The 2013 Garden Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^I'm going with a mix of potting soil, compost, and vermiculite on the raised bed and mixing in potting soil and manure for the tomatoes. Putting down more potting soil for the 'fence garden.'

A local nursery here sells "gardener's soil" which is a mix of their top soil and compost. I use that in the beds and add manure as needed. I also topped them this fall with leaves that I chopped up with my lawn mower.

Wife went out and found some chicken manure. Will be mixing that with the existing garden bed this weekend. Probably let it sit for a week and plant next weekend.

Also need to go get a water auto timer. I have a soaker hose in the bed itself to water the roots directly. I'd like a reliable means of watering the plants instead of my forgetful mind.

If anyone here wants dog manure for their garden, the new pup is turning it out by the bushel...

Wife went out and found some chicken manure. Will be mixing that with the existing garden bed this weekend. Probably let it sit for a week and plant next weekend.

Also need to go get a water auto timer. I have a soaker hose in the bed itself to water the roots directly. I'd like a reliable means of watering the plants instead of my forgetful mind.
We use dripper lines...they work really well. You can put the ends of the lines right at the base of the plants.

I haven't done any research yet, but does anyone know where to buy heirloom seeds? The non-gmo's ones. My wifes grandma has some in Montana. She can trace her corn back over 150 yrs.

Google it and you'll get a ton of hits. I have a Baker Creek catalog, but ended up using Burpees because they had some flowers I wanted too. Most of theose heirloom seed companies are restricted to vegigies only.

I'm thinking about getting some peach trees, maybe some pears, too.

That reminds me, I need to read up a little on controlling brown rot because my peach trees were hit really hard with it last year. We have a plum tree that usually gives us 20-40 plums and have a cherry and fig tree we just planted last year. The fig tree is from a cutting I took from my parents old fig tree that used to produce like crazy, so I'm hopeful it will grow well.

Got the soil analysis back from the lab and my phosphate and potash levels are very high. I certainly hope the seeds already in the ground don't become zombies.

I feel like an idiot for asking, but do fruit trees need a double for pollenation? Our pear tree is 6 yrs old this year (I think) and hasn't made pears durring the time we've been there since '10. We just planted two plum stems last year from the same grandma who's had them in the wife's family for five generations.

^I'm not an expert, but it really depends on the tree. We had a pear previously that was self-pollinating and our cherry tree is supposed to be as well. The plum tree we have actually has two types of plums growing on it, so they can cross pollinate. For trees that need cross-pollination you typically need another one within 1/4 mile of yours to bear fruit.

You do need two peach trees for pollination. They recommend 20' spacing.

Anyone look at kiwis? Looks like you have to wait four years before they produce, but then they go crazy. Appear to be a good choice for hiding a cyclone fence.

So got the garden in yesterday. It's a raised bed, about 4.5' x 20'...here's the list.

Tomatoes--Black Beauty Cherry Tomato, Early Girl, Beefmaster

Cucumbers--Picklebush, Burpless

Squash--straight-neck yellow and Black Diamond zucchini

Peppers--red bell, banana, and Mucho Nacho jalapeno

The Mucho Nacho looks good for making stuffed jalapenos...a summer-time staple at the Tex house.

Not looking good for much rain this year though...looks like the water bill just went up.

And for DAY 4 of Envirotex's garden saga...

Mucho Nacho decimated.

Black Cherry tomato chopped down.

The squirrels and I are at war.

^ one of the main reasons I gave up on the whole garden things...squirrels, rabbits, deer, chimpmunks...

The darn chipmunks even made themselves a burrow under the rose bushes...

I'm actually sort of glad the new neighbor bought himself a dog...not sure what it is though. It looks like a shiney short haired lab but the tail is docked and I didn't think labs were a breed for that.

My Mom is apparently a "master gardener" (she actually has a cert for it) and gets dried blood or fresh blood from the butcher shop to fight the animals.

Once she puts that stuff down, no ones messes with the area.

Try it out!

And for DAY 4 of Envirotex's garden saga...

Mucho Nacho decimated.

Black Cherry tomato chopped down.

The squirrels and I are at war.

^ one of the main reasons I gave up on the whole garden things...squirrels, rabbits, deer, chimpmunks...

The darn chipmunks even made themselves a burrow under the rose bushes...

I'm actually sort of glad the new neighbor bought himself a dog...not sure what it is though. It looks like a shiney short haired lab but the tail is docked and I didn't think labs were a breed for that.
BB gun? Air rifle?

Latest posts

Back