Oregon PE Results?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is absolutely ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OSBEELS?? So much for being professional. It makes no sense why we have not received our results. Complete JOKE!!!

Everyone take a deep breath... smile... and put this into perspective. It ain't easy, but it's preferable to going insane.

This is absolutely ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OSBEELS?? So much for being professional. It makes no sense why we have not received our results. Complete JOKE!!!
This sucks and I feel for you guys. Right before I got my results from Washington, I was truely developing an ulcer, I had to go on a B.R.A.T. diet for the last 3 days so my stomach would not hurt.

Now who ever told me that I was out of line for criticizing OSBEELS.......

[SIZE=14pt] I TOLD YOU SO.[/SIZE]

This sucks and I feel for you guys. Right before I got my results from Washington, I was truely developing an ulcer, I had to go on a B.R.A.T. diet for the last 3 days so my stomach would not hurt.
Now who ever told me that I was out of line for criticizing OSBEELS.......

[SIZE=14pt] I TOLD YOU SO.[/SIZE]
Hey... I hate to come off as insensitive, but if you'd develop an ulcer over this, you really need to consider some stress management therapy - it's not normal to have such physical reactions. See a doctor!

And I continue maintain all this complaining of waiting is over-reacting - a week or month, more or less, makes very little difference in the scheme of things. Yes... it sucks. But there's a lot worse in this world.

Oh, and let's hope OSBEELS doesn't remember you - your application for comity (assuming you'll apply) could get held up a long time!

I called OSBEELS yesterday to get an update. They indicated they are printing letters soon, should be mailed out in the next week or so. I don't know if that was definitive. Also, I asked if I would be able to retake the exam in the fall if I failed, given that the OSBEELS application deadline has already passed. The woman told me I would not and I would have to reapply for the spring exam, and this is an issue OSBEELS is aware of and has been discussing. I did not get the impression they were actively trying to develop a process so that people that failed could sign up for the next available test. Just an FYI.

I called OSBEELS yesterday to get an update. They indicated they are printing letters soon, should be mailed out in the next week or so. I don't know if that was definitive. Also, I asked if I would be able to retake the exam in the fall if I failed, given that the OSBEELS application deadline has already passed. The woman told me I would not and I would have to reapply for the spring exam, and this is an issue OSBEELS is aware of and has been discussing. I did not get the impression they were actively trying to develop a process so that people that failed could sign up for the next available test. Just an FYI.
I actually asked about that early on just after taking the test. I had seen that the dates didn't make sense for the results and the next test. So what they will do for you is wait to process your payment for the next test until you have received the results from the last test. I am already signed up for the next test and I will just call and cancel everything if it ends up that I already passed the April test.

I knew we wouldn't have results before the deadline to apply for the October test, but I didn't want to pay $ and then find out I passed the April test. Didn't think they would refund the money because they say it's non-refundable I believe.

Another Day without results, sigh.

I knew we wouldn't have results before the deadline to apply for the October test, but I didn't want to pay $ and then find out I passed the April test. Didn't think they would refund the money because they say it's non-refundable I believe.
Another Day without results, sigh.
it isn't that they are refunding. they are holding off on processing the charges. I submitted my stuff for the june 1st deadline and I have yet to be charged.

Also, I asked if I would be able to retake the exam in the fall if I failed, given that the OSBEELS application deadline has already passed. The woman told me I would not and I would have to reapply for the spring exam, and this is an issue OSBEELS is aware of and has been discussing. I did not get the impression they were actively trying to develop a process so that people that failed could sign up for the next available test.
When I took the exam a few years ago they said there'd be no trouble reapplying past the deadline for those that failed given results came out after the deadline. It might be worth double (or triple!) checking if you have to take another turn.

When I took the exam a few years ago they said there'd be no trouble reapplying past the deadline for those that failed given results came out after the deadline. It might be worth double (or triple!) checking if you have to take another turn.
I'm pretty sure they don't allow this any longer. I've kept up on reading the board minutes and it seems like this issue always comes up after the exam results come out - someone will go to the board and petition to be allowed to re-take the exam because the results came out after the deadline. The board/exam committee always rejects those petitions and says that it’s something that needs to be addressed in the future.

A year or two ago, they changed the application deadline from July 15th to June 1st. With the previous deadline, the results were almost always out before the application deadline, but in changing the deadline, the board knew that this would be a problem for test takers who failed since they would never receive the results before the new deadline. They chose at that time not to extend the deadline for test takers who failed. I'm not sure why, but I'm guessing it’s because they'd have to draft a revision to the Oregon Administrative Rules specifically addressing this issue. Since its not a few isolated incidences of people not receiving their letters before the deadline, but EVERY person who failed and wanted to retry, I doubt the staff even have the authority to allow this.

