What does the Fox say?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. Why that one instead of the S&E 15 Laptop 64 - Precision M4800?
Actually, I didn't see there were 4 models there. I didn't see the M4800 after the 3rd model. So yes, the M4800 being the 1st choice, then the E6540. But again, I don't know what your budget is either. Do you need supplemental graphics acceleration for some type of 2D/3D CAD program? If so, the M4800 will get the job done with that quattro card. Plus it has a solid state drive which will make things run very quickly. Those specs closely rival the specs of my own personal laptop other than mine is a 17" vs. 15".

Last edited by a moderator:
There's no difference in price for us - they just give us that list and say pick one. I was leaning towards the M4800, but didn't know if it was overkill or what the difference was between them all really. Thanks for the info!

other than mine is a 17" vs. 15".
:eek:ldman: I'll have to talk to someone about that...

Good morning!

Today heralds the end of an era. After 12 years, support for Microsoft Windows XP will end today. Might be a good idea to pass this message on to anyone you know who is still running WinXP and has not yet considered making the decision to upgrade. For those who do not plan to upgrade anytime soon, I urge you to read the article I listed below. It has some very good information in it and also what I've been preaching to some of my own clients. If need be, I can post a quote of the article but it is rather lengthy.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/security/archive/2013/08/15/the-risk-of-running-windows-xp-after-support-ends.aspx

Fox,

On my work computer, when I post a reply to a thread here on EB, several of my options no longer work. The two most prominent issues are the fact that I cannot use the quick reply window again, and I cannot edit a post I just made. Basically, both "typing" windows appear, but there is no cursor and the keyboard doesn't work. It still works with other open functions, just not in the eb text windows.

Fox,

On my work computer, when I post a reply to a thread here on EB, several of my options no longer work. The two most prominent issues are the fact that I cannot use the quick reply window again, and I cannot edit a post I just made. Basically, both "typing" windows appear, but there is no cursor and the keyboard doesn't work. It still works with other open functions, just not in the eb text windows.
What browser are you using and is it up-to-date? Similar questions for your flash player and Java run time. You'd probably do well to clean out your browsing history and any other junk that my have accumulated. CCleaner is good for doing this all in one shot.

XP-EOS.png

Internet explorer 8. No clue on Flash or Java. I couldn't update them if I wanted. Like I said, it's a work computer. No, I don't really want to learn how to work around the IT administrative lock-downs installed. I am just curious if there is a checkbox somewhere that I may be able to check.

Well, as I'm sure you know, IE8 was probably the buggiest browser they released. A lot of issues and some things that just didn't work or at the very least, didn't work well. Forget about flash or Java then. But can you still run CCleaner to clean things up a bit or is that forbidden? I'm guessing you've hit a script error somewhere that's causing problems. Blowing away history, cleaning the temp dir, and clearing the cache/cookies generally fixes that. But again, it may not work since IE8 is grossly outdated. Just sayin'. ;)

Truthfully it was. we ran that on all our work stations for quite some time at work. at least 10 yrs. We finally upgraded to win7 in 2011

I never had an issue with WinME. I used it for about 6 years with no problems. Only reason I ditched it was because my HDD was failing (failed twice, actually), didn't have the memory to make XP worthwhile (256 MB), and future Mrs. MS had a laptop that was better.

TBH, I also installed and used ME for a time. I never had the issues others were reporting. Call that luck or whatever. LOL

I installed WinME one day when I was in college. It was so buggy it was unusable, and I had Win98 re-installed by the end of the day. That is the shortest time I have ever used an operating system. I think it was only installed for 7 hours.

I'm scheduled to get Win 7 at work in about a month. It's been a CF trying to get some of our applications packaged and tested for the big upgrade, dealing with contractors from India. We had IT push a test upgrade to one of our laptops and it came up with "no operating system installed." With hundreds of applications company wide and 9,000 PCs to upgrade, it will be interesting to see how well this transition goes.

One interesting thing we came across is Hyperterminal is no longer packaged with Windows, so we had to go buy a bunch of licenses for that.

^ interesting indeed with that kind of magnitude.

Hyperterminal applications can be migrated to utilize USB ports and a much more user-friendly GUI. ;) You don't see many devices/components that require HT anymore. Most things are controlled over Ethernet and web interface. And if not, then developers need to get on that. :eek:ldman:

Latest posts

Back