NFL 2014

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Manziel didn't look very happy when Jacksonville took Bortles. I haven't watched Manziel play (aside from highlihgts), but he's got so much hype behind him that i'll tune into the first Browns game this season. he's got a great chance of starting there.

Praise The Lord!

(Been busy last two years- it's hard to keep it all together)

Agnes Scott is still going to ACC?

I never followed them this past couple of years but this kid seems like a gigantic douchebag......(no offense to douchebags).....

4ezu4e3y.jpg
yeah, I was thrilled to see him sit there and wait. And then disgusted with this show me the money **** when he walked on stage. Hopefully somebody hits him hard and he just goes away
I think the first D-line he runs into is going to show Mr. Manzeil how they earn their money. He should get out of the hospital within a month.

Texas never should have been allowed in the SEC! ;) This kind of no class should be reserved for Miami and FSU.... ;)And how many QB's has Cleveland taken number 1 that either were buns it got killed?(figuratively)
Hey! The Aggies should have never been allowed in the SEC. In fact, the Longhorns were so disgusted, they decided not to participate in this year's draft.

Not sure how I feel about this: http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/02/us/dan-marino-concussion-lawsuit/

While I'm sympathetic to the cause, you really have to know what you're signing up for, right? I mean it's one of those jobs where, ya you're probably going to get hurt out there. But here's XX million dollars. Kind of d@mned if you do, d@mned if you don't.

I would suspect that pretty soon all players in the league will be signing an indemnity clause against the NFL, teams, doctors, etc. for the right to play and practice.

Not sure how I feel about this: http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/02/us/dan-marino-concussion-lawsuit/

While I'm sympathetic to the cause, you really have to know what you're signing up for, right? I mean it's one of those jobs where, ya you're probably going to get hurt out there. But here's XX million dollars. Kind of d@mned if you do, d@mned if you don't.

... I know a lot more people who risk(ed) a bit more and never see the same kind of money in their lifetime...

The issue with concussion awareness is not at the pro level or even really at the college level, it's the kids in pee-wee, junior high, and high school who look to the pros and college level for guidance. There they will see poor technique (hits instead of tackles), inadequate equipment (especially for developing heads/brains), and players "walking it off" and "toughing it out" when they are clearly injured. Combine all of this with typically underfunded programs (poorly trained coaches, non-existent medical staff, inadequate equipment, etc) and you're setting these kids up for disaster before they even have the chance of making the big money.

There's a reason most NFL "stars" don't let their kids play...

I can still hear my coaches voice yelling "sacrifice your body for the ball"

The issue with concussion awareness is not at the pro level or even really at the college level, it's the kids in pee-wee, junior high, and high school who look to the pros and college level for guidance. There they will see poor technique (hits instead of tackles), inadequate equipment (especially for developing heads/brains), and players "walking it off" and "toughing it out" when they are clearly injured. Combine all of this with typically underfunded programs (poorly trained coaches, non-existent medical staff, inadequate equipment, etc) and you're setting these kids up for disaster before they even have the chance of making the big money.

that's not just with football and concussions though... I remember having plenty of "sprains" and being taped by the trainer to return to games and meets, only to have ER docs say it was breaks and tears

that's not just with football and concussions though... I remember having plenty of "sprains" and being taped by the trainer to return to games and meets, only to have ER docs say it was breaks and tears
Agreed. I remember reading an article on ESPN about how many "Tommy John" surgeries they do now for MLB Pitchers. In college and the pros, these guys normally get a full week off after throwing only 80-100 pitches, but they only get this relief after throwing day-after-day-after-day as kids. By the time they get to the pros, the arms of most of these pitchers are on the verge of failure because of over-use and neglected medical treatment as kids.

... I know a lot more people who risk(ed) a bit more and never see the same kind of money in their lifetime...
QFT!

No to mention those people do things a whole lot more important than throwing a ball around on TV.

And they also dish out the same type of peer pressure.... Go on sick call more than once? You better be bleeding.....

Or the Indians,Braves,etc...

Maybe those teams are not seen as derogatory though...

I Prayed to the old gods last night that Dan Snyder change his team to the Washington Whites....

^^^ For those teams the issue isn't the name, but their mascots have been under scrutiny for a while now.

Back