Old Video Games

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^I'm not sure when Macs went from the dorky thing you played Oregon Trail on during computer lab hour in grade school, to this super trendy thing everyone had to have.
I have an iMac, and I love it, but it's just a computer not a status symbol.

We've always had Macs, and never have personally owned anything else. My mom bought my brother and I the first "Macintosh" computer when I was in high school. Then we upgraded to the Macintosh SE; it had two floppy drives, and if you wanted to run Microsoft Word, you had to run it off the disk...The built in hard disk was a $1000 upgrade. I wish I still had that machine.

I've had lots non-Mac work computers...

^I'm not sure when Macs went from the dorky thing you played Oregon Trail on during computer lab hour in grade school, to this super trendy thing everyone had to have.
Apple got crushed during the 90's in the computer market. They tried making the slightly snazzier systems, but IBM PCs were just too powerful, too easy to upgrade in comparison, and too cheap as a result of competition between manufacturers of parts.

So, rather than compete on the same level as the IBM PCs, they announced that they had decided to release the iMac line, an elite line of "stylish" computers. And they were lambasted in the tech community for thinking anyone would buy them.

And then they were released, and the soccer moms and trust fund kids all said "IT MUST BE MINE!". And Apple hasn't looked back since.

Apple got crushed during the 90's in the computer market. They tried making the slightly snazzier systems, but IBM PCs were just too powerful, too easy to upgrade in comparison, and too cheap as a result of competition between manufacturers of parts.

So, rather than compete on the same level as the IBM PCs, they announced that they had decided to release the iMac line, an elite line of "stylish" computers. And they were lambasted in the tech community for thinking anyone would buy them.

And then they were released, and the soccer moms and trust fund kids all said "IT MUST BE MINE!". And Apple hasn't looked back since.

Ask any of the artists here to work on an IBM PC and you might as well ask them to vote Republican or to shower regularly.

Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards
I made to the happy ending of LL1

Leisure Larry II was on a Cruise ship. never finished that one.

I still have a copy of LLII. The software came with printed literature that pictures of gils with their phone numbers. To start the game you had to type the phone number for the girls picture that came up on the opening screen. Without the manual you couldn't get in.

Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards
I made to the happy ending of LL1

Leisure Larry II was on a Cruise ship. never finished that one.

I still have a copy of LLII. The software came with printed literature that pictures of gils with their phone numbers. To start the game you had to type the phone number for the girls picture that came up on the opening screen. Without the manual you couldn't get in.
LL1 stopped all productivity in the office for a week or so as we all played it.

I can't remember if we finished LL2...the newness was kinda gone by then.

Likewise.

As far as old games go, I'm a huge fan of all the LucasArts adventure games:

Grim Fandango

Monkey Island

Sam and Max

Day of the Tentacle

Maniac Mansion

Full Throttle

Dig

Back