PE exam question.

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mot14

Reaction score
Hello – I have failed my Mechanical PE examination in North Carolina for the third time this past spring. I have a couple questions about the exam:

1. Is it possible to take the exam in a different state, like South Carolina in the fall and not wait a year as required by North Carolina?
  2. I thought I did fairly well on the exam. Is there a way to request to review the examination to see where I went wrong – maybe I missed bubbled my answers, don’t know – I think it is doubtful that I can review?

Thanks for your answers.

depends on the state you need your license in...

you will not be able to see your exam. You can pay money to have it run through the scan tron machine again, but there is no visual inspection of test and it isn;t worth the worth...time better spent studying.

I wouldn't waste time & resources trying to obtain much less disputing your score with NCEES. Your efforts would be better spent looking to register for the Oct. exam with another state, which is certainly a viable option. Once you have that under your belt, focus your studies on your weak areas based on your diagnostic report. Good luck! :thumbs:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes you can take in another state. I know people that do it but all states are a little different....

I concur with the posts-- your time and money is best spent reviewing the diagnostic reports that you have--you should have 3 if you have failed 3 times and see where your deficiencies are. I suspect that the diagnostic reports are all very similiar in content-- it is very surprising to have 3 very different diagnostic reports--i.e., you were strong in one area one time, weak in the same area the second time, etc.

In some licensing jurisdictions,you may be required to obtain 12 more hours of college credit before being allowed to again sit for the examination. I don't know about North Carolina, however, that is something that you will want to check before you get too far along. South Carolina may be the same-- normally many jurisdictions require some additional education credit and perhaps a letter to the state board explaining your deficiencies before you are allowed to sit again for the examination.

If you are continually taking the exam and not making significant adjustments to your study and review methods, then you will probably get the same result each time. I don't know if that is the case or not?

You may do well to take a year off-- REALLY STUDY and get this material down cold-- then take the test and be done with it. I am sure that some folks can take the test multiple times and upon time 6, end up passing. However, a much more focused approach is to be really prepared and do it just once.

Good luck.

I agree with everyone above, don't waste your time fighting your score, it won't get you anywhere. Your time is better spent studying. You can focus on specific sections now and knock it out of the park. I am licenced in SD and the rules are different in all the states around. In SD you have to do a state test about state codified law before you can even get approved to take the test. If you decide to take it in a different state, make sure they don't have special rules.

Back