What does the Fox say?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I store a copy of all our videos on DVD at my parents house. Same for pictures. I need something besides my one HDD serving as my operating and backup drive, though. :unsure:

I've thought about another internal drive to serve as just a backup location as well as an external drive to perform the same service. Pros and cons of each but am still undecided.

^I keep a backup in the safe deposit box at the bank. I have two external disk drives and swap the latest backup for the one at the bank every so often. To me, cloud storage just means I'm depending on somebody else to maintain the data.

This.
I don't trust banks. Whoa, I just sounded like CW there. But I actually don't. LOL

I store a copy of all our videos on DVD at my parents house. Same for pictures. I need something besides my one HDD serving as my operating and backup drive, though. :unsure:

I've thought about another internal drive to serve as just a backup location as well as an external drive to perform the same service. Pros and cons of each but am still undecided.
This is a good solution for a RAID setup. You can get the energy efficient (green series) WD 2TB drives relatively cheap. And I believe they carry a 5 year warranty. Perfect candidates for that if you want to go internal and have added protection. Windows 7 and newer is pretty easy for setting up RAID 0 and 1 these days.

I prefer drive images over data-mirroring.

What software do you use for the drive imaging?
For my money, I use Acronis True Image. It's a solid, user-friendly imaging software that I have had no issues with. It also lets you create a bootable disk where you don't need an operating system to utilize the software for back-up/restore operations. That part that is a necessity for me. Especially when trying to recover a failed drive that won't boot anyway. The software allows you to partition and/or format new drives too which is nice. Plus it allows back-ups to network devices, not just local. So I can do back-ups over a gigabit connection to my server and it takes minutes rather than hours. ;) You can usually find the software for a pretty good discount on TigerDirect. And it's usually bundled with something else too.

Last edited by a moderator:

This is a good solution for a RAID setup. You can get the energy efficient (green series) WD 2TB drives relatively cheap. And I believe they carry a 5 year warranty. Perfect candidates for that if you want to go internal and have added protection. Windows 7 and newer is pretty easy for setting up RAID 0 and 1 these days.

Don't have a Windows 7 disc (only XP 32-bit and Vista), using Ubuntu. Except for my need for Windows to run my tax software, I'm 99% sold on Ubuntu.

Don't have a Windows 7 disc (only XP 32-bit and Vista), using Ubuntu. Except for my need for Windows to run my tax software, I'm 99% sold on Ubuntu.
Linux FTW! Though I haven't played with RAID configs in Linux much. I'm fairly certain it can handle it just fine though. Also, for your tax software, just run a Windows virtual machine within Linux and have the tax software installed there. Problem solved.

I've heard that virtual machines are iffy. I'd like to have a dual boot with XP on a very small partition, but I've also read that Windows should be installed first, otherwise there is a lot of headache involved. I'll cross that bridge at a later date.

I've heard that virtual machines are iffy. I'd like to have a dual boot with XP on a very small partition, but I've also read that Windows should be installed first, otherwise there is a lot of headache involved. I'll cross that bridge at a later date.

I was running Parallels for a while and I really liked it, but then there was a change in the way the hardware lock was handled for one of the pieces of Windows software that I use on a regular basis, had I had to switch to Bootcamp. While I will admit that there were some occasional hang ups with the virtual machine, having to reboot all of the time to go back and forth between OS is more of a pain.

Dear KF,

I just bought a ssd to replace the hard drive in my laptop. I found this go-by for doing this and I was wondering what you thought of it? Is this a good way to clone my hard drive? The ssd has enough capacity to hold all the info from my current drive, I just want to make sure that it will be bootable once I install the ssd.

Thanks!

I was running Parallels for a while and I really liked it, but then there was a change in the way the hardware lock was handled for one of the pieces of Windows software that I use on a regular basis, had I had to switch to Bootcamp. While I will admit that there were some occasional hang ups with the virtual machine, having to reboot all of the time to go back and forth between OS is more of a pain.
Depends largely on what software you were using to run your virtual machine. Some are far better than others and much more stable too.

