Student loans

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
with room and board, tuition fees etc it was about 12k-15k a year for instate big ten school. it is now way more than that.

I was able to pay for my first semester with my life savings (literally) and scholarships. Second semester was combo of fed loans and help from my folks.

The remaining 3 yrs were combo of fed and private loans. I did start working second semester of freshman year to have spending money.

Most freshmen are required to live on campus, so those costs are automatically added to your student loan bill and can easily reach $25k/year.

My sophmore year I lived in the fraturnity house and paid those expenses out of pocket with a part-time job (cashier at a sporting goods store, and took a "job" working in the kitchen of the frat house).

Junior, senior, and super-senior years I lived with my girlfriend/fiance/wife, where we paid for our living expenses with full-time jobs (I was a detailer at a car dealership, and she was either a waitress or a saleswoman at a ski shop).

We were married in 2001 (summer between junior & senior years), bought our first house in 2002 (a double-wide trailer), and graduated in 2003.

Ya tuition when I was in attendance was around $3500 to $4k for a school in the UW system. Since then, based on what I've heard from younger students, tuition is ever increasing (something crazy like 18% per year) as is the cost of living. Some of the engineering schools in the bigger cities of WI can be close to $25k per year. :blink:

An in state school is $25k a year?

I don't recommend doing college the way my wife and I did. Married, working 2 jobs each and eating a lot of roman noodles and deer meat. I recall tuition checks being less than a grand a quarter and maybe a few hundred for books...(1992 when I got out of army). Technically including the national guard I had 3 jobs...

An in state school is $25k a year?

I don't recommend doing college the way my wife and I did. Married, working 2 jobs each and eating a lot of roman noodles and deer meat. I recall tuition checks being less than a grand a quarter and maybe a few hundred for books...(1992 when I got out of army). Technically including the national guard I had 3 jobs...
No G.I. Bill?

Man how did everyone get away so cheap. I came out with $76k. Most my masters was paid for through TA assistantship. My school is now up to 48k/year or something like that. Back when I went in 98-04, it was 30k. half paid from a scholarship but still... It'll be paid for in 2024 haha. at least its like 1.7% interest or something like that. its knocked down good now. Id had it paid off but I have taste of fuel driven toys which by far take precident.

Big goose egg. Lived at home, went to a state school, had a scholarship that covered books for the semester.

Most importantly, finished in four years.

I had GI Bill also but since it would only reimburse for tuition, books, fees and since I was living off campus it didn't pay anything for housing (or so I recall) but I only did the 2.5 year active duty enlistment contract they offered in 1990 which resulted in a lower payout...

If these represent today's costs at public colleges I better go ahead and get my kids ready to work and go to school part time I won't be able to afford much of that type of tuition ..

I don't want my kids to do college like I did, and I don't want them to go through without some of their own skin in the game, and I also Dom want them to start out with all that set in their life...

I ended school with about $25k and now have around $14k. It's very low interest so I have no plans to pay much more than the minimum until I've got it payed off. The wife had her school payed for by her parents and we're planning to help our kids out as much as we can. I at least want to cover their tuition and I'll expect them to work part time for their spending money just like I did. The crazy thing about tuition right now is that my kids could go to my alma mater out of state cheaper than they could go to either of the main in state schools. The way I have it figured, by the time my kids are going to college, 4 years is going to cost around $100k or more. I don't want them on the hook for that amount of money right out of school.

Since engineering salaries pay the same for the most part I dont know why people would bother with that? (private schools) they are just all about raping you for money...

and dont forget the world is run by the C students!

Since engineering salaries pay the same for the most part I dont know why people would bother with that? (private schools) they are just all about raping you for money...

and dont forget the world is run by the C students!
Agreed. I don't see why one would need to go private for their undergrad (speaking in terms of engineering). Unless location is an issue. Post-undergrad is a different story though.

In hindsight, I should have went to a different school since mine has a 5-year engineering degree program. Granted, I'm a more "well-rounded" individual, or so the college likes to claim :)

If you have kids though, make sure they don't have any money to their name once it comes time for applying to colleges since they will consider that college money.

Several colleges offer a 5-year program where you walk away with a Masters degree...

For U of New Hampshire, in-state tuition + room and board is $26000. Out if state is $39000. I think that's typical of most New England state universities, and probably true of most northern states.

Yea took me 5-1/2 years with masters. but still, at 30k+ a year and working summers, i couldnt swing it for sure. But I cant say I didnt have fun those years!

They had a 5 years masters of engineering program, but I decided to do the MS. At the time back then there wasnt much respect for an M.E. was just a few extra classes

My undergrad was about $20k per year for tuition and room and board for out of state and about $10k for in-state. This was late 90's though, so I'm sure its gone up by at least 50% since then. The kicker though is that room and board was not optional. If you attend VMI, you live at VMI, you eat in the VMI mess hall, you wear VMI clothes, and you get VMI haircuts, all of which were factored into the cost of admission each year.

I did not come from a family of means, and my parents weren't able to take out much in the way of parent loans, so a large portion of my college education was funded through student loans. However, I did also get grants and a couple of scholarships, plus I worked summers and on campus in work-study programs. I also joined the Virginia National Guard and then was able to get in-state tuition plus military tuition assistance. In the end, I owed about $20k - $25k in student loans. And to this day, I still think it was worth it. I simply would not be making the salary I am now without it. I financed approximately 25% of my college education and have made that back and then some. I also took out some loans during grad school, but not an enormous amount because my employer paid for a large chunk of my master's degree. I also am perfectly fine with that, because that has also paid off and continues to pay off.

My wife on the other hand took out large loans for her grad school and has since not worked, but that isn't really her fault, it was a decision we both made because of our children. Because of the income that I make, which I absolutely believe was the result of my education which was funded by a combination of hard work, military service, and loans, she doesn't need to work. We're still paying for her master's degree, and one day in the future she will go back to work, but for now, I don't regret either of us taking out loans to fund our educations. Her payoff is still coming, mine has come, but both have been worth it.

Back