The Dandelion!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdcengineer

Sharp as a piece of beach glass
Reaction score
I need to exterminate some of these yellow buggers. I want to avoid poison since that might not be so good fort kids and dogs (both of which I'm fond of).

I hear salt, vinegar and a few other methods might be effective. Anyone want to share their methods for eradication?

I pull them when I see them, but I typically use a weed & feed fertilizer early in the spring which seems to take care of most of them.

What Dex said.

Be advised that salt will leave a dead spot. Nothing will grow there.

Vinegar works wonders, but it needs to be a calm day and you have to saturate the little buggers without overspraying the rest of the grass as it will kill that too.

It takes a day or two to start wilting but it works. Tried it out about a month ago in a couple places to see how it did. Haven't gotten around to the full application yet....too windy or rainy of late

we weed and feed the yard for the danelions and the vinegar is for the gravel drive and sidewide cracks for us.

Weed B Gone.
This. I use this Ortho stuff quite a bit. I believe the label on the back indicates safe for people and pets. I mean you don't want to drink it, but it won't hurt anything by doing a few spot treatments here and there. Usually after 2 or 3 days I can already see the weed shriveling up (insert joke here). I use it on other weeds (clover) as well. Work great IMO.

I pull them when I see them, but I typically use a weed & feed fertilizer early in the spring which seems to take care of most of them.
This too. I do a Fall/Winterizer treatment in addition to the Spring treatment.

Even with the weed & feed, you typically only have to protect the area for about a day or so. Some blends are safer than others, so you just have to pay attention to which one you get.

Trying vinegar. We did a test area yesterday. I may try the Scott's weed and feed. I hear fall is a great time to do it. I used to have a handle on pulling weeds. And slowly declined with the effort since 2009.

Funny the date seems to coincide with the birth of mini CDC - hmmm?

^ i can't wait until minisnick is old enough to do the weeding and picking up all the damn pine cones...

Back