Dear KF,

I just bought a ssd to replace the hard drive in my laptop. I found this go-by for doing this and I was wondering what you thought of it? Is this a good way to clone my hard drive? The ssd has enough capacity to hold all the info from my current drive, I just want to make sure that it will be bootable once I install the ssd.

Thanks!
EaseUS Todo is a nice free and easy to use cloning tool. Macrium Reflect is another good one as well. I prefer a paid package called Acronis True Image. Just make sure when you are cloning your HDD, that you make sure to select all options to create an exact duplicate (i.e. all partitions). That is crucial. At a minimum you will need the primary OS partition and the hidden MBR (master boot record). Often times cloning software will have the option to "restore disk signature" when performing the recovery operation. If it does, be sure to select that option. It should be a fairly seamless transition. And you can adjust your partition sizes within Windows once everything is booted up.

I can also provide a few notes on what to tweak in Windows when running a SSD vs. a HDD. ;)

Ok Fox, here are the specs: (sorry for the long post. It won't let me attach anything larger than 2kb) There are 4 laptops. I'd rather have a laptop than a desktop because sometimes I might want to take it with me. I do a lot of programming and want it to handle analysis of large raster files. But I might also want to travel with it. Maybe I need 2 separate machines - one very light for traveling and the other able to crunch numbers. Or maybe they're all fine for what I need? I just don't know how much difference it makes.

