How difficult would it be to re-enter the workforce after a 7ish year gap in employment?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm seeking advice from engineers who work in the government or public sector or are familiar with it. I have my BS and MS in environmental engineering and got my PE 5 months ago. I am on a very long maternity leave (2 years almost, it's unpaid) and was supposed to return in July. But now I'm expecting my 2nd baby and want to stay home until my kids are at least in 1st grade, so 5+ years. I'm wondering how a 7ish year gap in my resume with really look to employers (specifically government or public sector because I don't like the fast paced nature of private firms), knowing I have my PE and I plan to keep up on the continuing education requirements. I also plan on getting my LEED certificate and possibly working on a small side business with my husband who is a surveyor. I'm under the impression it would be very possible to get back to work but maybe I need a reality check? When I was looking for my 'current' job I interviewed at 7 places, private and public, and was offered every job I interviewed at. But that was not after a long break in employment.

I don't have personal experience with this, but I think an extended maternity leave is a very reasonable and acceptable reason for a gap in a resume. I think the most important thing is to have a well prepared answer when they ask, rather than just fumbling and saying something about wanting a break. I think there are private firms that aren't fast-paced, you just need to look for them. Being self-employed in a side business might be great, but could also be more stressful than any other public or private sector work out there.

My friend, no worries at all, civil engineering is a very traditional, low-paid (comparing with ChE, DA, DS or SDE) job. Traditional means nothing new in daily tasks even after 10 years' gap. I still see ppl do not know how to use excel or even computer well, and they are fine holding the position. Low-paid (relatively speaking) means there is always more demand in labor market of CE than the engineers who are seeking jobs.
Thus, relax and enjoy your time with kids. We only live once and only have 25,000 days in this life. Just take it easy and have fun.

A gap probably won't matter as much to public sector jobs as it would to the private sector. Most Fed SLTT agencies I've worked with wouldn't care if you took time off for maternity/family purposes. I suspect the public sector will be a much easier transition back overall regardless.

Latest posts

Back