Exam Expenses

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took the exam in April 07. My test fees were reimbursed and a review class. I had to use my own time off for test day, but the exam was only 5 minutes from my house. That was nice because I slept in my own bed, left 45 minutes before sign up, got coffee at my favorite Dunkin' Donuts, bought snacks at my regular grocery store, ate lunch at my usual place and had a drink and dinner afterward at my favorite restaurant. I can't complain at all! (The fire alarm going off within the first 1/2 hour scared the shit out me though! And I heard about 5 simulatneous "Oh No!"'s)

Last edited by a moderator:
BAM! Friend you got CAKE!!! I work for "the largest global engineering design firm" in the world and (acording to them). I had to take my only two days of leave to go take the test, pay all expenses traveling to the exam location -hotel, car rental, meals, parking (a different state). I even had to use some sick leave because I didnt have enough leave. I paid for the 275 application, all books, etc. If you are getting reimbursed and given time off, you are doing great!
I'm certainly not complaining, I think I got a good deal. The PE is not required for my job, and I did not and will not get any other monetary benefit from my company for being a PE, just a leg up on getting promoted to the upper engineering ranks 10-15 years from now. Because of this, I don't think many people in my company would ever bother getting a license without the company making it pretty much zero-cost to us.

It's interesting to see how the policies seem to vary all over the board, from absolutely nothing, to a full ride with a review course and even maybe time off to study. I wonder how this differs between disciplines, and sectors (consulting, industry, government). For the record, I work for a privately-owned utility.

Back