Recruiters

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

roadmonkey

OK, I got a call from a recruiter today that "specializes" in placement in the consulting industry. I've gotten them before from people I can't trust any better than lawyer dressed in drag, and I have summarily ignored them. What made this one interesting is that they had very specific details about my company and specific, and have placed multiple people there in the last 5 years.

Now I have made it no secret among my friends at work that I am not happy with the current work environment and management. So it didn't surprise when I was told I was referred by someone.

Are you ready for the kicker? I was referred by [SIZE=12pt]my department manager,[/SIZE] my supervisor's boss! Supposedly he used the same recruiter when he was hired as a PM several years ago.

So what do I do? I am kinda concerned that my boss is sending recruiters my way, but I am not even sure if that is the case. I was going to start feeling around the employment market soon but not like this. Is it worth the risk? Should I assume my career at my current employer is coming to end?

I just got done with 3 months of stressing for the PE exam, I really didn't need this one week, 6 hours, 56 minutes, and 35 seconds later.

:brickwall:

^^^ That's an interesting conundrum.

If you opt to use that recruiter to seek out employment, they are supposed to keep any your interests CONFIDENTIAL - period. If you don't feel you can trust that recruiter to keep your prospects confidential then I wouldn't use them.

On a slightly different note, you indicated that you have 'made it be know' that you aren't happy. It sounds like you may have already opened the door for looking outside of your present work environment. All I will say is watch who you give information in regards to your intentions unless you honestly don't care. Those sorts of things can come back to haunt you if you decide to not follow through.

:2cents:

JR

I NEVER trust recruiters! A friend of mine had one call him, they talked for a few minutes, the recruiter asked who he had already sent resumes to, so the recruiter sent his resume to the SAME people, and when one of the companies made my friend an offer, the recruiter raised hell with the company expecting a cut......it HAS to be a crooked business.

As far as your situation goes, from what I read, I would upgrade the resume, and start sending it out. Sounds like the writing is on the wall to me.

In the past, the point at which I usually stop talking to a recruiter is when they say "do you know anyone else who might be interested in THIS position?"

there are some decent headhunters out there, but like a car salesman, they only care about getting there 20% of your salary, which they get up front, in cash, regardless of how long you stay there or if your really happy.

Its also a great bartering tool if you interview for a job without using a headhunter to ask for half of what they would pay a headhunter.

In the past, the point at which I usually stop talking to a recruiter is when they say "do you know anyone else who might be interested in THIS position?"
Damn .. isn't that the truth though!!! Nothing like feeling a little :wub: and then

JR

there are some decent headhunters out there, but like a car salesman, they only care about getting there 20% of your salary, which they get up front, in cash, regardless of how long you stay there or if your really happy.
Its also a great bartering tool if you interview for a job without using a headhunter to ask for half of what they would pay a headhunter.

I agree that there are good and bad ones. The retained search recruiters who are paid by a company to find someone for a specific position are typically the best as they have a interest in placing good candidates so they get repeat business.

Make sure that you control to whom your resume gets sent to. Don't give the recruiter a the ok to send your resume to anyone without your approval. Also make sure you understand what limitations you have on finding work on your own.

Generally I don't trust headhunters, I'm sorry 'executive recruiters'. I do usually talk to them enough to figure out who is really hiring and for what since many of the headhunters that call aren't exactly 100% up on what I do. One guy that calls me every other week or so just tells me the company that is hiring since I can usually guess who it is or I will guess until he gives up and tells me (once had him going for 45 minutes until he gave in).

Based on who I work for and the volume and type of work we do, I have a small list of comparable competitors that I would be willing to talk to (not to mention locations). I have given one of my co-worker's names out in the past, but that was merely since the group here collectively wanted him gone so there would be some management changes (he stayed).

-Ray

I used one to find me my current job in Dallas. I liked him and would refer others to him. Most I have dealt with in the past I never talk to. This guy left me a message on my phone, then an email and left me alone. That's why I called him back. Everyone else called 8 times a day. I had two interviews scheduled the first day I talked to him, one of them with the place I am now typing from. He also just called as a follow-up 6 months later. But I am VERY weary of most of them. If I were you, I'd find a different one without the weird connection. IMHO

^ I worked with one when I was moving up this way a few years back, but ultimately went with a firm I found on my own.

She got me one interview. It was with a one man show operating in his garage attic 50 miles from where I was going to live. Oh boy. She emailed and called me constantly.

I worked with two recruiters. One got me an interview at a biotech company. The first interview went well. I didnt hear from the recruiter for almost two years. She calls me out of the blue and asks if Im ready for my second interview with the company. To top it off she got pissy with me when I told her I found another job.

Another recruiter would call me constantly and ask "what hourly rate would you accept for a temporary position with no benefits?". I told her there was no way in hell the company I would work with no bene's or the pay I would demand would be so high they wouldnt want me.

Make sure that you control to whom your resume gets sent to. Don't give the recruiter a the ok to send your resume to anyone without your approval. Also make sure you understand what limitations you have on finding work on your own.
Very good points - especially the last one. I have had a few headhunter phonecalls - nothing I was particularly interested in but of course they offered to 'market me' around. IMHO, I think I have been able to do A LOT better in terms of finding/hearing about job availabilities within my area of work through my own connections rather than a these folks. For that very reason, I am VERY leery about using those services unless maybe I felt like I was in a pinch or moving outside of my area of work.

