Exam Expenses

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I was unemployed at the time so I paid for it all myself (about $750 total). I did have a lot of time to study though!
It's a little tough coughing up that kind of cash when you're out of work but I think it was worth it. My company still hasn't recognized me (or my coworker who also passed) for passing but I'm not sure they know about it. I've only been there 2 1/2 months and I work out in the field so it's not like I can really push for recognition on it. I'm sure they'll eventually find out and at least say congratulations (I hope).
I feel for you, man. Life is not always full of roses, but we did whatever it takes to succeed. Please accept my congratulations on passing. I know how hard you worked :p10940623: Cheers! :)

I do not get anything. We are a small company and they did not offer to reimburse me for anything. I passed the test, but still do not have my certificate. I am guessing that right after I get it with my seal, I will get a raise.

JPGOLF

Well, my check was the same as it was last time. I am really irritated :angry: .
To make a long story short, about 20 months ago I moved from a much bigger market to be closer to home, which is a much smaller market. I took about a $15K pay cut. I was promised that if I proved myself, and got my professional license, then I would be compensated. Well, 20 months have gone by, I still make the same, which by the way is in the 1Q according to CE news, and I have largest workload in the office, and have passed the PE. Normally, I am not one to complain about salaries, and I hate those kind of people, but for Christ's sake I make low 40's. That wouldn't be an issue but my wife has had some very serious health issues and the medical bills have been killing us. Sorry just venting.

Today may have been the straw that broke the camel's back. :brickwall:
A union janitor in Chicago or New York City makes twice that much!

Friend, it may be time to look elsewhere.

I have never heard of an engineer with at least 5 years of experince getting paid in the low fourties!

Good luck in job hunting!

my company has paid for everything thus far...application fees, test fees, some texts i needed (MERM, and a few other references)...i don't think i'll ask for hotel the night before or travel expenses...b/c they've already been so good...

honestly, i feel a little worried...if i don't pass, they've invested a lot for ....I am a Gigantic DoucheBag

so if/after you pass, how long does it take to get the stamp/seal/certificate? it's an additional cost (even in the first year)....you woudl think they would make it part of the process in the first year...

Since I have passed, I was able to finally put in for the test registration fee and the license activation fee.

In total, work paid for $1165 and I abused the copier, printers, and supply closets. They wouldn't spring for any books, even if I offered to turn them over to them after the test and after repeated discussions with my immediate supervisor - no raise. (Despite the fact that initially he had indicated I would be getting something).

I did pay for my own seal. That was one thing I didn't care if they covered at all.

-Ray

I am really surprised about all of you who receive reimburses! My work pay nothing for my study materials, nothing for the exam fee. They will give me just the day of the exam off. In fact, my boss even don't care if I pass or not!! :smileyballs:

My work paid for all the fees to take the test, and then i got the "day off" to take the test. (does it really count as a day off, if you are putting in 8 hours of test taking for something that benefits the company?) other than that, i had to cover all books, supplies, study materials, etc... I didn't take a review course, but they don't cover that either. (otherwise i would have)

anyway - i left them before i even found out the results - I'm just glad i didn't have to pay them back for that stuff. My new employer doesn't pay for the license fees, but he is paying for me to take the LEED exam, so i guess i'm about in the same boat again. :)

Well, my check was the same as it was last time. I am really irritated :angry: .
To make a long story short, about 20 months ago I moved from a much bigger market to be closer to home, which is a much smaller market. I took about a $15K pay cut. I was promised that if I proved myself, and got my professional license, then I would be compensated. Well, 20 months have gone by, I still make the same, which by the way is in the 1Q according to CE news, and I have largest workload in the office, and have passed the PE. Normally, I am not one to complain about salaries, and I hate those kind of people, but for Christ's sake I make low 40's. That wouldn't be an issue but my wife has had some very serious health issues and the medical bills have been killing us. Sorry just venting.

Today may have been the straw that broke the camel's back. :brickwall:
Job Title: GRADUATE ENGINEER

Closing Date/Time: Continuous

Salary: $44,980.00 - $54,990.00 annually

MINIMUM EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS

Requires Bachelor’s degree in engineering that is approved by the State Board of Registration for Professional Engineers with a satisfactory standing.

MINIMUM EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS

No experience required.

MINIMUM LICENSE REQUIREMENTS

Valid Texas Driver’s License and meet the requirements of the City of Houston’s policy on driving

I think I got really lucky. I don't work for an engineering firm, but I am a Project Manager overseeing contractors doing civil work for us. My CEO is a PE and is all about getting one. He will talk at end as to the reasons why you should have one. He had the company pay for everything. I took a Testmaster's review course, paid for my application fee, my test fee and even bought a couple of reference books for me. I leave early so that I can make it to my review and I get the day off for the exam and I asked for 3 days prior to study. They've treated it like a seminar. I didn't pass the first time, but they paid the exam fee for my second attempt. If I fail again I have to pay for any additional exam fees. They cover yearly fees and stamps.

