The Running Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Too many and approximately one is easy to open and the rest are barbed wire contraptions that require using your body as a lever. 

Too many and approximately one is easy to open and the rest are barbed wire contraptions that require using your body as a lever. 
E.g. two barbed wire loops with a stick holding them together.

Yep, pretty awful. Yesterday another guy was killed by a bear, a mine worker about 2 hours from here. Killed at the jobsite.

Oh man, that is so terrible. Especially because the kid was so young, and especially because he really was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

My family was hiking the trails just four miles away the weekend before. Bear sign everywhere. Really sad this happen.

So cheer this thread back up last weekend I ran the midnight sun run with a goal of one hour. I knew this was going to be hard because I was pushing my 6 and 3 year olds in the chariot. And the strollers had to start behind the walkers so the first mile was weaving and trying not to plow over anyone or take out any Achilles heels! The first mile took 14 minutes!?! WTF? But I ended up finishing 59:57! Pushing my kids felt like a continuous uphill run.

So cheer this thread back up last weekend I ran the midnight sun run with a goal of one hour. I knew this was going to be hard because I was pushing my 6 and 3 year olds in the chariot. And the strollers had to start behind the walkers so the first mile was weaving and trying not to plow over anyone or take out any Achilles heels! The first mile took 14 minutes!?! WTF? But I ended up finishing 59:57! Pushing my kids felt like a continuous uphill run.
Awesome! I finished in under 2 hours....  My wife wanted to go, I didn't really want to run, so I agreed to walk it with her so she could have some fun, too.  We met a couple of co-workers and walked with them, too.  It was fun!  I think next year I might walk it again, but with a cart full of beer like all the "smart" people. 

Well I can't believe I waited this long to do this, but I finally took a serious look at my running gait to see why I always seem to be limited by shin splints.  It turns out I have been running for the last 20+ years with a serious overstride. I ran my usual 3.1 mile course yesterday 4 minutes faster than usual, and that included 3.5 minutes of walking because I was winded from running so fast.  No pain!  All I did was the following:

- made sure my foot was directly below my knee at foot strike

- significantly shortened my stride to make #1 possible

- significantly increased my cadence to make up for #2.

I hope this doesn't cause some other injury, but it all seems to make perfect sense, and like I said I can't believe I never looked this up before, or that none of my running friends ever mentioned it!  If I am able to keep this up, I will be well on the way to the running times I know I am capable of.

better-running.jpg

Back