So how do you feel?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Remember you signed an agreement saying you weren't going to talk about the exam. I'm sure ncees isn't so naive as to think people won't talk with their buddies, but I don't think I admit it in writing on a forum that they monitor......
Thanks Mike... I'll be more careful with what I say here.

I took Mechanical - MD depth for the first time. Overall I walked out feeling pretty good, at least well enough that I'm not spending any time studying until I get my results. After going through NCEES practice exam though I know it's not hard to get a false sense of security. They're tricky suckers.

I struggled with one of the early qualitative questions in the AM that I know should have been an "any idiot would know" question, but I've since figured out I blew it. In retrospect I'm upset because it should have been obvious but I blew it. At the end I think there were about 5 left in the AM I straight up guessed on. HVAC got me which didn't surprise me but still frustrated me. I was pleased to see there was a pretty good balance between the 3 depth areas. I ended up bringing an extra roller bag full of references that I hadn't planned on just in case. Turned out I used the majority of them and was glad I'd brought them. Just wish I would have grabbed my manufacturing processes book from work when I was packing.

I felt ok about the PM portion but it was definitely harder. I had a rough start and started getting really worried but about 7 or 8 questions in I got into a groove and most of the rest of the exam went much better. I felt pretty confident with 29-30, made educated guesses on a couple more and had probably 7-8 that were straight guesses. Now just have to endure another 9 agonizing weeks to find out if I can move on with life or have to go through this all over again.

As for those looking for study tips...MERM is critical. I also found the MERM quick reference companion invaluable both for unit conversions and equation look ups. I tabbed the heck out of both books which was helpful for finding stuff in a matter of seconds. Biggest things to understand in my mind are 1) that learning this stuff is just going to take time so start early and make a schedule to make sure you get to everything you want to. I spent probably around 230-250 hours prepping for this go around. And 2) make sure you study with any reference you're going to use. They'll be no use to you unless you're pretty familiar with them or they're easy to find things in. My study recommendations in order of priority would be

1. 500 problems accompanying MERM. That provides a good methodical overview.
  2. 6Ms at least for your depth.
  3. NCEES practice exam and review the solutions. I think I got at least 2 questions on the PM portion because of stuff I learned going through the NCEES practice solutions.
  4. I agree with what was stated above, the Lindberg practice exam is far too difficult to be an effective gauge of your readiness. Nevertheless it is worthwhile for practice problems.

Surfer357:

I've read mixed reviews on the equation companion to the MERM. Did you mostly use that in place of searching for the equations in the MERM or did you still need to use both? Is the equation companion similar to the layout of the FE reference handbook? I'm considering using that rather than creating my own equation book. I haven't tabbed my MERM yet but equations have been easier to locate in the FE reference manual so far. I'll be taking the MD depth in April.

Surfer357:
I've read mixed reviews on the equation companion to the MERM. Did you mostly use that in place of searching for the equations in the MERM or did you still need to use both? Is the equation companion similar to the layout of the FE reference handbook? I'm considering using that rather than creating my own equation book. I haven't tabbed my MERM yet but equations have been easier to locate in the FE reference manual so far. I'll be taking the MD depth in April.
I had the quick reference and did not use it. Know MERM inside out and just use it instead of the companion. Also, I prefer to have the index printed separetely and in a 3-ring binder. It prevents flipping back and forth constantly. In retrospect, having the entire appendix copied in a seperate binder would not have been awful either. Do these things now and use them as you study. Just like in football, practice like you play.

Roadside design. I just looked at mine and thankfully mine was already updated.
i just checked mine and it was up to date, thank god!

Can someone please post the revisions so I can check..I used the 2001 but thought I made all the 2004 updates.

thanks

C
/>http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=asshto%20roadside%20design%20gude%20revision&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CDIQFjAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fbookstore.transportation.org%2Fimageview.aspx%3Fid%3D129%26DB%3D3&ei=fR25TpWsKZGCtge-8Pm7Bw&usg=AFQjCNGlRzMHlWKtV4-dmcoodHMYbkz9_g

Civil-Transportation Felt good about the morning section… met up with a few friends who’d taken a review course together during the afternoon break….compared a few of my morning guesses with theirs …most of my answers matched theirs… felt good about it…then realized that it didn’t really mean anything coz all of us could have guessed wrong on the answers.
Remember you signed an agreement saying you weren't going to talk about the exam. I'm sure ncees isn't so naive as to think people won't talk with their buddies, but I don't think I admit it in writing on a forum that they monitor......

I am pretty certain there is no breach of contract when you discuss the exam with others who have seen the same exam. I read that somewhere (maybe in the CERM?).

