Test is only next week. How does everyone feel about it?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Next Friday will be my first try, and till last Friday I found the exam is on a Friday, instead of a Saturday. I just realized that I can organize my stuff by AM and PM..... I wasted my first two weeks just reading copied materials from someone who took the test courses before, till I found it is not an effient way when I found this site this Monday.... I am going to take it cool and try my luck....

Next Friday will be my first try, and till last Friday I found the exam is on a Friday, instead of a Saturday. I just realized that I can organize my stuff by AM and PM..... I wasted my first two weeks just reading copied materials from someone who took the test courses before, till I found it is not an effient way when I found this site this Monday.... I am going to take it cool and try my luck....
It's all good. Good luck.

Thanks! Everyday, I learn something here. Wish I would have found this place earlier

Thanks! Everyday, I learn something here. Wish I would have found this place earlier
I was the same way. I first sat for the exam in oct '12. I found this site about a month before the exam. Failed. Retook it again in April '13, failed again even with the knowledge of this site and the advantages it offered. Then I better organized myself. Changed my studying and passed in oct '13. Preparation is key.

Mike, Derek, how much did you use your own notes vs. your reference books during the PE?
I brought in practice problems but didn't use them. The problem was that I didn't really know how to navigate the practice problems....very poor organization. I made a 1 page cheat sheet with a few basic formulas in which I used but I would say the primary references I used were the MERM and a units conversion book. This time around I am bring only a few key practice problems, of what I feel are my weak points, the MERM and the units conversion book. I think you can pretty much bring any kind of note as long as it is in a binder and you do not take it out of the binder.

In fact, people will bring in boxes...like 5 full boxes of references on a hand truck....i'm not sure how they manage, but I guess whatever gets you that passing score works!

In fact, people will bring in boxes...like 5 full boxes of references on a hand truck....i'm not sure how they manage, but I guess whatever gets you that passing score works!
For Electrical Power I took School of PE class I took to the test:

Class notes with markings; practice problems from class; sample exam; Camara review book. National Electrical Code, National Electrical Safety code handbook,

I used everything I brought. It was helpful to have reviewed a little everyday in the last 2-3 weeks before the test...I knew where everything was in the notes and that was a huge help. I also bought tabs big enough to write on and tabbed my notes and reference book.

what I brought fit into a carry-on suitcase (max size allowable by airlines.)

Note that you need to check with your state...not all allow problems into the test.

I had a dream I went to take the test and forgot all of my references. That pretty much sums it up.

For Electrical Power I took School of PE class I took to the test:

Class notes with markings; practice problems from class; sample exam; Camara review book. National Electrical Code, National Electrical Safety code handbook,

I used everything I brought. It was helpful to have reviewed a little everyday in the last 2-3 weeks before the test...I knew where everything was in the notes and that was a huge help. I also bought tabs big enough to write on and tabbed my notes and reference book.

what I brought fit into a carry-on suitcase (max size allowable by airlines.)

Note that you need to check with your state...not all allow problems into the test.
I took the GA Tech PE power review course and really liked the format and content. The huge binder that was provided with the course basically became my "electrical bible". In addition to take notes, I added my own material to it and tabbed accordingly so it was easy to find. I had a few other primary references like Wildi, NEC, Grainger, etc. I had some of what I considered, secondary references "just in case". But everything fit into my medium sized airport type luggage bag. I was able to set it upright and stack the books I didn't feel I would need readily with the other main references on the table with me. I was very familiar with all my references and had those tabbed accordingly as well.

And being a member of this board always reminds me when test day is. And the morning of test day when I get up, I take a moment of silence for all those test-takers, thankful that I'm not in that room with them. LOL

I miss studying.
2ce23_ORIG-83671d1217872852_animated_gif_thread_slap_1_.gif

Someone needs to be slapped back into reality

how am I feeling? first I am GRATEFUL to have found this board about 3 months ago. thank you everyone for the tips, information and experiences. secondly I keep having all these weird dreams like driving to the wrong place, not having a seat at the exam - I think i'm in mad scientist mode. third, I have *somehow* convinced myself that I will pass this exam next friday so :) finally, I am concerned about stamina. 80 of those questions is a whole LOT! if anyone has any suggestions on what to eat or how to not fall asleep I will appreciate.

Goodluck to everyone!!! :)

P.S. i'm a newbie!

Back