Test is only next week. How does everyone feel about it?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks all for your words of wisdom! I currently have the ChE Ref Manual, Perrys, Cranes, Levenspiel, ChE Quick Reference, NCEES practice problems, 6 minute solutions, Engineering unit conversion, A spiral notebook with handwritten notes and a 3 ring binder with misc materials like engineering econ formulas. Hopefully these all fit into my hand-luggage sized suitcase with my sweater, socks, calculator and snacks. I can't believe I got up to 10 whole books. I plan to work all the first-glance 'easy-problems' off the spiral notebook because I know where everything is and save the digging through materials for more challenging problems. We'll see how it goes. One thing that has helped my stamina in the past few days is espresso. Goodluck everyone!

Remember, this is a bachelor's level examination designed to determine "minimal competence." This is the C- student, not the A student. Go to NCEES web site and review the elements of examination for your specific discipline NOW. This is what will be on the test. Make sure that you know which book or books have that material contained therein!

I think that if you take a wheel barrow, red wagon or hand truck full of banker boxes into the exam with you-- you are sunk before you start. Why? Well, you have too much material to try and recall where some specific data factoid is located-- you will spend more time burning through references than solving the examination.

The test is designed to work each problem in 6 minutes. Some questions can be answered by inspection, assuming you know the material. Others require several calculation steps to ascertain the final answer-- however, the goal is to allow 6 minutes for each question.

Reading and reviewing the NCEES web site and elements of examination for your specific discipline will cut down on the "wild goose chase" reviews that you may attempt to do. If the subject/question is not listed on the NCEES web site, then the problem is not on the test.

Remember, you got this far-- you can do this. Don't over complicate this-- Dex has good suggestions for preparation. Good Luck.
Great advice. Thanks!

Since everyone focuses so much on the content of the exam, let me provide a few pointers that will lead to a little less stress the day of:

• Bring cash with you (at least $20). You never know when something comes up that requires it. When I took the exam, the place it was held at was also hosting some stupid home & garden expo and was charging for parking (cash only).

Bring snacks. Quiet, non-messy things (like chewy granola bars - I recommend Clif bars). Take them out of the wrapper and pack them in Ziploc bags. Proctors will get mad if you're crumbling up wrappers or chewing potato chips.
Bring a drink. Water and/or juice is best. Make sure it is in a resealable container. An athletic waterbottle is better.
Pack your materials two days prior (not counting lunch, snacks, and drinks). Having to scramble to find everything the morning of the exam, or the evening before will no-doubt mean you leave something behind and then you're stressing over what is or could be missing.
Pack everything so that you can get it to your exam seat. It won't do you any good if you can't get it from the car to the exam room. Be sure to be able to carry it in one trip, multiple trips probably won't be allowed. Milk crates and banker's boxes work well, also look into portable luggage carts if you can't carry the box.
Bring a back-up calculator. Many simply purchased a duplicate and left it in the packaging. That way if you don't use it, you can return it.
Don't do anything exam related the day before. Take the day off as a "mental health" day. Go do something fun. I went out and test drove sports cars.
Drive to the exam site a couple days before hand during the same time period so you know what traffic patterns are like and so you can compensate accordingly. This is how I found out about the expo and pay-for-parking.
The weekend before, sit down and write something out for 4 straight hours. Get used to the feeling of sitting in one place and handwriting. You will not believe how much your hands will hurt if you don't at least practice handwriting for an extended period of time.
Night before the exam eat a good solid meal that won't cause you future problems (i.e. avoid spicy and fast foods). Pasta is a really good option.
Pack a lunch. Get something that will be filling, but not time-consuming to eat (like a sandwich). Do not expect the use of a microwave or toaster oven. Do not expect to have enough time to leave the testing center to go grab something from a restaurant or fast food place (see previous bullet)
Day of the exam, go through your normal morning routine. Eat your normal breakfast. Doing this will help with the nerves, trust me.
Show up early. There is always a rush of exam takers just before the cutoff time which leads to more stress for everyone. Get there before that wave.
Turn off the ringer to your cellphone before you leave the house. Not just the ringer, but also the vibrate mode. On the odd chance you forget your phone in your pocket, you don't want it ringing during the exam.
Going to the bathroom will NOT chew up too much time. If you have to go, then go. Your mind will work better if it's not focused on your bladder or bowels.