Civil-Transportation Felt good about the morning section… met up with a few friends who’d taken a review course together during the afternoon break….compared a few of my morning guesses with theirs …most of my answers matched theirs… felt good about it…then realized that it didn’t really mean anything coz all of us could have guessed wrong on the answers.

I am pretty certain there is no breach of contract when you discuss the exam with others who have seen the same exam. I read that somewhere (maybe in the CERM?).
I think I'd believe the people in charge rather than someone who writes a review book.......

http://engineerboards.com/index.php?showtopic=3039

Apparently, every agrees to not talk to anyone about the exam.

I took the civil/structural. Thought the morning was quite easy but the afternoon was difficult. Not a lot of stuff I do day-to-day, or that was in the CERM or NCEES practice exams

I think I'd believe the people in charge rather than someone who writes a review book.......

http://engineerboard...?showtopic=3039

Thanks. Your link didn't disprove my contention that there is no breach of contract by discussing the exam with someone who saw the exact same exam.

How do I feel?

I`m still having nightmares!!!! Today, I dreamt that I was going into the exam and I forgot my CERM at home. I pray that translates to I`ll never need the CERM for an exam like the PE ever again.

If only I can get over this exam!!!!!! :angry:

Thanks. Your link didn't disprove my contention that there is no breach of contract by discussing the exam with someone who saw the exact same exam.
Well, if you can discuss the exam with someone and not "reveal in whole or in part any exam questions, answers, problems or solutions to anyone during or after the exam whether orally, in writing, or any Internet chat rooms, or otherwise", then go for it (underline emphasis is mine). I'm not sure how you can talk to anyone about it without breaking this agreement.

But back to my original point. I'm sure they wouldn't be surprised if you and a couple buddies go get a beer afterwards and compare notes. But if you share on a message board that you and your buddies got a beer and talked about the exam, you shouldn't be surprised if they contact you.

Well, if you can discuss the exam with someone and not "reveal in whole or in part any exam questions, answers, problems or solutions to anyone during or after the exam whether orally, in writing, or any Internet chat rooms, or otherwise", then go for it (underline emphasis is mine). I'm not sure how you can talk to anyone about it without breaking this agreement.

But back to my original point. I'm sure they wouldn't be surprised if you and a couple buddies go get a beer afterwards and compare notes. But if you share on a message board that you and your buddies got a beer and talked about the exam, you shouldn't be surprised if they contact you.
Thanks. By discussing the exam with another examinee who saw the exact same questions as you, you are not revealing anything to anyone. No breaking of the agreement. Please see page xxxviii (upper left) of the 12th edition of the CERM. http://ppi2pass.com/shop/pe-exams/civil-pe-exam/civil-engineering-reference-manual-for-the-pe-exam-cerm12.html (Google Preview).

AGREED!

Thanks. By discussing the exam with another examinee who saw the exact same questions as you, you are not revealing anything to anyone. No breaking of the agreement. Please see page xxxviii (upper left) of the 12th edition of the CERM. http://ppi2pass.com/...xam-cerm12.html (Google Preview).
You are if you proceed to have that discussion on a message board.

Thanks. By discussing the exam with another examinee who saw the exact same questions as you, you are not revealing anything to anyone. No breaking of the agreement. Please see page xxxviii (upper left) of the 12th edition of the CERM. http://ppi2pass.com/...xam-cerm12.html (Google Preview).
If they have taken the same test, AM & PM, then it is impossible for you to reveal it to them. They have already seen it.

You are if you proceed to have that discussion on a message board.

Mmmmm.... I don't think there is one person on here that would dispute that. Not sure why you mentioned it.

Again, what I said was: By discussing the exam with another examinee who saw the exact same questions as you, you are not revealing anything to anyone. No breaking of the agreement.

Mmmmm.... I don't think there is one person on here that would dispute that. Not sure why you mentioned it.

Again, what I said was: By discussing the exam with another examinee who saw the exact same questions as you, you are not revealing anything to anyone. No breaking of the agreement.
I wasn't disagreeing with you there. I was in agreement with what MIG said. Because what you didn't specify is in what capacity you would be discussing the exam in. Your statement is subjective because you don't specify in what capacity the discussion is taking place. Discussing the exam on a message board, agreement is in breach.

I wasn't disagreeing with you there. I was in agreement with what MIG said. Because what you didn't specify is in what capacity you would be discussing the exam in. Your statement is subjective because you don't specify in what capacity the discussion is taking place. Discussing the exam on a message board, agreement is in breach.
Really? You interpreted what I said (limiting one's discussion of the exam solely to those who have also seen the exact same exam content) to mean posting exam content on a public internet forum for anyone to see? Interesting.

Latest posts

Back