In general, I think the Board itself is pretty good (i.e. - Board members), it just appears that the staff are not totally on top of things. Not sure what they make in terms of their salary, but I'm guessing it’s not much. The other thing to keep in mind is that while they are busy manually typing exam result letters, they are also reviewing exam applications for the October exam. I know that doesn't make it much easier for all of you who are waiting, but let’s keep hoping that it won't take the 3-4 weeks quoted by OSBEELS staff. I think this is the latest they've ever come out for Oregon, it will be interesting to see what "issue" might have caused it. I know it didn't always used to take this long . . .

And just a side note (I'm not trying to sound mean or addressing this to anyone in particular) I've noticed that people who tend to complain a lot about the incompetency of the state boards (not just Oregon - check out the other state threads) and want to "change the system" lose a lot motivation once they receive their passing letters (thus never having to deal directly with the board ever again, except to send the renewal notice). I admit that I'm one of those people (who complained a lot before I was licensed but haven't been motivated to do anything about it), but I've been thinking it would be interesting to go to a board meeting in person and listen to their discussions. I'm sure there's a lot we would learn. Anyone want to go with me? I can't make it to the September meeting, but maybe the November meeting? Maybe help "change the system" for future test takers?

I'm pretty sure they don't allow this any longer. I've kept up on reading the board minutes and it seems like this issue always comes up after the exam results come out - someone will go to the board and petition to be allowed to re-take the exam because the results came out after the deadline. The board/exam committee always rejects those petitions and says that it’s something that needs to be addressed in the future.
A year or two ago, they changed the application deadline from July 15th to June 1st. With the previous deadline, the results were almost always out before the application deadline, but in changing the deadline, the board knew that this would be a problem for test takers who failed since they would never receive the results before the new deadline. They chose at that time not to extend the deadline for test takers who failed. I'm not sure why, but I'm guessing it’s because they'd have to draft a revision to the Oregon Administrative Rules specifically addressing this issue. Since its not a few isolated incidences of people not receiving their letters before the deadline, but EVERY person who failed and wanted to retry, I doubt the staff even have the authority to allow this.

In general, I think the Board itself is pretty good (i.e. - Board members), it just appears that the staff are not totally on top of things. Not sure what they make in terms of their salary, but I'm guessing it’s not much. The other thing to keep in mind is that while they are busy manually typing exam result letters, they are also reviewing exam applications for the October exam. I know that doesn't make it much easier for all of you who are waiting, but let’s keep hoping that it won't take the 3-4 weeks quoted by OSBEELS staff. I think this is the latest they've ever come out for Oregon, it will be interesting to see what "issue" might have caused it. I know it didn't always used to take this long . . .

And just a side note (I'm not trying to sound mean or addressing this to anyone in particular) I've noticed that people who tend to complain a lot about the incompetency of the state boards (not just Oregon - check out the other state threads) and want to "change the system" lose a lot motivation once they receive their passing letters (thus never having to deal directly with the board ever again, except to send the renewal notice). I admit that I'm one of those people (who complained a lot before I was licensed but haven't been motivated to do anything about it), but I've been thinking it would be interesting to go to a board meeting in person and listen to their discussions. I'm sure there's a lot we would learn. Anyone want to go with me? I can't make it to the September meeting, but maybe the November meeting? Maybe help "change the system" for future test takers?
Do they meet in Salem? So another note about the OSBEELS staff is that the may be short handed. There is a job posting for an administrative assistant whose job description sounds a whole lot like the people that would be putting these letters together. This may be one of many things that have caused delays this year.

Yes, they meet in Salem every other month (committees meet every other month that the board doesn't meet). Here is the link to the meeting notice for today's meeting.

http://www.oregon.gov/OSBEELS/docs/Board/N...otice200907.pdf

The notices are supposed to be posted a week before the meeting - anyone can attend a meeting.

Yeah, they might be short handed, especially considering the same people reviewing applications probably processes results too.

Check out the working conditions description:

Typical office environment. Extended periods of time using telephone and computer. Contact with individuals that may be unhappy, dissatisfied or irate.

Hey... I hate to come off as insensitive, but if you'd develop an ulcer over this, you really need to consider some stress management therapy - it's not normal to have such physical reactions. See a doctor!
And I continue maintain all this complaining of waiting is over-reacting - a week or month, more or less, makes very little difference in the scheme of things. Yes... it sucks. But there's a lot worse in this world.

