Student loans

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
$25k for me, about $25k for LadyFox. We had that paid off before purchasing our first home. :thumbs:

Zero. I was lucky enough to attend University in England at a time when I was actually given money by the government to obtain a degree.

25k, paid it all off in 3 years except 4k which is 2.1% interest, so I decided to let that one just sit for a few more years.

$10K. Still chipping away at it. Dave says they stick around so long you start to think of them as children. I know exactly what he means.

I would jumping for joy with the amounts you folks have carried. I signed on the dotted line for about $50K - am on the 10 year track to eliminate it. Family couldn't help out financially and made too much money for any sort of government assistance. The payments are just a part of life now and don't hurt as much as they used to.

I'm in for just under $20k, although Mrs Dex jumped in for close to $60k. Granted, she has 2 degrees and has received more raises/promotions in the last 3 years than I have in the last 10...

about $55K ish maybe a little more. they have been paid off for awhile. paid the private loan off 12/2006 the fed loans were paid off 9/2008 graduated in 2002

BTW, I really have no idea when my loans are supposed to be paid off. We "deferred" payments while Mrs Dex went back to school for her 2nd degree, and have only really been paying on the 15yr loan for the last 5 years. We've paid extra each month, so they should probably be gone about the time both Mini-Dex'es get to college...

I had around 13k. Got it down to less than 3k now. Hoping to pay it off in full within a year.

As sucky as it is still paying on this 8yrs later, I wouldn't have my degree or partnership now without being able to borrow the money. I was advised to do whatever it takes to get through, as quickly as possible. As it turns out, this advice was good for me.

I don't see how people get over $20k? Isn't it just a few thousand a semester?

Unless people use it as living expenses? Or wet to Harvard?

Any private school these days, when all is said and done with living expenses and everything works out to about $40k a year. Harvard is not the most expensive but the ivies are pretty much $50-60k/year.

If you're not close to home and have to live on or near campus, then yes living expenses are included and typically represent about 1/2 the cost. Even state schools with in-state tuition rates here are ~$10-12k/year. add living and you're at $20-25k/year.

For middle class americans there is not much "unsecured" governement funding a/k/a either no-cost or low-interest loans or scholarships or grants available.

Back