Bottom line (figuritively and literally) - make sure to do your research before you jump in.

:2cents:

JR

I found this thread really helpful. If you are going out of area, (another state) is it important to find someone local for a head hunter? Anybody have any other suggestions for finding positions on your own, if you are completely out of area? Maybe join the local engineering society and get their news letter?

When I was in the pursuit of changing locations, I put my resume on Monster (big mistake, maybe). The first day I had like 43 messages on my answering maching and about the same amount in e-mail.

To most "recruiters", you are just a quick sale, and this was learned through talking with many of them. I was actually placed by a recruiter at my current firm.

I had dealt with this recruiter since about 2001, and had lost his info during a move, so I tried to take a chance and go the Moster route to see if he would catch a glimpse of my resume. As luck had it, he actually had an appointment set up to call me back from a previous conversation, and he never saw my resume on Monster.

I did interview with a few companies through a recruiter that was based in Tampa, for positions available in Tampa. Even with my salary requiements, that recruiter flew me to Tampa to meet with two firms that all but low-balled me...and that didn't even phase this recruiter (it was really a waste of my time and energy).

Now back to the recruiter that placed me here. Very personable, very accountable and very much concerned about my needs and wants (he even spoke with my wife a few times while we were pursuing the transistion). He talked me out of the Tampa market and into another market in Florida (where I am at now), that I never really had any knowledge of. He knew my salary requirements, and the two interviews that he set up were right in the salary range.

I have since referred about four engineers to him (sure wish I would get some kick-back on that).

The "headhunters" that I dealt with were just "used car salesmen" looking to get the quick commission.

the pay I would demand would be so high they wouldnt want me.
Depending on industry, thats not necessarily true. For example, in certain sectors of government work the burdened rate for an engineer can be upwards of $150 an hour. So if you say you want $125, they think they are getting a deal. Or, for example, you get $90 and hour and then a good per diem (if you are travelling). You see, per diem for government subcontractors is kind of viewed as a sunk cost to the government, so you can make a lot of money (tax-free!) there. The key to subcontracting is knowing what number to ask for, and thats based on what the burden rate is for the contractors direct employees. Also, you have to know some tricks about taxes, health insurance, retirement, etc, so that you can do the math to know whether its a good deal. And your risk tolerance has to be a certain level, b/c you can get laid off at any time. But if you make twice the money, you only have to work half the year.

Don't be afraid to throw out a big number when someone asks you that question.

While I agree on a lot of the thoughts on headhunters I do make it a point to actually talk to them when they call, I figure it never hurts to see what else is out there and where you are financially, even if you don’t plan on interviewing or taking it any further.

But some are assholes:

When I left my last job I was talking with a HH for a position working downtown Atlanta, I was upfront with her that I was interested in the local govt position that I was seeking at the time (that I now have) also its about a 5 mile commute versus the 40 mile commute to go downtown. I did interview there but I had put them on hold as far as the offer letter, which they sent anyway, it was a nice offer but I just was bored with consulting and needed a change. After I made the final phone call that I was for sure getting the local govt job the HH called me on my cell phone and left a tirade on my voice mail (she was from up north) I saved it for as long as I could.

My going to the county cost her a $22,000 commission…

I found this thread really helpful. If you are going out of area, (another state) is it important to find someone local for a head hunter? Anybody have any other suggestions for finding positions on your own, if you are completely out of area? Maybe join the local engineering society and get their news letter?
I moved 1400 miles a little over a year ago. We knew about the move 6 months in advance because it was a transfer for my husband. This may not have been smart, but I told my previous company 4 months ahead of time that I would be leaving. This was mainly because I knew that 2 engineers in my division (including the vice president of our division) had gone to school in the state where I was moving, and still had contacts there. I was able to use their contacts to land 8 interviews, 5 of which resulted in offers. I had 2 headhunters call me, but by then I had 2 interviews already lined up and didn't feel like I needed help.

I would say, see what you can do on your own first. You would be surprised at how helpful people in your current company might be, especially if you convince them that there is another reason for the move. That part was easy for me because my husband's company was transferring him.

Also, if you've stayed in touch with anyone from school, get in touch with them. You may find that someone is working in the area where you want to go, and can get you in.

Of course, if you're going to Florida, PM jfusilloPE and if you're going to Dallas, PM squishles10! It sounds like they have good recruiters they could set you up with!

Most of the recruiters I know are not local to the areas they are trying to place people in... the two main ones that call me are from Oregon and Boston. They understand nothing about the region (i.e. - They don't get that I have no desire to commute into NYC, none what so ever!). They think that since it is close, it is fine... or traveling into north NJ to work (I currently travel south). 20 miles north = 1 hour +; 30 miles south = 30 minutes or less (from where I live).

OK.....I will have to admit that my previous post wasn't TOTALLY correct. I once DID use a recruiter...not because I like them, but more because she was SMOKING HOT!

I just really can't help myself around hot females, That's why I got into this business to begin with, you know, like Frazil, Maryannette, Jenevans, Txengchick, and the others!

That reminds me, Weren't we going to do a Calendar?

Back