Total Eclipse of the ?? (Heart) .. no the sun

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A relative is going to a wedding in Nashville this weekend and due some unforeseen events ended up needing a hotel room for Sunday at the last minute.  Looking online virtually everything is sold out except for high end hotels asking $500-600+ for the night apparently because Nashville is in the 100% path and people are going nuts.  Fortunately he managed to get some accommodations but WOW.  I used Orbitz and the cheapest room offering was>$500 last night.

Dude on our neighborhood website is getting roasted (on Nextdoor) for this....lols....IMG_0751.PNG

$100 worth of beer and a TV/Computer to watch it sounds like a good deal to me.

Dude on our neighborhood website is getting roasted (on Nextdoor) for this....lols....
People are assholes.  There are some doing the same thing here.  The libraries and local observatory were giving them away for free.  You know those a-holes went in and grabbed a stack of them figuring they'd put them on eBay or Craigslist.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I had known it'd be like this, I'd have bought a case, taken the day off work, and sold them off the side of I-85 in SC.

This was just before 6 am here - reverse traffic heading up to Wyoming!  

Wife and oldest son left at 4 am and texted me that it's insane and totally not with it (thus far)

IMG_0773.PNG

a relative just checked out of his hotel in Nashville and they gave him a voucher for two free sets of eclipse glasses.  He had  the day off and his plan was to fly from Nashville home to DC and go watch the eclipse.  His flight was supposed to leave at 10AM so he had time to get home before it.  Well, the airlines used the eclipse to blame for his flight delay of 2+ hours.  He's stuck at the Nashville airport and it looks like the day was a complete bust.

Really?!? flight delays because of the eclipse?!!.  pretty sad.

that is sad.  flights land at night, at dusk, at sunrise all the time.  The crew on the ground just want to be see it.  

snuck out and took a look, have to admit it was pretty cool looking maybe 10% coverage - sad thing is now like 10 coworkers know I have the glasses and want to "borrow them" :(  

Big ass cloud hovering overhead right now, LOL.

Not sure what this means...

things about 90% covered and it still pretty light out..

IMG_0779.PNG

One coworker of mine had the glasses and gladly shared them with us. Another had these awesome binoculars (he's engaged to an astronomy teacher) and he lent them around also. Not to strangers, but to our firm's staff that asked. I got a look through both. Even 75% coverage was pretty cool!

I have a yellow sticky note with a hole in it. 

That's just a mirage from the sun reflecting off the moon, which like the earth, is flat.

big ass cloud  over us...thought it would get dark...but it was just like a cloudy day,  The pin hole method didn't really work

Pin hole method worked great here. Clear skys probably helped. Made the hole really small at first and didnt do much. Went to 1/8" and was great. A bunch of folks brought welding lenses to office as well. I thought it was a pretty cool experience.

Back