The Walking Dead

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^Probably not. If you will recall, that was the ultimate solution to the Simpson's gorilla infestation in Springfield. The gorillas had been introduced to kill the snakes, IIRC, whcih had been in to kill the mongooses, which had been brought in to kill the lizards which Bart had accidentally released into the wild. The gorillas would freeze to death once winter came, so all was good in the end.

FW: zombies are not a species. zombies are a disease. Plus, they just crave human flesh. They don't need it to "survive". However, I am uncertain just how long a zombie can "live". The half-bodied zombie in the first episode seems to me to be pretty instructive: at some point, there just won't be enough muscle tissue left for them to move. So the lifespan of a zombie is probably limited by the rate of decomposition. I would think that in a warm climate, like Altanta, they would decompose pretty quickly and become immobile within, say, a week or two.

^^^ What about the opposite. In the freezing weather they would freeze up in no time. Im assuming zombies dont have a nice flow of warm blood to keep them from freezing. Just wait until mid december and go zombie smashing.

The other thing that I dont get in a lot of zombie movies (but on thing that Walking Dead gets right) is the density of zombies. Despite its rather large population the US is, in most areas, rather sparsely populated. Other then the North East and West coast once you get out of major cities you can go miles in any direction and not run into a lot of people. If you factor in the tendancy of zombies to "clump" into massive herds (this is topic is discussed in the Walking Dead comic actually) then it would further concentrate the zombie population and leave even larger sections of country side vacant.

I think it would be fun to sit on top of a 113 with a 50 caliber machine gun and unlimited ammo..

I also hope the writers of this show dont go off the deep end too early (like LOST, Weeds, Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy, etc)

For every zombie created and/or person killed thats one less person scavenging for food, gas and ammo.
Heres a very good article I read a while back about why a zombie apocolypse would fail:

http://www.cracked.com/article_18683_7-sci...il-quickly.html

Heres what I never understood about zombies. Humans are zombies food source. Yet humans are also the way zombies reproduce. So as a "species" zombies have to decided between eating or reproducing. How long can a species like that survive? Of course if zombies are already dead, why do they eat? Can they starve?
Best line of the article:

"That's like having to fight a lion every time you to want to have sex or make a sandwich."

awsome.

went to lunch today to see some of the zombie hoarde by my office. It was pretty cool to see. For those of you who watched the show, al the main characters came over to the "small" yes small crowd of bystanders and let them take pictures and stuff, then they piled into a van to drive off for lunch. I guess all the stage crew are union, and by God, they will stop work at 12:00 and go to lunch!

I should have brought my better camera cause I could have gotten soem good pics If I had a better lense.. will post some crappy camera phone pics shortly!

this is a picture of "Rick" the main character - getting chased by the hoarde, again I will bring the good camera next time!

zombie.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
went to lunch today to see some of the zombie hoarde by my office. It was pretty cool to see. For those of you who watched the show, al the main characters came over to the "small" yes small crowd of bystanders and let them take pictures and stuff, then they piled into a van to drive off for lunch. I guess all the stage crew are union, and by God, they will stop work at 12:00 and go to lunch!
I should have brought my better camera cause I could have gotten soem good pics If I had a better lense.. will post some crappy camera phone pics shortly!

this is a picture of "Rick" the main character - getting chased by the hoarde, again I will bring the good camera next time!
That is SO cool RG! Thanks for sharing! We actually just re-watched a few episodes this past weekend to re-acclimate ourselves with how the first season ended. Can't wait to start watching the new season. :)

looks like the local news was there at the same time you were? You didn't want to give them an interview?

http://www.accessatlanta.com/video?bcpid=7...id=991337653001

the "crew" people were getting annoyed by all the people with camera's out there, at one point I told them this was a public street and there wasnt much they could do about it..

when I got back to the office... we have traffic cameras all over the county, and we had pulled up the camera at the signal closest by and it was the best seat in the house in terms of watching the "action" I imagine the producers would have a **** fit if they new that they were being watched (and recorded)

I got hooked on this a few weeks ago when I found out I could watch the whole first season on our On-Demand. Season two has been deemed worthy of a "Record Series" on the DVR.

One thing that came to me while watching the beginning of season two listening to the old man bitch about the RV for the ump-teenth time...you've got abandoned cars everywhere, why in god's name do you pick the old crappy RV?

Season 2 started great bug the last hour was very s. L. O. W. ............

My 8 year old snuck in his brothers room an watched it and couldn't fall asleep..... Maybe that will teach him a life lesson...

I'm actually a little surprised at some of the stuff they are getting away with on Walking Dead and even more so on American Horror Story on FX....AHS is borderline HBO type stuff.

On a side note, from what I saw in the commercials for the new western series coming to AMC in the beginning of November looks like it might be promising too. Forget the name but it starts Nov. 6 I think.

Watched episode 201. I love how every time they touch a zombie, it sounds like a sack of rotten tomatoes explodes. Anybody know where i can watch episode two online? I dont have AMC.

Watched episode 201. I love how every time they touch a zombie, it sounds like a sack of rotten tomatoes explodes. Anybody know where i can watch episode two online? I dont have AMC.
Download the torrent file. btjunkie.org

The first two have been pretty good. The antagonist redneck has turned into a good guy overnight but other than that its keeping the same feel. I hope it doesnt slow down too much though. Theyre supposed to be headed to some fort and theve only gotten a few miles before they had to stop for (at least) two episodes.

its been pretty good so far, kept my attention, but its starting to slow down a bit each episode, I guess with the AMC budget they cant afford to have more than 10 minutes of "shooting zombies and stuff" each episode...

I don't think you can apply logic to a science fiction show:)

But since we are.... Do we really think that the entire military with automatic weapons, napalm, etc could get over run?

One company of rangers held off the entire city of Mogadishu and those people were alive and shooting back!

I don't think you can apply logic to a science fiction show:)

But since we are.... Do we really think that the entire military with automatic weapons, napalm, etc could get over run?

One company of rangers held off the entire city of Mogadishu and those people were alive and shooting back!
Agreed on the military being able to hold their own.

Major Highway said:
No, I'm pretty sure that the military would be able to hold their own, especially in the armored vehicles. I've considered what I would do during a Zombie apocalypse, and the first thing I would do is find an armored vehicle and stock it full of food. I'd prefer an MRAP, because it has more room for excess food and guns, but I'd make do with a High Maneuverability Military Wheeled Vehicle (HMMWV - Humvee). I'd also make sure I had a battle buddy to man the M240B mounted in the turret while I drive and we could switch off with driving / gunning duties. This seems like the most realistic survival plan that I can think of, keep the team small so it's easier to identify infections and easier to communicate, and be surrounded by bite proof steel and high quality firepower.
I like your plan. But to take it one step further, I'm currently in search of a contractor that can begin construction on my new zombie-proof house. ;)

Back