Things to do in London

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I loved the history of the place. So much to see, I suggest reading some books before you go.

Also, the women are the following:

1)Pretty (well at least decent)

2)Loose

3)Sober

Pick any 2.

Why to credit card companies charge a 3% fee on every purchase made overseas? Today's business world is all electronic, it's not like there is a person entering the transaction. Even the checkcard/debit will charge a 3% fee to all transactions. :angry:

Why to credit card companies charge a 3% fee on every purchase made overseas? Today's business world is all electronic, it's not like there is a person entering the transaction. Even the checkcard/debit will charge a 3% fee to all transactions. :angry:
I didn't know this... though it's interesting that in the U.S., the retailer pays for that fee rather than the customer.

Last time I went to Europe (not the UK), it was easier just to go to an ATM to get your Euros every day or few days. You pay a small ATM fee, and then you can pay in cash for your multiple stops that day.

I didn't know this... though it's interesting that in the U.S., the retailer pays for that fee rather than the customer.
Last time I went to Europe (not the UK), it was easier just to go to an ATM to get your Euros every day or few days. You pay a small ATM fee, and then you can pay in cash for your multiple stops that day.
Funny you guys should bring this up. I was just researching this, specifically for England too. As far as credit cards go, Capital One Visa apparently not only doesn't charge you a fee for foreign currency conversions but they also waive the 1% transaction fee imposed by Visa. I haven't tried using a Capital One visa across the pond, but it sounds like it's free from fees.

http://www.capitalone.com/search/?qt=inter...pitalone.com%2F

Also, Bank of America has a global ATM alliance with several banks, in the UK that bank is Barclays. So you can avoid fees by opening a BOA account here and withdrawing from Barclays ATM's there

https://www4.bankofamerica.com/search/Searc...mp;locale=en_US

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_ATM_Alliance

I haven't tried either of these options before. I know someone that just got back from a global jaunt (England, France, Austria, China) who brought this info to my attention. I'll have to ask if he was truly able to get away without being hammered with fees.

I'll have to ask if he was truly able to get away without being hammered with fees.
Thanks for the tips. Last time I went for a full summer, I also used a Capital One Visa card with a 0% interest rate so I didn't have worry about paying off the balance each month. I think I'll use a BoA ATM card based on your research. :) I also use a credit union but I doubt they'd waive the ATM fees.

Please do let us know what your friend says.

My wife and I honeymooned in London... we did a ton of day trips based on the flyers we found in our hotel (we stayed in London).

Avon, Salsbury, Stonehenge, Bath, Buckingham, Harrods, Westminster, the Thames River cruise, museums, Tower of London, palaces, etc.

I wanted to get to a horse track while we were there, but nothing was easy to get to unless we drove or took a very expensive cab.

Trafalgar Square

Roam around Picadilly Circus

St. James Park is a nice walk

If you go to the Tower of London, wait for a tour to start, the Yeoman Warders really make it a lot more enjoyable.

I thought Windsor Castle was worth the time to get there They also have some demonstrations on the grounds that are worth seeing.

I don't regret riding on the eye, but I wouldn't do it again.

The changing of the guard isn't all it's cracked up to be, but it's not every day so plan for it if you want to see it.

London is a great city, I can recommend some hotels if you'd like. Taxis hurt there though. The last time I was there, I took a taxi 1 mile from the airport to a hotel. The fare was over $10 before we left the parking lot, ended up being around $20.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back