[SIZE=8pt]Name: [/SIZE][SIZE=8pt]Laptop: Performance 15 Laptop 64 - Latitude E6540 w/3yr CHESS Warranty (KYHD)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]CLIN: [/SIZE][SIZE=8pt]E6540-3[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]Type: [/SIZE][SIZE=8pt]Laptops[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]Description: [/SIZE][SIZE=8pt]Laptop: Performance 15 Laptop 64 - Latitude E6540 w/3yr CHESS Warranty (KYHD)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]Specifications: [/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit, English[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-4th Gen Intel Core i7-4600M Processor (2.9GHz, 4M Cache)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-Latitude E6540[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz DDR3L Memory[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-Intel HD Graphics 4600 with Express Card[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-US Power Cord[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-Boot Hard Drive: 2.5" 500GB Solid State Hybrid Drive[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-No Wireless WAN Card[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-Intel Ultimate -N 6300 802.11AGN Dual Band Wi-Fi Half Mini Card[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 802.11n 3x3 Half Mini Card Driver[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-Internal English Dual Pointing Backlit Keyboard[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-Dell ControlVault with Smartcard Reader and 54mm Express Card[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-8X DVD +/- RW[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-15.6" FHD (1920x1080) Anti-Glare LED[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-Microsoft Office Trail, MUI[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-No DDPE Encryption Software[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-Energy Star[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-SHIP, NBK, E6540, TAA, SHTLE, UMA[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-Dell Back-up and Recovery Manager for Windows 7, Multiple Language[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-130W AC Adapter, 3-pin[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-9-Cell (87Wh) 3 Year Limited Hardware Warranty Lithium Ion Battery[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-Light Sensitive Webcam and Noise Cancelling Digital Array Mic[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-No Power DVD[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-No Resource DVD[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-Intel Core i7 Processor Label[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-No Security Software[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-No Out-of-Band Systems Management[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-OS Media Kit Not Included[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-Software for Integrated Camera[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-Non-Microsoft Application Software[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-3 Year Basic Hardware Service with 3 Year NBD Limited Onsite -Service After Remote Diagnosis[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-Keep Your Hard Drive, 3 Years[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-No Intel Rapid Start or Smart Connect[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-BIOS Wake-on-LAN Enable[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-System Documentation, English[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-BIOS Bluetooth Disable[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-BIOS TPM Security Set to On/Enabled[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]Name: [/SIZE][SIZE=8pt]Laptop: Ultraportable Laptop 64 - Latitude E7240 w/3-Year CHESS Warranty (KYHD)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]CLIN: [/SIZE][SIZE=8pt]E7240-3[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]Description: [/SIZE][SIZE=8pt]Laptop: Ultraportable Laptop 64 - Latitude E7240 w/3-Year CHESS Warranty (KYHD)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-4th Gen Intel Core i5-4300U Processor (1.9GHz Turbo, 3M Cache)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-4th Gen Intel Core i5-4300U Processor (1.9GHz Turbo, 3M Cache), TAA[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-Latitude E7440[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz DDR3L Memory[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-Intel Integrated HD 4400 Graphics[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-Boot Hard Drive: 256GB Mobility Solid State Drive[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-No Wireless WAN Card[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-Intel Dual Band Wireless AC7260 802.11ac/a/b/g/n 2x2 + Bluetooth 4.0 LE Half Mini Card[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-Intel Wireless 7260 Driver[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-Internal English Single Pointing Backlit Keyboard[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-E7240 Universal Security Hub Palmrest with Smart Card[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-Dell Docking Spacer for E7x40[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-12.5" HD (1366X768) Anti-Glare WLED-backlit[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-E7240 Shipping Material, TAA[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-TAA Information[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-65W AC Adapter, 3-Pin[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-4-Cell (45Wh) Lithium Battery w ExpressCharge[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-2 Years Extended Battery Service for Years 2 and 3 of System Life[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-Light Sensitive Webcam and Noise Cancelling Digital Array Mic[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-No External Monitor[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-No Resource DVD[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-Regulatory Label[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-Intel Core i5 Processor Label[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-OS Media Kit Not Included[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-No Dell Backup & Recovery[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-3 Year Basic Hardware Service with 3 Year NBD Limited Onsite Service After Remote Diagnosis[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-No Intel Rapid Start or Smart Connect[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-Intel Ultrabook Logo[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-English Shipping Documents[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-No Modem[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-US No Canada Ship Charge[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-No UPC Label[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-System Documentation, English[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-Communications: Not Inlcuded[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-BIOS Bluetooth Disable[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]Name: [/SIZE][SIZE=8pt]Performance 14 Laptop 64 - Latitude E7440 w/3yr CHESS Warranty[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]CLIN: [/SIZE][SIZE=8pt]E7440-3[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]Description: [/SIZE][SIZE=8pt]Performance 14 Laptop 64 - Latitude E7440 w/3yr CHESS Warranty[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-Screen - 14" FHD (1920 x 1080) Wide View Anti-Glare WLED-backlit[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-Processor-4th Gen Intel Core i5-4300U Processor (1.9GHz, 3M Cache)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-RAM-8.0 GB, DDR3-1600MHz SDRAM, 2 DIMM x 4.0GB (8GB Max)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-Graphics-Integrated HD4400 Graphics; Drive Bays-1[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-Primary Drive-256GB SSD; Secondary Drive-None; DVD-(N/A)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-Keyboard-Internal English Backlit Dual Pointing Keyboard[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-Battery-Primary 4-Cell 47W/Hr Lithium ion Battery[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]- Battery Service-2 years Extended Battery Service for Years 2 and 3 of System Life[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]- A/C Adapter-65W AC Adapter, 3-pin[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]- Webcam-Light Sensitive Webcam and Noise Cancelling Digital Array Mic[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-Wi-Fi-Intel Dual Band Wireless AC7260 802.11ac/a/b/g/n 2x2 + --BIOS: Bluetooth 4.0 LE Half[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]Mini Card (Bluetooth will be disabled)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]BIOS: TPM Security Set to On/Enabled[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-Video Ports-1 x mDisplay Port and 1 x HDMI[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]- Ports-Three USB 3.0;;CAC Reader-Inegrated[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]- Weight-3.61 lbs[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]- Width-13.2"[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]- Depth-9.1"[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-Height-0.8"[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]- O/S-Windows 7 CGM (64-bit)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-Keep Your Drive(KYHD) -Federal Keep Your Drive Service[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]- Systems Management - No Out-of_Band Systems Management[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]Warranty: 3 Year CHESS Warranty + 3 Year KYHD[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]Name: [/SIZE][SIZE=8pt]Laptop: S&E 15 Laptop 64 - Precision M4800 w/3yr CHESS Warranty(KYHD)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]CLIN: [/SIZE][SIZE=8pt]M4800-3[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]Description: [/SIZE][SIZE=8pt]The S&E 15 Laptop 64 model provides all the capabilities of the Performance 15 Laptop 64 model. Additionally, it will[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]run CAD and GIS applications with moderately complex 3-D datasets. It will perform rendering and animation to a[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]limited degree. The syste[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]Specifications: [/SIZE][SIZE=8pt]The S&E 15 Laptop 64 model provides all the capabilities of the Performance 15 Laptop 64 model. Additionally, it will run CAD and GIS applications with moderately complex 3-D datasets. It will perform rendering and animation to a[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]limited degree. The system may be challenged by larger lidar point cloud data (>500 million points). This model comes[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]with a 64-bit OS. Please ensure your specific applications will run on 64-bit Windows.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]Specifications[/SIZE][SIZE=8pt]:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-Intel Core i7-4800MQ Processor (Quad Core, 2.7GHz 3.7GHz -Turbo, 6MB, 47W, w/HD Graphics 4600)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-Dell Precision M4800 Base[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-16GB (2x8GB) 1600MHz DDR3L Memory[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-NVIDIA QUADRO K2100M w/2GB GDDR5[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-Boot Hard Drive: 256GB SSD Full Mini Card[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-NO RAID[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-No Mobile Broadband[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-8X DVD +/- RW Drive Tray Load[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 802.11n 3x3 Half Mini Card[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 Driver[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-Internal English Backlit Dual Pointing Keyboard[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-Smartcard Reader Base for HD/FHD Panel[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-USH w/Smart Card Only[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-No Accessories[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-No Mouse[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-15.6" UltraSharp FHD (1920x1080) Wide View Anti-Glare LED-backlit w/Premium Panel Guarantee[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-TAA Shuttle[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-No Quick Reference Guide[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-180W AC Adapter[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-9-Cell (97Wh) 3 Year Warranty Lithium for battery[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-Bezel cam/mic HD+/FHD[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-Back Cover FHD Panel No WiGig[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-Resource DVD[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-Regulatory Label[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-Intel Core i7 Processor Label[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-Operating System Recovery Options: Not Included[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-PowerDVD Software not Included[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-3 Year Basic Hardware Service with 3 Year NBD Limited Onsite -Service After Remote Diagnosis[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-Secondary Drive: 2.5" 1TB Solid State Hybrid Drive[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-English Shipping Documents[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-No Additional Battery[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-US No Canada Ship Charge[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-No Optical Bay Hard Drive[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-No RFID Label[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-Dell Backup and Recovery Basic[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]-Standard Shipment[/SIZE]

^Please do.
This is a pretty good guide. NOTE, you do not need to mess with the pagefile size. At a minimum, I would verify ACHI mode, check TRIM, turn of defrag, and disable drive indexing. It would also be good to right-click on "my computer" and select properties so you can re-run your Windows Experience Index (the section that gives your PC a score).

Fox,

I'm having trouble getting my new computer to detect my wireless network. The display also doesn't seem to be working. What suggestions do you have?

Not sure of the specs on the machine, but here is a picture of it:

Old-Microwave-001.jpg

The guy I bought it from told me it was the new Apple product, the iWave.

:p

^LOL! I actually have a friend who's mom called her up to ask, "How do I download the Internet?" Her response was, "I don't know how to help you, I'm hanging up." LMAO!

For those kinds of instances, I refer to the following image:

jiFfM.jpg

Back