Test is only next week. How does everyone feel about it?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stamina: I can't help with that. I took the exam 3 times and 3 times I burned out at the end. Good luck PE2B

Next Friday will be my first try, and till last Friday I found the exam is on a Friday, instead of a Saturday. I just realized that I can organize my stuff by AM and PM..... I wasted my first two weeks just reading copied materials from someone who took the test courses before, till I found it is not an effient way when I found this site this Monday.... I am going to take it cool and try my luck....
It's all good. Good luck.
Thanks! Everyday, I learn something here. Wish I would have found this place earlier
I was the same way. I first sat for the exam in oct '12. I found this site about a month before the exam. Failed. Retook it awon'tn in April '13, failed again even with the knowledge of this site and the advantages it offered. Then I better organized myself. Changed my studying and passed in oct '13. Preparation is key.
Every discipline would be different. Hope I would pass this time though I know my chance is slim. I missed the first 3 registration for different reasons, so this would be my last chance for the current 2-year cycle. I was expecting to take the exam somthing like 4/30, then all in a sudden, found I only had barely one month. Still, for the last 3 days, I learnt a lot here, considering before this Tuesday, I had no idea what else I need to bring to the exam except for the NEC handbook and NFPA 70E, but now I borrowed 3 recommended books from the local library, and I already started benefiting from them. Life is full of miracles. Before this Monday, I was struggling myself alone having no idea how to prepare, but now I found I am with so many who will be sitting 8 hours next Friday:) This makes me feel so good.

Since everyone focuses so much on the content of the exam, let me provide a few pointers that will lead to a little less stress the day of:

• Bring cash with you (at least $20). You never know when something comes up that requires it. When I took the exam, the place it was held at was also hosting some stupid home & garden expo and was charging for parking (cash only).
  • Bring snacks. Quiet, non-messy things (like chewy granola bars - I recommend Clif bars). Take them out of the wrapper and pack them in Ziploc bags. Proctors will get mad if you're crumbling up wrappers or chewing potato chips.
  • Bring a drink. Water and/or juice is best. Make sure it is in a resealable container. An athletic waterbottle is better.
  • Pack your materials two days prior (not counting lunch, snacks, and drinks). Having to scramble to find everything the morning of the exam, or the evening before will no-doubt mean you leave something behind and then you're stressing over what is or could be missing.
  • Pack everything so that you can get it to your exam seat. It won't do you any good if you can't get it from the car to the exam room. Be sure to be able to carry it in one trip, multiple trips probably won't be allowed. Milk crates and banker's boxes work well, also look into portable luggage carts if you can't carry the box.
  • Bring a back-up calculator. Many simply purchased a duplicate and left it in the packaging. That way if you don't use it, you can return it.
  • Don't do anything exam related the day before. Take the day off as a "mental health" day. Go do something fun. I went out and test drove sports cars.
  • Drive to the exam site a couple days before hand during the same time period so you know what traffic patterns are like and so you can compensate accordingly. This is how I found out about the expo and pay-for-parking.
  • The weekend before, sit down and write something out for 4 straight hours. Get used to the feeling of sitting in one place and handwriting. You will not believe how much your hands will hurt if you don't at least practice handwriting for an extended period of time.
  • Night before the exam eat a good solid meal that won't cause you future problems (i.e. avoid spicy and fast foods). Pasta is a really good option.
  • Pack a lunch. Get something that will be filling, but not time-consuming to eat (like a sandwich). Do not expect the use of a microwave or toaster oven. Do not expect to have enough time to leave the testing center to go grab something from a restaurant or fast food place (see previous bullet)
  • Day of the exam, go through your normal morning routine. Eat your normal breakfast. Doing this will help with the nerves, trust me.
  • Show up early. There is always a rush of exam takers just before the cutoff time which leads to more stress for everyone. Get there before that wave.
  • Turn off the ringer to your cellphone before you leave the house. Not just the ringer, but also the vibrate mode. On the odd chance you forget your phone in your pocket, you don't want it ringing during the exam.
  • Going to the bathroom will NOT chew up too much time. If you have to go, then go. Your mind will work better if it's not focused on your bladder or bowels.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since everyone focuses so much on the content of the exam, let me provide a few pointers that will lead to a little less stress the day of:

• Bring cash with you (at least $20). You never know when something comes up that requires it. When I took the exam, the place it was held at was also hosting some stupid home & garden expo and was charging for parking (cash only).
  • Bring snacks. Quiet, non-messy things (like chewy granola bars - I recommend Clif bars). Take them out of the wrapper and pack them in Ziploc bags. Proctors will get mad if you're crumbling up wrappers or chewing potato chips.
  • Bring a drink. Water and/or juice is best. Make sure it is in a resealable container. An athletic waterbottle is better.
  • Pack your materials two days prior (not counting lunch, snacks, and drinks). Having to scramble to find everything the morning of the exam, or the evening before will no-doubt mean you leave something behind and then you're stressing over what is or could be missing.
  • Pack everything so that you can get it to your exam seat. It won't do you any good if you can't get it from the car to the exam room. Be sure to be able to carry it in one trip, multiple trips probably won't be allowed. Milk crates and banker's boxes work well, also look into portable luggage carts if you can't carry the box.
  • Bring a back-up calculator. Many simply purchased a duplicate and left it in the packaging. That way if you don't use it, you can return it.
  • Don't do anything exam related the day before. Take the day off as a "mental health" day. Go do something fun. I went out and test drove sports cars.
  • Drive to the exam site a couple days before hand during the same time period so you know what traffic patterns are like and so you can compensate accordingly. This is how I found out about the expo and pay-for-parking.
  • The weekend before, sit down and write something out for 4 straight hours. Get used to the feeling of sitting in one place and handwriting. You will not believe how much your hands will hurt if you don't at least practice handwriting for an extended period of time.
  • Night before the exam eat a good solid meal that won't cause you future problems (i.e. avoid spicy and fast foods). Pasta is a really good option.
  • Pack a lunch. Get something that will be filling, but not time-consuming to eat (like a sandwich). Do not expect the use of a microwave or toaster oven. Do not expect to have enough time to leave the testing center to go grab something from a restaurant or fast food place (see previous bullet)
  • Day of the exam, go through your normal morning routine. Eat your normal breakfast. Doing this will help with the nerves, trust me.
  • Show up early. There is always a rush of exam takers just before the cutoff time which leads to more stress for everyone. Get there before that wave.
  • Turn off the ringer to your cellphone before you leave the house. Not just the ringer, but also the vibrate mode. On the odd chance you forget your phone in your pocket, you don't want it ringing during the exam.
  • Going to the bathroom will NOT chew up too much time. If you have to go, then go. Your mind will work better if it's not focused on your bladder or bowels.

