I was told by folks in my department to push for my new pay rate now that I passed the exam and licensure is "a formality." But HR responded that the raise would not occur until I have a license number.

My employer paid for my my license application ($75).

I had to pay $80 for my (State of Michigan) educational review, $235 for the test and $25 to get my fundamentals results transfered (from Florida).

After the way they've gone by the letter on my raise, I'll leave it up to them to buy my stamp.

I live 15 minutes from the test site, so travel / hotel was not an issue.

-ALB

I took the test in Cali, but I live in Dallas. So not only did I have to pay for review materials, app, test fee, etc. I also got to pay for plane tickets and a hotel. My company did manage to pay for half of a $1000 review course. BTW, I think these things can help a lot of people, but I really felt like it was a waste of my time and money. Needless to say, I have about $2k invested in this test. I have kept all receipts, so they will definitely be used come tax time. Oh yea, and I took the test on my birthday 1200 miles from home.

My company pays for the application fee for the exam along with paid time off to take the exam. They also pay for an "approved" review course. (They actually bring instructors in to teach the review course at our offices.) And they will pay for the review materials / books that you need for the test. But, not until you actually pass the test. So...here's to hoping that I passed! :)

Well, my check was the same as it was last time. I am really irritated :angry: .

To make a long story short, about 20 months ago I moved from a much bigger market to be closer to home, which is a much smaller market. I took about a $15K pay cut. I was promised that if I proved myself, and got my professional license, then I would be compensated. Well, 20 months have gone by, I still make the same, which by the way is in the 1Q according to CE news, and I have largest workload in the office, and have passed the PE. Normally, I am not one to complain about salaries, and I hate those kind of people, but for Christ's sake I make low 40's. That wouldn't be an issue but my wife has had some very serious health issues and the medical bills have been killing us. Sorry just venting.

Today may have been the straw that broke the camel's back. :brickwall:

Well, my check was the same as it was last time. I am really irritated :angry: .
To make a long story short, about 20 months ago I moved from a much bigger market to be closer to home, which is a much smaller market. I took about a $15K pay cut. I was promised that if I proved myself, and got my professional license, then I would be compensated. Well, 20 months have gone by, I still make the same, which by the way is in the 1Q according to CE news, and I have largest workload in the office, and have passed the PE. Normally, I am not one to complain about salaries, and I hate those kind of people, but for Christ's sake I make low 40's. That wouldn't be an issue but my wife has had some very serious health issues and the medical bills have been killing us. Sorry just venting.

Sorry you have had a bad day. It's okay to vent. I've had my share of employment nightmares. Don't let it get the best of you. Remember, you're a PROFESSIONAL. I don't know the answer, but possibly a polite negotiation with management or HR would be appropriate. Sometimes you have to ask to get anything. Good luck with everything.

Back