PMP Certification

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah... PgMP is a new program... was that what you were talking about in your first post regarding two PMPs? If so, I'd suggest it's too early to tell how industry, government, or the DoD will react to this certification.
Actually, I was addressing the other PMP (Project Management Professional) since the Rita text and most of industry is focused on this certification (and that was what the other posting mentioned for their PMP certification).

You're the first person that actually asked about PgMP. None of the DoD folks I know are focused on this right now. But then, S/W Engineering and industry do not handle large programs, but are project-based in line with PMI's definition of a project --- one-time task that goes away upon completion. More importantly, PMI's definition of a project is that once whatever it is that is developed (i.e., bridge, road, software application), it gets handed over to another organization or organizational entity for Operations and Maintenance (O&M). Since you are familiar with DoD you realize that DoD does Program Management not Project Management. The DoD exception and aerospace for that matter based on my experience, is S/W Engineering. While an organizational entity such as a CSC, EDS, SAIC, et al may develop a software application for DoD, once it is blessed and becomes operational, another organization (usually a DoD entity or another contractor entity) is responsible for the O&M.

I wholeheartedly agree with you, "wait-and-see". However, I really can't see commercial industry picking up on Program Management. Again, my example of bridges or roadways. Once a Halliburton or CH2M Hill builds something, especially on the State or Municipal level, the State or Municipal entity is the organizational entity that is responsible for O & M. Not so in DoD. When a satellite, ship, submarine, or aircraft is built for DoD by a contractor, DoD is still the entity that does the O & M. This is the reason that there are Program Managers (PMs) on the contractor and DoD side. I personally know several engineers that moved up to PMs (I came out of college and trained under them when they were PMs) that developed the first IMINT and SIGINT systems. By the time I graduated and worked for these people, they were the PMs on the 3rd/4th generation of these satellite families. There is a lot to be said when one is exposed to folks who worked on the first systems. It was a really challenging and exciting experience. Since I was in Engineer in charge of the autonomous C3I (now C4I in DoD nomenclature), I had to apply transmission line theory and high frequency communications theory to resolve the problem of signal reflection since there were multiple cables to provide redundancy and backup to multiple subsystems (that were systems unto themselves) that also had redundancy (in case of failure by another unit or two). As the PMs and Chief System Engineers that mentored me pointed out, "Things were much simpler. One box and one cable between boxes". When I asked why the change, they laughed and looked at me. "Well, you're the one with the VLSI and computer knowledge ---- what used to be a single box is now on a card in the box." Each of the 6 boxes that I was responsible for, along with the 48-bit-slice computer, had 24 populated card slots out of 28. I was more flabbergasted by the fact that there were 24 128-pin connectors on each of the boxes.

However, since these former PMs are not licensed PEs (though 2 have Ph.Ds in engineering), they cannot provide Verification of my Engineering Experience that would be accepted by my State Board so that I can take the PE Exam. Some have already passed on.

Sorry for going off on tangents, but it is really nice to interact with others who have the passion and knowledge that I find here at engineerboards.com.

My BS is in Project Management, from the engineering school but not accredited. I could take the PE. I personally know at least 10 people that aren't degreed engineers that are PEs, in various states. I have an MS in Civil that took a year off, but it didn't change much else. I have never been in an interview before, or seen a job description that specifically asked about the PMP until the DoD. The job was for a construction manager, I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

I have never been in an interview before, or seen a job description that specifically asked about the PMP until the DoD. The job was for a construction manager, I don't know if that makes a difference or not.
Now you're getting close to home... I doubt (hope!) it wasn't the Navy you're talking about. Was is the Army Corps of Engineers or the Air Force?

Nope. This is a fun game- keep guessing! (Can you tell I'm unemployed and bored as hell???)
OK... DoD can only be the military departments (Army, Navy, and Air Force), the Joint Staff, and then lots of cats and dogs under the SecDef (too many to guess!). But to keep this going, you've already said it's not the military departments and the Joint Staff is a really long shot, so I'll go for... National Security Agency. But if you can't give me a hint, there's something like another twenty or thirty possibilities.

Here is my observation and contribution. Navy oversees almost all of the construction for military dependent housing here. Somehow, except for Stryker brigade related construction, they got oversight of other types of military construction. Oversight is the key concept here ---- they have contractors doing the actual work and more importantly -----> operations and maintenance. The contractors that are performing this type of work are listing in their job requirements: CE degree, PMP (not PgMP) certification. Obviously with an EE degree, they are not interested in me. The contractors that are performing or in the process of bidding on O&M contracts that are covered by these military contracts are the ones requiring PMP certification as part of the job requirement.

While not directly related to this forum (but to another forum here on this board), you may find these certifications "interesting" as a job requirement. For example, an FAA contractor in the Washington, DC area has listed within the job requirement: FE/EIT certification in lieu of an engineering degree. The rationale ===> public safety.

It's sort of under a few of the ones you mentioned above. It's not any of them that you did mention. I'll give you clues but it's hard.

