The wait is killing me

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
geez,,,10lb? i remebered last year when I study PE, i also went to the gym, not to lose weight, just to lose the damn nervousness and the damn stress. so I did not gain any weight! oh, by the by,  I also played piano!!!

geez,,,10lb? i remebered last year when I study PE, i also went to the gym, not to lose weight, just to lose the damn nervousness and the damn stress. so I did not gain any weight! oh, by the by,  I also played piano!!!
Yes unfortunately when I study I get the munchies BAD....anyway... as of this morning I had already lost 6 so very happy about that...just a matter of drinking more water, EATING healthier and of course working out. 

So cool that you play the piano as well, they do say that mathematicians make good musicians... and us engineers are "supposed" to be good at math so... haha... I had my piano tuned days after the exam with the express purpose of replacing study time with practice time...

Yes unfortunately when I study I get the munchies BAD....anyway... as of this morning I had already lost 6 so very happy about that...just a matter of drinking more water, EATING healthier and of course working out. 

So cool that you play the piano as well, they do say that mathematicians make good musicians... and us engineers are "supposed" to be good at math so... haha... I had my piano tuned days after the exam with the express purpose of replacing study time with practice time...
I gained 15 lbs because of this test...

Well that and the local Pizzeria who delivered in 15 minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:

nice job for losing 6! well, no idea engineers are prone to playing piano well. I just felt like playing piano looks so cool, lol.  I started playing from the date I got the PE results. so now i am still like entry level,,,,,ugh, I have hard time to play chord inversion and 4-note chords. how can you overcome this!?

I see. So does this result in a lower cut score? I know it’s not available information but I had to guess a lot and felt like there were many questions I didn’t study so left the test feeling like I failed, and still feel like that despite 3 months of studying and taking a course. 
Welcome to the Phase 4, subphase a: full blown doubt and trying to calculate the cut-score! ;)

There isn't anyway way to determine if these meetings will raise or lower the cut score. Every new test in every discipline has these meetings and the results of these meetings are baked into the cut scores of previous tests.  So in the grand scheme of things it probably won't move deviate from the average anyway.

Recall that the "cut score" is really the number of correctly designed test problems that a minimally competent PE would get correct. As a gedanken you can break questions down into a few broad categories:

1. easy questions that all PEs would get correct
  2. medium questions that most PEs would get correct (ex: 67%)
  3. hard questions and specialized knowledge questions that a few PEs would get correct but more than 25% would get correct (ex: 33%)
  4. really hard questions that =<25% of PEs would get correct, i.e. worse than guessing. These questions may exist to force the examinee to waste time attempting to solve these questions rather than spend time on the lower hanging fruit above.
  5. FUBAR'd questions that are just wrong and should be tossed
Add all the total in (1), a whole number fraction of (2) [ex: 2/3 of (2)], a lower whole number fraction of (3) [ex: 1/3 of (3)], and maybe some tiny fraction from (4) and you get the cut score. This isn't actually how the arrive at the cut score but it's close enough for demonstration purposes. The numbers I provided above are arbitrary and should be treated as such.

Really it's probably closer to a weighted fraction summation of my simplified categories 1-4 combined with some fancy statistics,  and it's done via having a large enough sample of PEs take the test and get their average score, or average minimum score for different combinations of problems.

People like to talk about questions being tossed and it's not that common. An overabundance of cat 3 questions or a question being too hard (cat 4) is different than it being unfit (cat 5). The former don't count much towards the cut score. The latter have a weight of zero. The committees would usually only "toss" a question if there was an error in the question itself. Something like:

• two or more of the multiple-choice answers are identical, this happens way more often than it should
  • the correct answer isn't one of the choices available, this does not necessarily apply to "most nearly questions"
  • more than one correct answer (in which case they wouldn't toss the question, but instead would give credit to anyone who filled in the circle on any of the correct answers.
  • the question is worded is a confusing or ambiguous manner, not to be confused with carefully questions that are meant to deceive those who did not carefully read the question, and sometimes the question will still count but with one or more new correct answers
  • typos, transcription, and printing errors, and sometimes the question will still count but with a new correct answer

Last edited by a moderator:
go to the gym also, run run run!!!! sweat sweat sweat!!! make your life busy in a good way!

I didn't gain anything during the study period. But I went to the gym during the wait period to both burn off stress and get in shape . Combined with eating healthier, I lost 20lbs over that two month period. I dropped another 40+ afterwards as I kept at it. I've kept off the fat since. The anxiety of waiting for the results was actually a good thing for my long term health.

nice job for losing 6! well, no idea engineers are prone to playing piano well. I just felt like playing piano looks so cool, lol.  I started playing from the date I got the PE results. so now i am still like entry level,,,,,ugh, I have hard time to play chord inversion and 4-note chords. how can you overcome this!?
Thanks !.... and there are plenty of easy to follow videos on YouTube about chord inversions etc... check them out. I've learned a lot from them myself.

It sucks doesn't it...I mean, you're sitting on a chair at work for 8+ hours... then you go home and sit on another chair for 3 or so hours every day. Do that for 3 months while you eat and eat and the result is 2 additional inches around the waist... ugghh... ohh well. Hopefully it'll all be worth it when we get our results in a few weeks.

It sucks doesn't it...I mean, you're sitting on a chair at work for 8+ hours... then you go home and sit on another chair for 3 or so hours every day. Do that for 3 months while you eat and eat and the result is 2 additional inches around the waist... ugghh... ohh well. Hopefully it'll all be worth it when we get our results in a few weeks.

How did your guys gain weight? Mine was 61 kg, I dropped to 50 kg ( one morning was 49.5) after the exam.

Only 3 months, I became a skeleton. I feel I transformed from fat Majin Buu to the slim one.... 

I gained a little back now, but only 52.5 this morning. 

Buus.jpg

Looks like NCEES is no longer accepting feedback on the questions. It's been wrapped up. Ask me how I know.

Yes, how do you know?
Out of anxiety, I check NCEES every now and then. The website had the landing page that directs you on to provide feedback on the April 2018 questions. It's no longer there as we move towards day 21 after the exams.

Out of anxiety, I check NCEES every now and then. The website had the landing page that directs you on to provide feedback on the April 2018 questions. It's no longer there as we move towards day 21 after the exams.
They might have flagged your account for increased scrutiny due to what appeared to them as a ddos attack. 

Latest posts

Back