Total Eclipse of the ?? (Heart) .. no the sun

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's the partial eclipse as viewed from the village of Birch Creek, Alaska, almost on the Arctic Circle.  The clouds were just perfect for looking at it without eclipse glasses.  (ow, my eyes!!!)

Birck Creek eclipse small.jpg

It was worth the trip to see it.  Cape Girardeau opened up their brand new shiny "Sportsplex" and offered free parking for the event.  The building was air conditioned with bathrooms and food service.  The parking lot was full but not over-crowded and the drive back to my mother's house was normal.  I have no idea how nuts it was in Perryville (center-line) but the traffic heading there didn't seem abnormally heavy from our vantage point.

We started driving North three hours after it was over and didn't hit any traffic until we were 30 miles North of St. Louis on I-55.  Don't know if the congestion was eclipse related or an accident but it kept getting worse so we wound up taking back roads to get to our hotel in Springfield.  Drove the rest of the way home today.

The center-line of the next one goes right over my sister's house.  We're planning to watch it from their deck.
both. mr snick was driving back from working closer to STL and there were at LEAST 3 accidents in the stretch of 30 miles or so.  

You drove right past us then at exit #52. 

^We left the interstate at Mt. Olive and continued North on IL-4.  Not a bad drive if you're not in a hurry. 

It was worth the trip to see it.  Cape Girardeau opened up their brand new shiny "Sportsplex" and offered free parking for the event.  The building was air conditioned with bathrooms and food service.  The parking lot was full but not over-crowded and the drive back to my mother's house was normal.  I have no idea how nuts it was in Perryville (center-line) but the traffic heading there didn't seem abnormally heavy from our vantage point.

We started driving North three hours after it was over and didn't hit any traffic until we were 30 miles North of St. Louis on I-55.  Don't know if the congestion was eclipse related or an accident but it kept getting worse so we wound up taking back roads to get to our hotel in Springfield.  Drove the rest of the way home today.

The center-line of the next one goes right over my sister's house.  We're planning to watch it from their deck.
But did you have a horseshoe or head west while in Springfield? 

We're going to be close to all the chaos during the next eclipse in 2024.  The west side of Cincinnati is going to be on the southern limit of the total eclipse.  The center will be just south of Indianapolis so hopefully most people will be trying to camp out over there.  Guess I should buy up all the leftover eclipse glasses now so I'll be ready to gouge people in 7 years.
We're also near the region of totality for the next one (Vermont).  I'll start renting out tent spaces in the field now.

Took the wife and kids to Casper, WY on top of Casper Mtn. Great view and apparently the american astronomical union had a conference in town and Monday was the last day having the eclipse be the end of the conference. Got to learn a lot more than I bargained for from some really smart people there.

It got chilly fast once the totality started, temperatures dropped from 70 to 60 almost instantly when the suns rays weren't hitting the Earth. I could imagine the earth freezing over in hours if the sun weren't warming it. Like others have said there is a massive difference between 99% and 100% occulted. Once the moon covered up the sun the corona was amazingly beautiful but none of our cameras could capture it. 

Thats really cool mgx.  I have a friend who was also in casper.  Glad it was a good show.

Back