EIT Certifications

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamie Kibler

Reaction score
I am a Recruiting Coordinator for an Engineering firm, but my background is Psychology :) I'm researching the rules/regulations on the FE Exam and obtaining the EIT certification, so i can better assist graduates as they enter the workforce. I'm having a hard time finding/understanding the Michigan rules for EIT certification - after you pass the FE exam, do you have an option to get an EIT certification? It appears on the NCEES site that the certification is not required, but can it be obtained? any help or assistance in understanding this process is greatly appreciated!

The P.E. License is what you are aiming for if you are an EIT where passing the FE is one of the Prerequisites otherwise there isn't much point to the "title". EIT is not really a certification, just a milestone. If you pass the FE exam you get to call yourself an Engineer in Training (EIT) on your journey to P.E. licensure. There are no "Certifications" that I am aware of...

Call your local P.E. Board... but I don't think they would let you sit for the test without you also being down the road toward an approved Engineering Degree first.

Typically the EIT is awarded after graduating from an ABET/EAC program and a passing score on the FE exam. Michigan does not allow those with and ABET/ETAC to be licensed. Engineering Technology degrees are ABET/ETAC accredited. There can be a background check, fingerprinting, ethics exam and/or notarized oath. There is an actual EIT certificate, and official certification that goes along with it. I have EIT certificates from two states. EITs are subject to the same disciplinary action as PEs. Some states have them posted online, others only have PEs online. Some states have expiration dates for EIT, others are good for life. Some states boards approve sitting for the PE exam with an EIT certificate from any state, others require an EIT certificate from their own state. States vary in the amount of education required before taking the FE exam, with most being 2 years. Michigan has no education, experience or reference requirement to sit for the FE exam. More information is available here:
The big takeaway is, EITs have no stamping privileges, cannot be engineer-in-charge, or have their own engineering business. They must work under a licensed PE to perform engineering work.

Thank you for your responses, the question I have however, Can an EIT certification be obtained in Michigan? After passing the FE and having all the required qualifications met, can an engineer submit for the certification under Michigan state? In PA the engineer will register with NCEES and receive an EIT certification. Can this be done in Michigan? I know it is not required, but can it be obtained?

Back