The Running Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I either purchase a treadmill from an ad on Craigslist tonight or I've orchestrated my own murder. Either way, it's time to start running again and I'm not riding my bike to the gym. 

Pick up a cheap smart TV and mount it on the wall in front of the treadmill, so it won't be as miserable an experience.  It's made my running a lot more enjoyable.

I was looking for a treadmill but ended up getting a Precor commercial grade elliptical from a Gov't auction site.  A lot of the municipalities use it to get rid of stuff so this one came from a rec center.  Threw a bid of $60 in just to get my name in the hat so I'd get notified of the status of the auction and ended up winning it.  There were all the usual fees and stuff though so my final cost ended up being $63.  I was actually shocked how nice it was when we went to pick it up.  It's just like the nice ones they have at the Y.  Already have a spot cleared out in the basement over by the TV so we just have to get it down there now.

I was looking for a treadmill but ended up getting a Precor commercial grade elliptical from a Gov't auction site.  A lot of the municipalities use it to get rid of stuff so this one came from a rec center.  Threw a bid of $60 in just to get my name in the hat so I'd get notified of the status of the auction and ended up winning it.  There were all the usual fees and stuff though so my final cost ended up being $63.  I was actually shocked how nice it was when we went to pick it up.  It's just like the nice ones they have at the Y.  Already have a spot cleared out in the basement over by the TV so we just have to get it down there now.
I had an elliptical and I sold it. I despise that motion. 

The only thing that's ever worked to increase speed for me is running intervals - running as fast as you can for some set time or distance, then slower to recover, repeat several times.  About 6 years back I was able to run a 21: something 5k after doing intervals for a month ahead of that, as one of my 4 weekly training runs.  The Indian (or more PC - ladder) run is a fun way to do that, if you have a big group.  Running the Hash House Harriers runs can also make you faster, just from the competition/comradery at the front, as well as the frequent changes in pace due to terrain, false trails, etc.  But the beer consumption might negate that.

For me, running longer and slower just makes me run slower.  
Yes.  Intervals is the only thing that worked for me also.   I would run them on the track.  Do one fast lap and then one slow recovery lap; repeat.  I was able to break a 6 min/mile 5k (18:30) ten years ago.  2.5 min slower than my PR in HS. Those days are gone for good I fear.  

Where is this government auction site?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hopefully you have at least 8ft ceilings in your basement!   I made that mistake before....

I had an elliptical and I sold it. I despise that motion. 
I definitely would have preferred a treadmill to work on getting back into running, but hopefully this will at least help get me start to get back in better shape.  For $63, I figure at the very least, I can use it for a while and then sell it for a hefty profit on CL or one of the local "for sale" groups on FB.

Where is this government auction site?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I guess you're far enough away I wouldn't have to worry about you swooping in and pirating any good deals. :D  I got it from the govdeals.com website.  It's pretty nice, you can do a local search to see all the stuff for sale around you or you can search for something specific, i.e. a treadmill, and it'll show all of them and you can decide if it's worth the drive.

Hopefully you have at least 8ft ceilings in your basement!   I made that mistake before....
It's a finished basement so there are a few places where they boxed around the ductwork and support beams, but there's a spot next to the stairs with a pretty good view of the TV that I'm thinking should work.

Good news! I now own a treadmill and I wasn't murdered!

Bad news- I own a treadmill. 

Hopped on and did an incline walk this morning. I have a stair climb coming up, so I need to get my endurance and strength up, along with my comfort level with tasting blood in my mouth. 

Good news! I now own a treadmill and I wasn't murdered!

Bad news- I own a treadmill. 

Hopped on and did an incline walk this morning. I have a stair climb coming up, so I need to get my endurance and strength up, along with my comfort level with tasting blood in my mouth. 
Enjoy your new clothesline! 

I definitely would have preferred a treadmill to work on getting back into running, but hopefully this will at least help get me start to get back in better shape.  For $63, I figure at the very least, I can use it for a while and then sell it for a hefty profit on CL or one of the local "for sale" groups on FB.
I recommend having both a treadmill and a stationary bike.  You got that essentially for free, now go find a treadmill.  For guys at our age, who were not born runners, I don't think it is physically possible to run every day.  The bike gives you the opportunity to get in another aerobic workout on the days between running, which burns more calories, increases your cardio endurance, and balances out the muscle toning on your legs.

The trade winds have been dead for the past week or so and the VOG from the Kilauea volcano has been thick here, so that has made my running a lot tougher than it should be. Yesterday I had to stop once during my run to catch my breath due to it. I hope the winds shift and we can get rid of this crap soon!

The trade winds have been dead for the past week or so and the VOG from the Kilauea volcano has been thick here, so that has made my running a lot tougher than it should be. Yesterday I had to stop once during my run to catch my breath due to it. I hope the winds shift and we can get rid of this crap soon!
I wish I was running on a tropical island.  Instead, I can't go outside because I'll be choked by cedar pollen.  The sunrises and sunsets  have been beautiful though.

Running on a tropical island is nice, just don't do it in the middle of the day.

Back