The Dandelion!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
we didn't have much of any pine cones this past fall, but the fall before that holy shit the number of pine cones...

the increased production of pine cones is an indicator of stressors on a tree....
I think pc production also increases when a tree is about to die. A few years ago when the mtn. pine beetle came through we had tons of them. Many of this years pc's were a result of uncovering a squirrels stash under logs I had cut and stacked 2 summers ago. I left them after cutting up the logs, but the squirrel only took some and left most.

I'm just glad the apple trees decided to fruit this year...and lots of it one is a green apple and the other is a red. I have no idea what variety they are, but probably a hybrid of both since the branches grow intertwined with each other. We've been in the house almost 4.5 years and they only had fruit that first year we lived here. They were getting cut down if they didn't produce this year.

Roundup. Just be careful not to get it on the grass.

Also, other than Roundup, I quit buying lawn and garden fertilizers/weed control products from the big box stores. There are a couple of smaller nurseries around here that sell much higher quality products and they work much better. They will also do soil samples for you to determine what your yard actually needs.

^not around here. We tried that once...all they used was mondo sized bags of the stuff we had used the year before and charged way more than the $100 from the store.

the increased production of pine cones is an indicator of stressors on a tree....
I think pc production also increases when a tree is about to die. A few years ago when the mtn. pine beetle came through we had tons of them. Many of this years pc's were a result of uncovering a squirrels stash under logs I had cut and stacked 2 summers ago. I left them after cutting up the logs, but the squirrel only took some and left most.
yes, anytime a tree is under stress/about to die, it increases it's reproduction efforts...

So in that regard, does this mean my wife is completely healthy? Her reproduction efforts have almost completely shut down...

Can anyone suggest a good weed killer to take care of clover that won't wipe out the rest of the yard? The shit fro the neighbor's yard has finally encroached on mine and is spreading like wildfire.

Roundup. Just be careful not to get it on the grass.

Also, other than Roundup, I quit buying lawn and garden fertilizers/weed control products from the big box stores. There are a couple of smaller nurseries around here that sell much higher quality products and they work much better. They will also do soil samples for you to determine what your yard actually needs.
I'm with snick. The local guys charge out of the wazoo for stuff. I always go big box for something I don't need right away.

Can anyone suggest a good weed killer to take care of clover that won't wipe out the rest of the yard? The shit fro the neighbor's yard has finally encroached on mine and is spreading like wildfire.
Clover is a good indication that your soil is compacted.

You need to rent an aerator.

I think Weed-B-Gone will kill clover.

we had a job site that ended up with some clover in the hydroseeder... clover is not an approved species, they ended up using round up on the entire site and starting over for their permanent stabilization efforts... they were not happy contractors.

one of the scotts weed and feed is clover killer...thats what we have used the last few years and it works great...we actually have a gazillion bare spots in the yard from where all the clover and crabgrass was that we need to reseed the entire yard this summer.

Clover is a good indication that your soil is compacted.

You need to rent an aerator.

I think Weed-B-Gone will kill clover.
Not going to aerate until the fall when I have patches ripped up for resodding (also need to dethatch the entire thing). It only popped up in spots that are on the property line where it spread from the neighbor's yard.

Snick: I will give the Scott's a try.

Last edited by a moderator:
Weed B Gone is a broadleaf killer, so it gets dandelions and clover. I didn't use it last year, and clover took over a good section of my yard. I applied it about 3 weeks ago, when dandelion and clover started coming up. I have no signs of them now. A warning: one year I was not careful enough, and ended up spraying some in the flower gardens, killing all the flowers. D'oh!

I'm going to ask my neighbor why he's been creeping on me with his stolons.

Back