Hope this helps.

Great suggestions! I just have a few to add:

If your testing facility is an hour or so away, consider getting a hotel the night before in that town/city. I didn't want to have to wake up extra early and deal with the possibility of morning rush hour traffic. It's more money you have to spend, but it was nice to arrive there after a quick 5 minute drive and be refreshed and stress free. The night you get to the hotel, you can drive to the test facility and scope out the parking situation.

Leave your cell phone in your car! Don't even risk whether or not you remembered to put it on silent.

Bring some advil. It'll be a big help if you feel a headache creeping in by the afternoon session.

First time test taker here. I took the school of PE prep class and am taking the ME - HVAC depth exam. I'm hoping to get lucky

First time test taker here. I took the school of PE prep class and am taking the ME - HVAC depth exam. I'm hoping to get lucky

Na, you don't need luck. If you prepared well, you'll pass with skill.

Now if you're looking to get "lucky" at the exam site, you might be in for a surprise. It's against NCEES policy.

one other bit of non-diaper advice. don't second guess yourself. If you choose an answer, very often it is the answer that you should go with. Otherwise you are overthinking the problem and you may right out of the correct answer.

Na, you don't need luck. If you prepared well, you'll pass with skill.

Now if you're looking to get "lucky" at the exam site, you might be in for a surprise. It's against NCEES policy.

Dang, I thought if I brought her in a clear plastic bag I would be fine...

You don't want to get "lucky" at the test. Most of the proctors collect social security checks already...

I'm terrified.

Had the dream of showing up, sitting down feeling confident, and realizing I forgot ALL or ANY reference materials.

To top it off, I've just been diagnosed with an orthopedic injury that equates to a pain in the ass bone. Doc recommends PT and not sitting for long periods of time. Says the condition usually develops in people who either (1) spend too long sitting on a hard surface over many days (oh hell yeah of course I've been doing that) or (2) do a lot of running. I seem to meet both criteria. He recommended that I sit on a donut for a while and wear several pairs of pants to the exam. I'm bringing a fluffy beach towel to sit on and hoping the proctor won't get weird about it. I'm not joking even if this sounds like a cruel joke.

Damn. That's a pain in the ass.

During the EIT in RI last Oct. there were a few people with blankets to sit on as cushions. I think the proctors just had them open the blankets up to show they weren't hiding anything and they were fine after that.

I'm terrified.

Had the dream of showing up, sitting down feeling confident, and realizing I forgot ALL or ANY reference materials.

To top it off, I've just been diagnosed with an orthopedic injury that equates to a pain in the ass bone. Doc recommends PT and not sitting for long periods of time. Says the condition usually develops in people who either (1) spend too long sitting on a hard surface over many days (oh hell yeah of course I've been doing that) or (2) do a lot of running. I seem to meet both criteria. He recommended that I sit on a donut for a while and wear several pairs of pants to the exam. I'm bringing a fluffy beach towel to sit on and hoping the proctor won't get weird about it. I'm not joking even if this sounds like a cruel joke.
Bring a DR's note. Seriously. The proctors cannot prohibit something required by the DR...

For anyone else who is taking the exam tmrw, make out time to go to your center today to look at it. My exam authorization had misleading directions and the entire center is like a refrigerator. I'm glad I went. Also helped me to get prepared for the atmosphere and signs everywhere. It would've been so intimidating to see all of that for the first time tomorrow.

I am bringing my books in rolling luggage. Does anyone know if this is ok? I cannot carry bankers boxes due to my broken butt and they wouldn't fit in one of those rolling milk crate type things.

I am bringing my books in rolling luggage. Does anyone know if this is ok? I cannot carry bankers boxes due to my broken butt and they wouldn't fit in one of those rolling milk crate type things.
dude, who broke your butt?
My butt has a crack in it too. I think that's normal.

Yep. Just make sure the other pockets are empty or are only carrying things allowed into the exam (like snacks, calculator, etc).

Back