PMP Certification

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PMP is for morons that don't have the intelligence to obtain a 90% (or even 60%) percentile on the GMAT -- it's an out for neanderthal man to justify his/her existence in a civilized society.

And the winner is...
AAFES
Damn, I should have thought of that... but being Navy (we have our own Navy Exchange and don't play with the Army and Air Force in AAFES) it didn't jump out at me. Too, it's a non-appropriated fund activity (I think) so that also puts them in a different light.

I remember working on a DECA project in Italy... what a hassle! I'm tempted to describe the headquarters PM as a nazi, except he was german so that's probably a little inappropriate!

Did you like working for AAFES? Did you do construction or O&M?

I got my PMP certification about a year ago. My advice is to look at the really big high points of the PMBOK. I don't have anything even close to total recall, so the PMBOK stuff doesn't stick very well! Buy a good exam prep book by Rita Mulcahy (I did not use hers, but I have heard it is very good). I used one by Andy Crowe. I highly recommend this book. Use your PC and do as many "mock" exams as you can stomach. I knew I was read to take it when I could recognize mistakes in some online mock exams. I would open up an exam and my electronic version of the PMBOK at the same time. When I missed a question, I would look it up in PMBOK. Worked pretty well. DON'T ASSUME YOUR PM EXPERIENCE WILL HELP YOU PASS!!!!!

This thread is getting ridiculous. Half the people I work with have an MBA. A third have a PMP. A PMP is required at the Program Manager level and above, and I believe that is DoD wide, maybe not. I took the GMAT and got accepted to Vanderbilt's Business School- obviously I didn't fail it. I didn't go- I didn't want to go. Looking around at the engineers with MBAs and huge egos and no base in reality makes me very happy with my choice not to go.

I like working for AAFES a lot. I get to fly all over and I don't have to do design anymore. I was SO tired of design. I still get to go hang out on construction projects and tell public works employees where to shove it. And I get paid a lot to do it. The benefits are fantastic and everyone I meet in the hallway is always smiling and happy to be at work. EVERYONE, and I work in a building with 4000 employees. If you can keep all of them happy, then you are doing something right. I don't work with arrogant pricks, never met one here. No one cares where you went to school, how high your GMAT score was, or how great you were at your last job. It's quire refreshing.

Latest posts

Back