The Running Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have a few indoor tracks around here, similar to yours in that they take many, many laps to make a mile.  I opted for the treadmill in the garage with Netflix, mostly because of the time it saves me not driving to a gym.  The gym on post is free for me, too, but it's in the opposite direction from my house, and would add about 30 minutes total to my daily driving.  

I should just get some yak tracks and go running out in the real world, and get used to the cold before everything turns to slush and mud next month and sends me indoors for a few more weeks.  Generally it's been above zero after work here lately.

yesterday I went and ran, I didn't even use a normal watch or bring music. I wonder if that still even counts as running anymore?
Yes! This is my preferred way to run. I have even stopped using Charity Miles temporarily until I figure out how to make it work on my Android phone without having it live on my homescreen at all times. So, that means no phone! The track workout was an exception, and for working on my speed, a watch would be very useful.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use mapmyrun. I like it for mapping runs and keeping track of times.  I've also started using Motion-X gps for when I'm in the woods and don't have a cell signal (somehow my phone still gets gps??).  You can export the tracks as kmz files and map them out.

Got a good 10.6 mile run in on Saturday! Thus, I see myself as prepared for my half marathon this Sunday. Legs are a feeling it a little, but I walked all over the city yesterday (to the tune of 6+ miles), which I think helped them to feel not so terrible today.

Even though @knight1fox3 says I should stop running so much and get to where I want to be in my studies... I ran my half marathon yesterday and set a new PR! 8:15 pace. I surprised myself! It was not a super challenging course, but was challenging enough (including a bitch of a hill at mile 8). I was able to effectively utilize my technique for running up steeper inclines, which is to forestrike more than normal (I already run in minimalist shoes with a, I think, 4mm drop) which helps me not to lose speed and instead spring myself forward and upward. It worked well!

Also, the course was beautiful. I was unexpectedly running through vineyards!

We have a few indoor tracks around here, similar to yours in that they take many, many laps to make a mile.  I opted for the treadmill in the garage with Netflix, mostly because of the time it saves me not driving to a gym.  The gym on post is free for me, too, but it's in the opposite direction from my house, and would add about 30 minutes total to my daily driving.  

I should just get some yak tracks and go running out in the real world, and get used to the cold before everything turns to slush and mud next month and sends me indoors for a few more weeks.  Generally it's been above zero after work here lately.
someone said the West Valley HS track was cleared of snow.  The Beat Beethoven 5k is April 15th, are you going to run it @Dleg?

That might be my first run off the treadmill since September.  I'll probably fall on my face.

No, my knees need it! Got a trail relay race at 8000' coming up in just about a month. :)
Sure thing. In about 5 or 10 yrs, don't be surprised at your new method of transportation.

girl-in-wheelchair-clipart-1.jpg

I doubt it'll be the running that does me in. I think I'll probably have kiddos that prevent me from working out as regularly as I tend to before I end up in a wheel chair! But I think there's another thread for that...

EDIT: Unless I fall and seriously injure myself, which I will not say is out of the question. Heck, I could fall on any run I go on, for no apparent reason. But if I were afraid of that, I wouldn't bike because I was afraid of getting hit by a car. I wouldn't do yoga for fear of straining muscles. As long as I have good form, run in shoes that are good for my stride, take my rest days, cross train, and don't burn myself out, I think I'm good! :)

Back