The Running Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm from Texas. The middle of the day on a tropical island = 6:30AM in Texas.  Hot. Humid.

I ran on the treadmill at the hotel in Bangor on wed.   Did 5k in 26:27.   I still hurt everywhere.   

I did a 5k with friends around Lake Merritt in Oakland yesterday. Slower pace than I would have done on my own, but it was a refreshing change to run with others and get to chat along the way! Hoping to get a long run (read, 10 miles) in this coming weekend, as I do have a half marathon coming the first weekend of February...

Did a couple half marathons a few years ago.  Never got a sub-2 hour time because I always seem to cramp up severely around mile 11.  I've followed a couple half-marathon running plans from runnersworld etc.  Started training seriously late 2015 but work and some personal issues side tracked me.  Trying to get back into it so we'll see how it goes.

I just picked up a treadmill to start running at home.  I just hope it doesn't become a clothesline by the end of the year.  

I just picked up a treadmill to start running at home.  I just hope it doesn't become a clothesline by the end of the year.  
Like my elliptical.  Wonder if it still works. 

I recommend having both a treadmill and a stationary bike.  You got that essentially for free, now go find a treadmill.  For guys at our age, who were not born runners, I don't think it is physically possible to run every day.  The bike gives you the opportunity to get in another aerobic workout on the days between running, which burns more calories, increases your cardio endurance, and balances out the muscle toning on your legs.
The couch-2-5k even tells you to take a day off between runs.  I used to go out and walk on the in-between days.  Kept me on a regular schedule and still got a little activity on my off days.

Yeah, but biking primariy works different muscles (gives your running muscles and tendons the break they deserve), and can acually work out your hear and lungs better than running, at least for us slowpokes.

My legs are feeling my half marathon yesterday!

Ran it in a very average time for myself. It probably would have behooved me to do a few long runs before this, which I didn't do. Bad leggo. Oh well! The course was a nice one, so in the future, I will know that it has the possibility to be a fast course for me.

Just got my new treadmill assembled today.  I'm debating if doing a running/interval workout on the treadmill or the T25 workouts are better at burning the calories.  I'm in the middle of a biggest loser competition and am currently sitting in the middle of the pack.  Some of these guys are crazy and have already lost over 15 pounds over the last 3 weeks doing meal replacement shakes and juices.

Just got my new treadmill assembled today.  I'm debating if doing a running/interval workout on the treadmill or doing several loads of laundry and hanging the shirts to dry on it.  the T25 workouts are better at burning the calories.  I'm in the middle of a biggest loser competition and am currently sitting in the middle of the pack.  Some of these guys are crazy and have already lost over 15 pounds over the last 3 weeks doing meal replacement shakes and juices.
fixt.

Sorry I was just speaking from my experience.

Just got my new treadmill assembled today.  I'm debating if doing a running/interval workout on the treadmill or the T25 workouts are better at burning the calories.  I'm in the middle of a biggest loser competition and am currently sitting in the middle of the pack.  Some of these guys are crazy and have already lost over 15 pounds over the last 3 weeks doing meal replacement shakes and juices.
I don't know about those meal replacement shakes... I've never tried them and am honestly not in need of losing any weight, but I don't personally like the idea of replacing a meal of food with a shake. I am not sure if it would be sustainable, either. Then again, because of my lack of interest in them, I have never done much research about them.

As for running/intervals vs T25, I have heard great things about T25! Again, I don't have any numbers here, but I would imagine that I personally could burn more calories doing a HIIT style workout. But of course, I'm never going to get myself to run to my full capability on a treadmill.

Oof, running is so person-dependent! So what on earth is my advice going to do to help you? Very little, I imagine...

they will put those 15 pounds back on after they start eating real food again.

It's a long competition too, 20 weeks.  The prize is also close to $1000 though so there is some motivation for them to keep up with the shakes.  Weigh in is tomorrow so I'll see how it goes.  

I ended up doing T25 last night.  Man, those are some tough workouts.

Forget those shakes.

ca3f777cbf177024bad1f63f16e95ec6.jpg

I'm in the middle of a biggest loser competition and am currently sitting in the middle of the pack.  Some of these guys are crazy and have already lost over 15 pounds over the last 3 weeks doing meal replacement shakes and juices.
If you're only worried about winning the contest then grab some Slimfast, jump on the treadmill, and win the contest.  I'm willing to bet that a few months after it's over most, if not all, of those crazy guys will probably weigh more than they did before the contest started.  All they're doing is shutting down their metabolism.  Once the contest is over and they start eating real food again, the weight will come piling back on.

Do you wear a heart-rate monitor while doing either the T25 exercise or running intervals? This might help as a metric to see which is giving you the "better" work-out. But you should also be careful to ensure you are within your target heart-rate limits based on age/weight. Based on my own experience with P90x, x2, x3, etc., those short burst workouts got my HR higher than running ever did for me (treadmill or outside).

5 minutes ago, knight1fox3 said:
Do you wear a heart-rate monitor while doing either the T25 exercise or running intervals? This might help as a metric to see which is giving you the "better" work-out. But you should also be careful to ensure you are within your target heart-rate limits based on age/weight. Based on my own experience with P90x, x2, x3, etc., those short burst workouts got my HR higher than running ever did for me (treadmill or outside).

That's a good call.  I have one, I just have to look for it.  I do work up quite a sweat with T25 compared to running so I'm assuming that would be the better choice.

1 Half and 2 full marathons in the books for me. 1:43 min on the half and 3hr 41min for the full (ran the second marathon with the wife at her pace). Just when I was about to be ready to run again after this past marathon in November, I slipped down some stairs and tore my left meniscus. I'm getting surgery Thursday and hope to be back out running in March! 

Latest posts

Back