Things to do in London

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
London is a great city, I can recommend some hotels if you'd like. Taxis hurt there though. The last time I was there, I took a taxi 1 mile from the airport to a hotel. The fare was over $10 before we left the parking lot, ended up being around $20.
We are cashing in our Hilton honors points for the hotel, I think we are staying at a doubletree that used to be an old courthouse in the Soho district.

The hubby is an experienced underground rider, so taxi riding should be at a minimum.

you're missing out
Nah, plenty of stuff to see right here in the ole USA . Plus, Erope is a little too claustrophobic for me. My parents have been a few times since they retire. I love their pictures, but cringe internally just thinking about how close everybody is crammed together there. I'm a wide open place guy.

As a frame of reference, I freaked out hen I went downtown ATL and haven't been to anything remotely big since then. I hated it.

Nah, plenty of stuff to see right here in the ole USA . Plus, Erope is a little too claustrophobic for me. My parents have been a few times since they retire. I love their pictures, but cringe internally just thinking about how close everybody is crammed together there. I'm a wide open place guy.
As a frame of reference, I freaked out hen I went downtown ATL and haven't been to anything remotely big since then. I hated it.
You should try Hong Kong some time. They ran out of real estate, so everything started going up. Almost everybody lives in high rise apartment buildings. I hit the subway right at rush hour one time...that was a sight to behold. I'm 6'2", so I could see across the entire station, but it was nothing but a see of bobbing black hair.

but cringe internally just thinking about how close everybody is crammed together there
Have you considered a relaxing vacation to New York City?

I don't regret riding on the eye, but I wouldn't do it again. The changing of the guard isn't all it's cracked up to be, but it's not every day so plan for it if you want to see it.

London is a great city, I can recommend some hotels if you'd like.
Ooh, please do keep the recommendations coming. I only have 5-6 days there (tacked on after a business trip) but I want to see the best stuff in my short time.

Also... I'm doing some online research on this but it's tough to find details. Upon arriving I'd like to buy a pay-as-you SIM card in England and change out my SIM card on my phone.

Anybody know how much this typically costs? I found this: http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/mobile-phon.../pay-as-you-go/... but how much will it typically cost to call long distance to the U.S.?

And if you anyone has a better or alternative suggestion, let me know!

1. Get in a fistfight
  2. Eat a Cornish pasty (I know you said London, so if you can't find a pasty at least get a doner kebab)
  3. Drink some proper tea (none of that Earl Grey junk; try PG Tips)
  4. Try the spotted dick

^ Cornish Pasties kick ass!

i've tried to make them with no success of recreating the awesomeness of this one shop in Bath.

Have you considered a relaxing vacation to New York City?
I had a great time on the infamous No. 7 train a few weeks back after checking out the new Citi Field. Nothing like being wedged together far beyond the limits of safe occupancy with a bunch of people with meat sweats and beer farts on an 85 degree day.

At least I was on the Super Express 7 back to Grand Central. My lovely gameday companion then opined whether difference between the Super Express 7 and the Express 7 was analogous to the difference between the Super Adventure Club and the Adventure Club.

I'm with you there. I'm 20 miles from Boston but haven't just gone there to see the sights in the year I've lived here. Though granted I have seen several of the bit tourist places in the past. I'm fortunate to live by several of the reservoirs that serve the area. There are some really nice state parks out this way where you have no idea you're not in a huge, sprawling subburb.

Okay, so this isn't exactly in London, but I thought I'd mention it b/c you're only going to be day's drive away

Falkrikwheelanimationmedium.gif

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/falk...heel/index.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falkirk_Wheel

I'll be in England this summer, and we are planning on heading up to northern England/southern Scotland for a portion of our trip. I will be tantalizingly close to this, I may have to insist we take a break from touring the countryside and old castles and go see this thing in person.

Is it sad that I really haven't been all that excited about taking this trip until now? :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, so this isn't exactly in London, but I thought I'd mention it b/c you're only going to be day's drive away
Falkrikwheelanimationmedium.gif

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/falk...heel/index.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falkirk_Wheel

I'll be in England this summer, and we are planning on heading up to northern England/southern Scotland for a portion of our trip. I will be tantalizingly close to this, I may have to insist we take a break from touring the countryside and old castles and go see this thing in person.

Is it sad that I really haven't been all that excited about taking this trip until now? :D
I believe that you just PROVED that you're an engineer. So the answer to your question is yes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ooh, please do keep the recommendations coming. I only have 5-6 days there (tacked on after a business trip) but I want to see the best stuff in my short time.
Also... I'm doing some online research on this but it's tough to find details. Upon arriving I'd like to buy a pay-as-you SIM card in England and change out my SIM card on my phone.

Anybody know how much this typically costs? I found this: http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/mobile-phon.../pay-as-you-go/... but how much will it typically cost to call long distance to the U.S.?

And if you anyone has a better or alternative suggestion, let me know!
I'm not sure on the SIM card, but be sure to unlock your phone before you go there, I had to wait 3 days for my unlock code. If there's only one person calling you, consider getting a phone card and having them call your new cell number.
Every trip I seem to pass through Covent Garden, not a must see, but there's food and shopping so if you're nearby it's worth stopping at. I finally went to Harrod's on the last trip, lots of high end shopping in there. If you want to buy stuff branded "Harrod's" (women seem to like these gifts), go to the bottom floor. The rest of the place is just a giant store of things you can buy elsewhere.

Ask if anyone you know has an Oyster card you can borrow. If you're going to use the Underground a lot it's nice to have.

See, I wouldn't have known about cool stuff like this if wasn't for this board. Thank you! Is it sad that I really want to go see this now?

See, I wouldn't have known about cool stuff like this if wasn't for this board. Thank you! Is it sad that I really want to go see this now?
when are you going? We leave Tuesday night for a wednesday late morning arrival.

Back