It's sort of under a few of the ones you mentioned above. It's not any of them that you did mention. I'll give you clues but it's hard.
OK... I'm sticking with SecDef then. Here's what might not be a complete list:

United States Secretary of Defense

* United States Deputy Secretary of Defense

o Office of the Secretary of Defense

+ Defense Policy Board Advisory Committee

+ Office of Net Assessment

+ Pentagon Force Protection Agency

+ Office of General Counsel

# Defense Legal Services Agency

+ Office of Inspector General

# Defense Criminal Investigative Service

o Under Secretary of Defense for Intelligence

+ Defense Intelligence Agency

+ Defense Security Service

+ Counterintelligence Field Activity

+ National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency

+ National Reconnaissance Office

+ National Security Agency

o Under Secretary of Defense for Policy

+ Defense Security Cooperation Agency

+ Defense Prisoner of War/Missing Personnel Office

o Under Secretary of Defense for Acquisition, Technology and Logistics

+ Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency

+ Missile Defense Agency

+ Defense Contract Management Agency

+ Defense Logistics Agency

+ Defense Threat Reduction Agency

+ Office of Economic Adjustment

+ Defense Acquisition University

+ Business Transformation Agency

+ Operational Test and Evaluation Directorate (DOT&E)

o Under Secretary of Defense for Personnel and Readiness

+ Defense Commissary Agency

+ Defense Human Resources Activity

+ Department of Defense Education Activity

+ Department of Defense Dependents Schools

+ Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences

+ Defense Equal Opportunity Management Institute

+ Office of the Chancellor for Education and Professional Development

o Under Secretary of Defense Comptroller

+ Defense Contract Audit Agency

+ Defense Finance and Accounting Service

o Assistant Secretary of Defense for Networks and Information Integration

+ Defense Information Systems Agency

o Assistant Secretary of Defense for Public Affairs

+ Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense, Internal Communications, Allison Barber

o Washington Headquarters Services

o Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense for Health Affairs

+ Military Health System[1]

# TRICARE Management Activity

So I'll refine my guess to "Under Secretary of Defense for Acquisition, Technology and Logistics" and if forced to pick one, it'd be DTRA... no, DARPA.

Last edited by a moderator:
GAO? I don't think they're technically DoD, but we had some GAO weenies in our office.

HWY PE said:
It's probably the National Guard.
Except the National Guard isn't part of the Department of Defense... unless maybe your talking about a state's Department of Defense (if there even is such a thing).

Good feedback on the course... thanks.

Except the National Guard isn't part of the Department of Defense... unless maybe your talking about a state's Department of Defense (if there even is such a thing).
Good feedback on the course... thanks.
Surprise, surprise :)

Yes, there is a state with a state Department of Defense --> Hawaii. It is listed under the State Government departments.

Here is the link: http://hawaii.gov/dod

At least they don't require PMP certification.

none of those. its under one or more of the branches of the armed forces, kind of.
one more day and ill give it up :)
Alight... another hint: does the title contain the word "defense"? If so, I'll try Defense Contract Management Agency (DCMA).

I'll join in the guessing game ... Defense Logistics Agency (DLA)?
My error ... DLA was on the earlier list.

How about Defense Systems Management College?

Government agencies supporting PMP certification include the U.S. Defense Systems Management College,

Note to IlPadrino, the following job description is in your neck of the woods: Hunt Valley, MD.

Also note at the bottom, "... an understanding of Sarbanes/Oxley". How many engineers can even spell this?

Maybe I ought to hurry up and take the PMI PMP certification exam and apply for this job. But then, I'll probably forgot engineering knowledge needed to take the PE exam since this position entails managing contracts, not engineering.

Job Information

Job title

Program Manager PMP or PMI DoD Development in Electronics

Company Design Staffing, LLC

Wage between $0.00 - $0.00 Annually

Location United States, Maryland, Hunt Valley

Employment type Full Time

Education Associate

Year Experience 3 - 4 Years of Practical Experience

Travel None

Published on 1/12/2007

Description

Job Title: Program Manager

Our client is looking for Program Managers who must have an Engineering Degree and who come from Engineering backgrounds to join their growing team and to manage existing contracts. The candidates must have PMI or PMP certification and have Defense Management Acquisition Knowledge and a minimum of 5 years experience.

They are looking to hire Program Managers for their contracts that must have past experience on a DOD Development program and we are not looking for a Production PM.

The responsibilities will include program capture, planning, execution and closeout associated with critical Engineering Development projects.

Responsibilities will include proposal development with specific focus on cost volume development. Program Planning using (IMP/IMS) methods and other project management and contract coordination and or business management tasks as assigned.

Candidates must be US Citizens and must be able to hold at least a SECRET security clearance level. Some travel is required, and an understanding of Sarbanes/Oxley. Must have basic understanding of CMMI initiatives, ISO standards and compliance, supply chain management theory, and ERP system capabilities.

Education required: Bachelors Degree in an engineering discipline or technical field, preferably Electrical/Mechanical with electronics development experience.

Please send me a copy of your resume in word attachment mpoage@

df-tc

Experience/Skills

Candidates must be US Citizens and must be able to hold at least a SECRET security clearance level. Some travel is required, and an understanding of Sarbanes/Oxley. Must have basic understanding of CMMI initiatives, ISO standards and compliance, supply chain management theory, and ERP system capabilities.

Please send me a copy of your resume in word attachment mpoage@

Other desired skills:

Program Manager PMP or PMI DoD Development in Electronics

Latest posts

Back