I did buy my own calculator (I use it for work - took it as a tax deduction) and I bought NCEES and a Six minutes solutions out of my own pocket mostly because it was less hassle.

I live in Houston so I didn't have to worry about mileage or hotel. I approached it as another day at the office without actually going into the office. I think you guys should expect the day of the test off paid. You are working, right? It benefits the company, right?

Most of the people in my review class said that the company paid for the review class if and when they passed. That's a huge chunk of change and far out weighs any fees etc.

I did not get the day of the test reimbursed, but paid under my vacation time. Once I got the seal, Employer paid for the seal ($50 overnight delivery).

I also received a raise after getting my license (6%). I was expecting 9% but oh well!

I was reimbursed for the fee, the books I bought and the online classes I took. I had to bring in the books I got reimbursed for. So the books I kept I had to pay for myself. But they pretty much reimbursed 90% of all costs. They'll also pay the bi-annual license fee.

Now I'm still working on a raise.

Sorry if this has been covered before or belongs somewhere else. I haven't seen a topic on this yet.
My company paid for the exam application ($80), exam registration ($235), and EERM (~$150). They will also cover the license fee ($75 first year, $40 per year after) and stamp. They would not pay for mileage to the test site or the hotel room the night before, but they did give me the day off for the exam. Also, they used to reimburse 90% for a course leading to a certification (including PE) but they stopped that last year. A co-worker conjectured this was due to IT people getting lots of Micro$loth certifications.

EDIT: I also convinced our corporate library to buy most of the EE "the other board" materials, and they have copies of the NEC and any other standard or code that could possibly apply to the electric utility industry. They got a little annoyed when I checked stuff out to study for 4 months, though.
BAM! Friend you got CAKE!!! I work for "the largest global engineering design firm" in the world and (acording to them). I had to take my only two days of leave to go take the test, pay all expenses traveling to the exam location -hotel, car rental, meals, parking (a different state). I even had to use some sick leave because I didnt have enough leave. I paid for the 275 application, all books, etc. If you are getting reimbursed and given time off, you are doing great!

^^^^^God made all men(and women) the same but some are more "the same" than others.

I hope the translation is not lost. It was a phrase one supervisor of mine use to repeat all the time. It is applicable to this topic.

My expenses were covered (review course, application fee, registration fee, license activation fee) upon receiving the Passing Notice. Fair enough, if I failed, they wouldn't have paid. I was on my own for all of my reference material and books. While I did have to take a bank day for the test day, I have gotten some 'comp time' off the books (i.e. - I got granted a day for bereavement for a family member of my wife that I technically am entitled no time for, my boss sends me to half day meetings and tells me to just go home afterwards, etc.).

-Ray

FWIW:

Our company pays all fees connected with obtaining a first registration as a PE, the cost of the stamp, and all fees required to maintain that first registration. If the company requires you to get a PE in another state, they'll pay the necessary fees.

Also, the company pays 1/2 of the fees for a licensing exam refresher course provided you have perfect attendance (except for work-realted absences). you not paid for time to study, attend the refresher course, or to take the exam.

If you have to travel to take the exam, you're expected to pay your own way. If the company needs you to travel, I think they'll likely cover the expenses. All in all I think the policy is fair. Fortunately, I passed the first tiem, so I'm not sure how they handle repeat tests. I'd think it is still costs "connected with obtaining a first registration" so they might cover it, but it might get touchy if you took multiple exams to pass.

I am really surprised about all of you who receive reimburses! My work pay nothing for my study materials, nothing for the exam fee. They will give me just the day of the exam off. In fact, my boss even don't care if I pass or not!! :smileyballs:
[SIZE=36pt]$0.00[/SIZE]

I figure my first paycheck after the license covered all the expenses and then some. but worth way more than that is my incontinent boss no longer saying, "Since you are working under MY license..."
That's a good deal. I only got the registration fee and free reign over the company library. I asked for the test day to be paid and I got nothing.

My company has a policy to pay for the review course, and since the CERM was required for the review class they covered that too. Of course I had to pay for additional references and 6 minute solutions but others in my company had those reimbursed as well. It seems it is really up to the individual department manager.

They will reimburse for exam fees, but don't put it in writing.

They did not reimburse for the day of the exam, I had to use PTO.

Upon passing is still up in the air, HR has been quoted to say a PE is worht $1/hr.

I am looking for a hefty raise since PE's are required on every project we do since it deals with public transportation. There is a shortage of PE's in my department and the more PE's mean more projects and more fees. My way of looking at it is that if they plan on using my PE to sell their services I should be compensated for it.

Back