Things to do in London

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like you had great weather. In all the times I've been to London, I think I had one morning of sunlight.

There's so much culture to see in London. You can see a few great sights in one trip, I recommend you use a journey planner to plot your sites so you get to see as much as you can while you're there.

Looks like you had great weather. In all the times I've been to London, I think I had one morning of sunlight.
we had great weather until the last few days. I don't recommend visiting the Tower of London in pouring rain. We ended up going to see a couple of matinee performances (Wicked and Romeo & Juliet) that last two days cuz of the rain.

Highly recommend the oyster card for the underground...way more convienent than trying to buy and keep track of little paper tickets anytime you wanted to ride the subway!
I just got back too... and we used the Oyster cards instead of the paper tix or the unlimited daily/3 day/ 5 day passes.

We spent 5 days in London (after I was in the English countryside for work for 2 weeks - stark difference!!) and we took it slow, for the most part. Sure, we didn't hit quite everything, but there's just SO much to do. If we tried to pack our time with an overly detailed itinerary, we might not have appreciated everything as much. Plus we were fairly low-budget so I didn't want to pay to see the inside of, say, Windsor Castle, if I hadn't seen all the free stuff yet, either.

My favorites? Probably seeing the Rosetta stone in the British Museum and watching Les Miserables (both gave me goosebumps!) in one of the West End theaters. Of course Big Ben and Parliament, Westminster Abbey, St. Paul's, Covent Garden, Tower Bridge, Tower of London, and the Shakespeare Globe were very cool too, to name just a few.

We stayed in the Canary Wharf area - which is a very new-ish, skyscraper-filled business area built over the old Quays and wharf district. It was not very touristy, but I liked it for that very reason. (At dinner, we were surrounded by business people rather than gaggles of high schoolers.) Waterfront restaurants were everywhere and other eating and shopping options were abundant. Plus, everything was clean and pretty and didn't smell bad! :) The weather was pretty much perfect too.

My time in the Norfolk and Suffolk regions was very pleasant, and the people were wonderful. If you'd like any recommendations, I can pass them on.

My favorites? Probably seeing the Rosetta stone in the British Museum and watching Les Miserables (both gave me goosebumps!) in one of the West End theaters. Of course Big Ben and Parliament, Westminster Abbey, St. Paul's, Covent Garden, Tower Bridge, Tower of London, and the Shakespeare Globe were very cool too, to name just a few.
The rosetta stone was cool to see. Did you just take the tour of the Globe or see a play? We saw Romeo and juliet, but we paid extra for the seats. 5pounds is a good deal, but i didn't want to stand for 3 hours

The rosetta stone was cool to see. Did you just take the tour of the Globe or see a play? We saw Romeo and juliet, but we paid extra for the seats. 5pounds is a good deal, but i didn't want to stand for 3 hours
No, but we tried to see a show (As You Like It). The showings we wanted were already sold out, and we weren't sure if we'd have time to go see it another day. I'm sure I would have enjoyed it though, and my tired feet would have welcomed the break. We were cheap but wanted the full experience (but not so cheap that we'd stand for 3 hours), so if we couldn't watch it, we wouldn't want to just take a tour - thus, we just walked in and around it as much as we could for free.

we had great weather until the last few days. I don't recommend visiting the Tower of London in pouring rain. We ended up going to see a couple of matinee performances (Wicked and Romeo & Juliet) that last two days cuz of the rain.
I think your bad weather that hit London was the same that gave us the freak hailstorms up in other parts of England. There was so much hail that the piles looked like snow drifts, some of which had not melted fully even more than a day later. The locals all told us they had never seen weather like it before.

Back