Recruiters

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[SIZE=14pt]UPDATE[/SIZE]

My wife received a return call from the HH this morning. He said he passed her resume forward to the client company but that they didn't feel she had enough experience for the 'director' position but indicated that they were impressed enough with the resume to see about appropriating money for an 'assistant' director position through the corporate office.

So, the lessons learned are:

1. HH does not necessarily KNOW what work experience/education combinations work for different industries, especially specialized industries;

2. HH exposed my wife to being 'recognized' without assuring she would be a serious candidate for the position of interest; and

3. HH is trying to push for her to get an alternate 'lower' position - regardless of how it works out it feels a lot like bait-n-switch, especially after my wife was CLEAR about not wanting middle-management types of jobs.

I thought it was worthwhile posting this experience for others if you are considering HH services, especially so you have a better idea about the kinds of questions to ask.

I will post final resolution update to bring this full circle.

JR

So I just got my first email from a head-hunter. Surprisingly, I've never gotten one before and I have never sought their (or any recruiter's) services.

What puzzles me is that he sent it to me at my work email, which I would think is a no-no, even in recruiting circles. Additionally, I have no idea how he got my email since it really is only on my business card; I do not use my work email for any sort of personal correspondence whatsoever. All of my association memberships are linked to my personal email as well.

It was sent under the following premise:

"I was interested in speaking with you regarding a Structural Engineering position that I am currently recruiting for, in San Antonio that may be of interest to someone you know. It is a great opportunity with a solid and employee-friendly company. I frequently network with industry professionals, as I have learned that it's a small world and engineers know engineers."

Anyhow, I know it is no big deal but I am curious how he found me. I don't really want to open a line of communication with him, either - I would just assume not deal with this type of person.

thoughts?

^^^ Somebody you know tipped him off. Same thing happened to me except in my case I was able to extract who tipped off the HH as well as the job - both company and position.

IMHO, if you aren't interested in using an HH's services at this point in time - just say so. Add that at such time that you are interested you will contact them and leave it at that.

FWIW - I have found that once you are interested in seeking out another job you are going to most likely do well on your own. If you are strongly motivated to find a job, especially outside of your current locale then perhaps the services of an HH would do well.

I think you have to let your gut reaction decide on choices like these. If your gut says "drop it like it's hot" - well ... you get the drift.

:2cents:

JR

Head hunter's are like telemarketers- they are good at getting contact info. They get it lots of different ways. It could be somebody that tipped them off. If you subscribe to any journals or belong to any professional or honor societies sometimes they sell lists. THey might get it from your school. If you've ever had your name on Monster or someplace like that they can sometimes find out. And sometimes they just pull your name off the list of PEs at the state board website - I've had that happen a couple of times, but usually that is the preferred method of city governments looking for workers around my area- they pull your name off the web and send you a card, rather than call. Plus, once your business card is out there floating around, they sometimes fall into the wrong hands.

Remember, it doesn't cost these guys anything to hit lot's of people up. They just need to get lucky once.

But, if you are looking for a job, or if you will ever look for a job, they can be helpful at times.

Just realize, there's a lot of info out there, and probably the more things you stamp that go into the public record, the more stuff there's gonna be.

^^^ Somebody you know tipped him off. Same thing happened to me except in my case I was able to extract who tipped off the HH as well as the job - both company and position.
I agree. When I was moving back to NC, I had tons of headhunters calling me (note to self: don't post resume on monster.com) and when I told them I wasn't interested, they always asked if I knew of someone else who may be interested. I never gave out any info, although I still have them dropping me emails from time to time.

On a side note: I apparently missed the whole conversation about calendars made from pics of the women of this board. While I do admit that we are hot women...I am not sure how most of our hubbies would feel about us being centerfolds :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, Monster online resume is where most of the HH's got my info. The funny thing was that I had already sent resumes to the companies they were working on, so they really didn't do anything for me.

Monster online resume is where most of the HH's got my info.
Same here. It's funny, I get e-mails from HH's looking to place me in a position that is for Civil, Electrical, or Chemical... I'm Mechanical.

I don't even think 1/2 of them even read the resume, etc. but, I get a note from them saying, found the perfect match job!!!

Yeah, right. You obviously did your homework there big guy. Appreciate the heads up on a job that I don't qualify for.

On a side note: I apparently missed the whole conversation about calendars made from pics of the women of this board. While I do admit that we are hot women...I am not sure how most of our hubbies would feel about us being centerfolds :)

To RE-HIJACK this thread........

DON'T TELL the hubby!!!!! You know, most marriages end in divorce anyway, why worry about it!

BTW....Don't tell the wife about that sentence! she'd kick my ass!

Don't ask, don't tell! Hubby doesn't need to know.

I've never been called by a headhunter. But I have had one chase me through the jungle. :D

^^

Ha ha :rolleyes:

With a topic like headhunters I'm really surprised Pe-ness and Testee haven't weighed in yet.

Looks like I have to un-hijack this thread for a second time!

The headhunter that contacted my wife lost interest once the company stated they didn't feel like she was a match for this #1 position but wanted to see if they could budget the money to offer her a #2 position. In a way, it is a good thing, because I told my wife she didn't need the help of a headhunter to target and market herself to the industry around town. She had an interview today and the company is waiting for the corporate office to come back for an offer. From the sounds of it, she will be satisified with the salary and the nature of the work (even though it will be A LOT busier). She should hear something by tomorrow afternoon.

As for myself, I was able to chat about my opportunities outside of gubment work during my boondoggle. It turns out there when I want to make a serious move, I should be able to find something with a little help from my network of contacts. :)

So, I guess the morale of the story is - give YOURSELF a chance to do a little searching/research. You might be surprised with the result.

:2cents:

JR

P.S. - I was out for a few days and nobody even noticed! :sniff:

I have been contacted by recruiters maybe since I passed my PE exam. I do not think these are related, because they call me by my middle name, which tips me off right away because only people I deal with directly would call me like that, or people I have given my business card to.

One guy told me he was referred to me by a person that knows me, who wanted to remain confidential, I wish I could know who it was, although I feel he is just lying. One of my coworkers used to be a recruiter on his past life and told me basically most of them are weasels. LOL

On any event, after reading the posts here I sure have learned a lot for the next time they call.

JPR

I had a meeting with a recruiter on Monday. The recruiter (who was SMOKING HOT by the way) seemed to really know her stuff and had several very interesting and potentially promising opportunities for me. Im going to interview with one company next week so hopefully things work out.

I had a meeting with a recruiter on Monday. The recruiter (who was SMOKING HOT by the way) seemed to really know her stuff and had several very interesting and potentially promising opportunities for me. Im going to interview with one company next week so hopefully things work out.
:GotPics:

Back