The Running Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got our shirts started:

PocketProtector.jpg

I've finally gotten back to doing an honest 20 miles a week for the last month. its pretty amazing how much better I sleep, eat, etc when I have this constant in my life.. It does take up a significant amount of time If I don't get it done in the morning though!

seriously, should we make this a thing?  I do better and stay more focused with a goal.

I say yes! For the particular race I did this past weekend? It's called Ragnar Trail Snowmass. Details are here for this year's race, though I doubt much will change next year.

https://www.runragnar.com/event-detail/trail/snowmass_co

Basically, teams vary from 4 to 8 people. If you have 8 people, you run three legs for a total of 14.4 miles, and if you have 4 people, you run twice that. If you have 5, 6, or 7 people, you figure out who's running what legs as a team. Can we drum up enough interest for at least 6 people? I don't think I'd be down to run 6 legs myself, though I suppose with a year's notice, I could work up to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm game- my travel ability is limited to being drained financially by 3 HS kids for a few more years but snowmass I can do!!

just to be clear, I am NOT a runner and i live at 400ft elevation!

I am a tentative yes. Snowmass is close enough and the loop option means we don't have to chase people in a van, which is what has put me off of other RAGNAR events. 

Yes sir! How about you? I would rather drink beer in riverview and spray runners with supersoakers though!
I think I will.  My in-laws are here, so as long as I can get out of the house i will go.  But I will most likely walk a lot of it.  I've only been running 5k lately and been on the edge of shin splints.  Drinking beer and spraying runners sounds like more fun.  

I really don't think that unless you live above 10K FT there are any real benefits of living at 5K or 6K ft and running uphill at high elevation  (shit its hard enough just walking uphill at 10K feet and above)

I really don't think that unless you live above 10K FT there are any real benefits of living at 5K or 6K ft and running uphill at high elevation  (shit its hard enough just walking uphill at 10K feet and above)
Agreed. There is little point, unless you're training for some ultramarathon, Ironman, or something like that. But even in that case, you're probably already living somewhere at considerable elevation.

For me, hiking the uphills, jogging the flats, and running the downhills works great. And trust me, I took a very liberal definition of "uphill" in this relay I just did! Haha.

I am a tentative yes. Snowmass is close enough and the loop option means we don't have to chase people in a van, which is what has put me off of other RAGNAR events. 
I'm in if you're bringing "the truck". :D

In which I call shotgun.

You mean gate bitch? 

(Never call shotgun in a ranch truck. Always call driver or middle. Shotgun means you have to open and close all the gates.)
Yep, did that up north at the cabin when I was younger. But it was only one gate. Not sure what the typical number of gates a ranch has.

Back