What were you doing when you got your PASSING Letter?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the FE, I took it in April while still in school. I basically forgot all about it other than mentioning that I took it during job interviews. Then one day out of the blue in June the letter showed up in the mail saying i passed and asking for $10.

I was pretty pissed about mine. I had an eye on the KY results thread, and saw that tons of people had gotten their letter. I got nothing. I waited for 2 days, then gave up and called the board. They never did really explain what went wrong with my letter, but they ended up having to send another one. They did tell me over the phone that I had passed, but I refused to believe it or tell anybody else until I had the letter in hand. I guess that made it a little less climactic, but it was thrilling nonetheless.

I received the letter from the state, (Colorado) stating I had passed the FE in January of 2006. I went out and celebrated. The next day there was another letter from DORA, (Dept. Of Regulating Agencies) so I opened it. The first sentence said, "We regret to inform you we made a mistake on your previous letter." I thought they were going to tell me I failed and I already had the hangover to show for it. Turns out the mistake was in the the date that my EIT status was active. Hopefully only one letter or email this time saying I passed!!!

I received the letter from the state, (Colorado) stating I had passed the FE in January of 2006. I went out and celebrated. The next day there was another letter from DORA, (Dept. Of Regulating Agencies) so I opened it. The first sentence said, "We regret to inform you we made a mistake on your previous letter." I thought they were going to tell me I failed and I already had the hangover to show for it. Turns out the mistake was in the the date that my EIT status was active. Hopefully only one letter or email this time saying I passed!!!
Previous post was #24 so I just had to get #25 in!!! Good luck to all waiting for results!!!

Well to get back on topic....

When I got my EIT, it was by good old snail mail... and what was I doing? I was checking the mail.... :mellow:

Last edited by a moderator:
My Grandma had just passed away the week before, so the mood wasn't great to begin with. It was a rainy Saturday morning and I saw the mailman pass by the window. Got the mail and there was the letter. Honestly, I was positive I failed, so wasn't really looking forward to getting notification that I'd have to study again.

But, the letter was thin...could the speculation be right that this was a passing letter? Went back and opened the letter and saw that I passed. I was kinda speechless. My wife was saying, "Well? Well?" and when I told her I passed, she let out a big yell. I told her I needed to let EB know, and she said, "You'd better call your parents first," so i did. dad, a PE himself was ecstatic.

And that's how I missed out on being the first slot on the EB conrgats board (I was second).

December 15, 2007 was a good day!

Still waiting on the PE...the FE was a different situation though. I had moved and the board had my old mailing address, well the post office screwed up in forwarding our mail so about the second week in January I finally called the board to find out what the deal was and the lady explained that I had passed and the letter was sent out around the end of Dec. after congratulating me she mailed another copy of the passing letter and a week after getting the letter she sent the original one caught up to me...so the first time I was on the phone...the second time my wife called me and told me my letter had come in and the third time I was reading the mail... :D

Ahhh, I remember the day well...December 16, 2008. It was a cold, snowy day here in the western slope of Colorado, my friends. It was the second time that Colorado was using the direct email from NCEES. The previous two times that I had taken the exam, I had been notified by snail mail that I had failed. I had felt much better about the October 2008 exam (my third try). I had been a member of this board since 2007, and seen many passing scrolls on the top of the site go by, without my name on them. The damn countdown to exam and coutip waiting clock was taunting me. I was checking the state website and my NCEES account for the notification that results were in. As I recall, I checked my NCEES account around 1 PM Mountain time, and saw that the results were posted. However, you had to get a password from the email that NCEES sent. I was a nervous wreck waiting for the email to come through. Would this be the time that I had passed, and achieved something that I had worked so hard for? Would the knowledge fairy tap me on the head, bestowing me with the knowledge that comes once you get your PE? The email finally came from NCEES...my hands were shaking while clicking on the attachment. I entered that password on the NCEES site, and awaited the second email with my results. AAARRRGGGHHH! Why did it take so long? Finally, the email came, with 2 attachments. One titled "pass_fial_letter_for_1010xxxxxx" and one titled "CO Pass". While the second attachment gave me hope, I didn't trust that I had passed until I saw it with my own eyes. I opened the first attachment, and it informed me "Congratulations on achieving a passing score on the October 2008 exam and completing this important step in your

professional career." I let out a primal sream of unadulterated joy. I work in a small office; maybe four other people were in at the time. They knew immediately and congratulated me. It was about 3 PM Mountain Time when I knew for sure that I had passed. I took the rest of the afternoon off, and went home. Went in to work the next day, and had congratulations emails from people at our main office in Denver. Then the recession hit.

same thing happened to me, I almost had a heart attack when I got the second letter.

I'm afraid my answer will be obsessively checking my e-mail and the NCEES website, but here's hoping I have a good story to add.

I'm afraid my answer will be obsessively checking my e-mail and the NCEES website, but here's hoping I have a good story to add.
that's a better story than boo's, who apparently was masturbating furiously when results were released.

I was walking back to my office from a co-workers cubicle when my cell phone rang, and I noticed the number was a friend that I hadn't talked to in a while....I was wondering why in the world he would call me, but when I answered it, he just said Congratulations! I stupidly asked why....although I think I knew, and he said that the NC web site was updated, and a co-worker had checked and he passed, so he looked to see if I had and I had.

I will never forget that call.....one of the MOST exciting moments I've ever had!

^^ He may not forget THAT special moment, but he may forget getting his results because of it... :D

BTW, good job to everyone for de-railing a good thread

I was sitting at my desk in my cube at my job dealing with whatever stupid issue with my project just came up and saw (1) on my email inbox.

Thrilling.

Latest posts

Back