Oh, and let's hope OSBEELS doesn't remember you - your application for comity (assuming you'll apply) could get held up a long time!
Ah IlPadrino, you never disappoint. It is easy for you to say "a week or month, more or less makes very little difference" How easy for you to say when you aren't waiting. Many people are hoping for promotions, raises, not to mention maybe planning some time for their families this fall, so I am sure the people still waiting will disagree.

I haven't been on here making slanderous statements, everything I said was true. They charge you more money to apply for the test, you have to put in your application months before Washington and then they take and extra month to give you results. And when you are probably going to be 49 out of 50 states to report, I think there is room to improve.

Anyway no I don't see myself dealing with Oregon any more than I have to for my lic., I plan I establishing a NCEES Record thereby bypassing some of the bullshit. If you plan on having say 3 states lic. I recommend it.

For those of you interested:

What is the NCEES Records Program?

The NCEES Records Program serves as a verifying agency for an engineer or surveyor who is seeking multiple-jurisdiction licensure by comity. Applicants to the program must already be licensed with at least one licensing board in the United States or its territories. An NCEES record is not established automatically when an engineering and surveying license is granted. The engineer or surveyor must initiate the process by making application to the NCEES.

Through this program, the Council verifies and houses the Record holder's file, which contains the college transcripts, licensure information, professional engineer or surveyor references, and employment verifications. When licensure in additional jurisdictions is needed, a copy of the NCEES Council Record can be transmitted to other licensure authorities with a written release.

I actually asked about that early on just after taking the test. I had seen that the dates didn't make sense for the results and the next test. So what they will do for you is wait to process your payment for the next test until you have received the results from the last test. I am already signed up for the next test and I will just call and cancel everything if it ends up that I already passed the April test.
I was curious if the Rules & Regulations committee had any propsed/pending rules regarding re-application deadlines. Looks like they are proposing a rule to prohibit what nojo did.

OAR 820-010-0465 – Application for Readmission to ExaminationA draft rule to clarify that reapplications and fees will not be accepted prior to the release of the results from the preceding examination was presented to the Committee for review. The Committee approved the draft rule for presentation during the May Board meeting for approval to begin the rulemaking process.
Link is here
The previous meeting minutes (link here) also specifically mentioned this scenario and claims that "Due to circumstances out of the Board’s control, the October 2008 examination results were not released until after the December 1st application deadline".

With the OARs as they're being proposed, and since the results will never be released prior to June 1st or December 1st, that means it will be impossible to retake the exam 6 months later - you'll be forced to apply for the following year. Hmm, I wonder if they are trying to prevent people from taking the test every 6 months to give people more time to study . . .

I was curious if the Rules & Regulations committee had any propsed/pending rules regarding re-application deadlines. Looks like they are proposing a rule to prohibit what nojo did.
Link is here

The previous meeting minutes (link here) also specifically mentioned this scenario and claims that "Due to circumstances out of the Board’s control, the October 2008 examination results were not released until after the December 1st application deadline".

With the OARs as they're being proposed, and since the results will never be released prior to June 1st or December 1st, that means it will be impossible to retake the exam 6 months later - you'll be forced to apply for the following year. Hmm, I wonder if they are trying to prevent people from taking the test every 6 months to give people more time to study . . .

That is interesting. Yeah the way I did things was offered to me by the staff there. That is funny that they are trying to get rid of that now. I wonder if it is for more time to study or to make you less familiar in remembering the previous test.... that would be mean of them.

another thought I had is, why isn't the last board meetings minutes document posted? seems weird

Meeting minutes must be approved by the board before they are posted, so at today's meeting, they had to approve the meeting minutes from May. So, hopefully sometime in the next week or so, the May board minutes will be posted, and after the meeting in Sept, the July minutes will be posted. But sometimes they go for a long time without posting the minutes.

Ah IlPadrino, you never disappoint. It is easy for you to say "a week or month, more or less makes very little difference" How easy for you to say when you aren't waiting. Many people are hoping for promotions, raises, not to mention maybe planning some time for their families this fall, so I am sure the people still waiting will disagree.
Yeah... just horrible. To think, there are Engineers currently serving in Iraq and Afghanistan who don't have the luxury of even sitting for the exam, much less complain about ulcer-causing waits. We should all keep things in perspective. I didn't say it was easy, I just said there are worse things in the world. Your license isn't a "right" and if you don't like it, accept it or move on (to another state). So that's what you did, and I commend you for doing something about your heartache.

Great information and thanks for the links on the subsequent posts.

I'd gladly participate, but since moving to the East Coast, it'd be a bit hard to attend. What about sending a letter to the board?

Latest posts

Back