PE Designation

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you imagine the failure rate on the PE exam if they just let anyone walk in and take it?
Grover, in Arizona, Michigan and Utah, all you need to do to qualify to sit for the PE exam is send proof of an appropriate degree (transcript) and sign a statement that you have the right experience (and send in $$$). The references and associated paperwork aren't required until after you pass both the FE and PE. I imagine this was done because it takes the burden off the state to verify experience of people who ultimately never pass both tests.

EDIT: I know this is true in MI, and the AZ and UT qualification are handled with similar forms through ELSES so I'm assuming it is true there too, but I don't have firsthand knowledge.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not going to believe it until I see my name up in lights! Well at least be able to look it up on the online state licensee search. Then i will believe.

That's correct. Several guys from our office have done this and have PE status in CA (as long as they pass the seismic portion), but are still waiting to meet the time requirement in Arizona before they can get their stamp. Some of our Civil guys have passed the PE test in CA, but failed the seismic portion. They don't have a PE status for CA, but as soon as they meet the time requirement for AZ, they get their stamp since our state does not require the seismic part. Arizona is trying to put a stop to this since it resulted in lots of lost revenue for the BTR.

Yes- this is exactly my situation. I think it was actually harder for me to get registered to take the exam than it was to actually sit down and pass the SOB. I used "the other board" reference material for Seismic and I don't expect to pass that portion but I did well on the NCEES and the survey portions. I now have more than 4 years experience but I did not when I applied way, way, back. I'm in Kingman, AZ and getting 4 Civil stamps to approve me was somewhat challenging. Especially when somebody says they will and then they don't get it turned in or worse, they actually write something on the referral that stops me from getting approved for the exam. What a bunch of bastards! Oh well, I made it. Now just waiting for the official papers.

Back