Post stuff here you want to post on FB but are afraid to..

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's what I think they did to get 56. The bold is the step performed to move on...

Step 1: 7+7/7+7*7-7

Step 2: 14/7+7*7-7

Step 3: 2+7*7-7

Step 4: 9*7-7

Step 5: 63 - 7 = 56

Here's what I think they did to get 56. The bold is the step performed to move on...

Step 1: 7+7/7+7*7-7

Step 2: 14/7+7*7-7

Step 3: 2+7*7-7

Step 4: 9*7-7

Step 5: 63 - 7 = 56
I think you're right, and that would be written as: (((((7+7)/7)+7)*7)-7)

It's not just idiots who screw up PEMDAS. My former coworker is brilliant, college valedictorian, and looked at me like I was alien when I told him that the multiplication/division were equal, and are worked in the order they appear.

Your house is NOT not clean becaue you value family time, your house is not clean because you enjoy sitting on your butt playing candy crush and justify it because you work full time and "need a break". If you dislike the state of your house enough that you need to make excuses about it on facebook to people who don't even live in the same state as you, you may want to consider cleaning it.

When did FB create this feature where you don't even need to think of a comment to write anymore, you just dump a cute but ambiguous emoticon onto someone's post? #idiocracy #thanksfornothingzuckerberg

When did FB create this feature where you don't even need to think of a comment to write anymore, you just dump a cute but ambiguous emoticon onto someone's post? #idiocracy #thanksfornothingzuckerberg

new_laugh_crying_smiley.png

Exactly, I was thinking how godawful it would be if forum posts started reading like that too.

At first I thought, "This is a decent way of communicating across languages since Facebook Translate sucks." Then I got a picture comment that still had a bunch of words in a language I can't read and I gave up on that notion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly, I was thinking how godawful it would be if forum posts started reading like that too.

At first I thought, "This is a decent way of communicating across languages since Facebook Translate sucks." Then I got a picture comment that still had a bunch of words in a language I can't read and I gave up on that notion.
It always cracks me up when I use the translate tool.

It's not just idiots who screw up PEMDAS. My former coworker is brilliant, college valedictorian, and looked at me like I was alien when I told him that the multiplication/division were equal, and are worked in the order they appear.

THIS! I cringe every time I see one of those "Who can get this right or I'm unfriending" PEMDAS tests. Really, just go back to school already if you cannot remember the order of operations. It makes me wonder how these idiots would do with a basic foiling problem.

THIS! I cringe every time I see one of those "Who can get this right or I'm unfriending" PEMDAS tests. Really, just go back to school already if you cannot remember the order of operations. It makes me wonder how these idiots would do with a basic foiling problem.
I just get mad at them for writing it the way they do. Sure there is a order of operations to be followed, but what's wrong with adding parenthesis to remove any possible confusion.

((3+4)*8)/(5-2)

I just get mad at them for writing it the way they do. Sure there is a order of operations to be followed, but what's wrong with adding parenthesis to remove any possible confusion.

((3+4)*8)/(5-2)

Thats how you have to put it into a spread sheet...

Back