Hope this helps.
Dex is spot on with everything. One thing that I did that he didn't mention was chewing gum. I tend to think better when chewing gum.

Again good luck everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Going to the bathroom will NOT chew up too much time.  If you have to go, then go.  Your mind will work better if it's not focused on your bladder or bowels.

Hope this helps.
OH I forgot one. Diapers. Adult diapers. If you are concerned about time loss from a potential wet sloppy log then by all means wear diapers. They act as seat cushions too.

Good luck everyone taking the PE and EIT tests next week.

Oh, and I read that alcohol is not allowed in the exam room, so be sure to get your fill before you enter the exam room. NJmike's diaper suggestion will then come in handy. And if you have to vomit, don't vomit on your own test. Vomit on the guy sitting across from you. He wasn't going to pass anyway.

NJmike's diaper suggestion will then come in handy. And if you have to vomit, don't vomit on your own test. Vomit on the guy sitting across from you. He wasn't going to pass anyway.   
Seriously. Who wouldn't enjoy that warm, soggy cushion for the duration of the exam? Good stuff.

Don't forget wrist watch. No cell phones allowed.

It is good to know how much time has passed so you can adjust speed accordingly

Does anyone if there's a specific rule regarding the use of zipper binders? I know the rule only talks about binders in general but not zipper binders.

I've never heard of anything. I would assume that if people bring their reference materials in a zip up suitcase, that a zip up binder would be acceptable too.

Feeling a lot better than I thought I would. This weekend I took the full NCEES practice exam for water resources and managed an 80% overall. I'm banking on the practice exam to be very similar to what we see on Friday. Good luck to my fellow test takers and hopefully we won't be here again in October!

I obviously still have some lingering effects from the test last fall. I passed, and reading some of the posts, I still get a small bit of the anxiety I felt during that test in Oct.

Good luck to all those taking it this week. Trust your preparation and give it hell.

I'm just glad I don't have to go through it anymore. The week of the exam was horrible, even though it got better each time I took it. The post exam wait was the worst though. Stick around this site to help ease that anxiety.

I am working on NCEES example test book. Is that normal if I keep pushing the wrong button? got different result every time on my calculator...

Remember, this is a bachelor's level examination designed to determine "minimal competence." This is the C- student, not the A student. Go to NCEES web site and review the elements of examination for your specific discipline NOW. This is what will be on the test. Make sure that you know which book or books have that material contained therein!

I think that if you take a wheel barrow, red wagon or hand truck full of banker boxes into the exam with you-- you are sunk before you start. Why? Well, you have too much material to try and recall where some specific data factoid is located-- you will spend more time burning through references than solving the examination.

The test is designed to work each problem in 6 minutes. Some questions can be answered by inspection, assuming you know the material. Others require several calculation steps to ascertain the final answer-- however, the goal is to allow 6 minutes for each question.

Reading and reviewing the NCEES web site and elements of examination for your specific discipline will cut down on the "wild goose chase" reviews that you may attempt to do. If the subject/question is not listed on the NCEES web site, then the problem is not on the test.

Remember, you got this far-- you can do this. Don't over complicate this-- Dex has good suggestions for preparation. Good Luck.

Remember, this is a bachelor's level examination designed to determine "minimal competence." This is the C- student, not the A student. Go to NCEES web site and review the elements of examination for your specific discipline NOW. This is what will be on the test. Make sure that you know which book or books have that material contained therein!

I think that if you take a wheel barrow, red wagon or hand truck full of banker boxes into the exam with you-- you are sunk before you start. Why? Well, you have too much material to try and recall where some specific data factoid is located-- you will spend more time burning through references than solving the examination.

The test is designed to work each problem in 6 minutes. Some questions can be answered by inspection, assuming you know the material. Others require several calculation steps to ascertain the final answer-- however, the goal is to allow 6 minutes for each question.

Reading and reviewing the NCEES web site and elements of examination for your specific discipline will cut down on the "wild goose chase" reviews that you may attempt to do. If the subject/question is not listed on the NCEES web site, then the problem is not on the test.

Remember, you got this far-- you can do this. Don't over complicate this-- Dex has good suggestions for preparation. Good Luck.

Always appreciate your insight solomonb. Good suggestions.

I am taking the test on Friday and hoping all my studying pays off...

Back