New Jersey Judge Blocks Dad From Delivery Room

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never understood the whole natural childbirth thing, and remember thinking, 'wtf, are you kidding?' the first time I heard about it in the early/mid eighties.

Seems to be undoing years of medial breakthroughs.

When both my sister and I were born, Mom was knocked out and Dad was in the waiting room, presumably reading old Field and Stream copies.

But to each his own, I guess.

Quoting Tina Fey in "Bossypants":

"This is a generational difference. This [Tina Fey's mother] is the same woman who told me to request 'twilight sleep' during delivery. (Twilight sleep is the memory-erasing pain medication that doctors gave women in the 1950s whenever they had to take a baby out or put a body snatcher in. I could never have chosen twilight sleep because I wanted to be present for my birth experience and also it is no longer offered.)"

minisnick was natural. If we ever have another and a csection is needed for whatever reason they are going to have to knock me out. There is no way they will get a needle in my spine with me being awake.

I laugh at all of these "drugs" that were given to women up through the '70s that have since been discovered to have direct effects on the children. We have at least one, if not 2, full generations walking around having been born through that. No wonder the baby boomers seem so f-ed up. It's because they were born that way... :p

I will brag a little that the Dr was happy I was in the room during Mini-Dex#1's birth. The water broke at 2am at home, we drove in to the hospital, and by 8am the monitors were showing mini-dex was under a lot of stress during contractions. Mrs Dex was nowhere near ready to start pushing (contractions weren't frequent enough, wasn't dialated enough, etc), so the Dr was starting to consider a c-section because she was concerned about the baby. I offered up the suggestion that the stress was because the fluid "buffer" was gone and that they could consider "refilling" around the baby. She liked the idea, gave it a try, and a few hours later Mini-Dex was born naturally with no further complications.

Dr. Dexman, PE, MD, SM

SM- Spam Master

Impressive :)

so long ago i dont even remember, but i do remember that we had no family in the room and they were pissed, fuck family!

It was almost 2 weeks after minisnick was born that family got to meet him for the first time...let alone at the hospital

I saw mini-MS 1 and mini-MS 2 during birth ( :wave2: ) and our parents saw both within an hour of birth. The during birth part was... well... I'm glad I don't get to see that again.

^^^ Almost makes you not want anything to do with that part of your wife's body again. Almost.

anyone remember that line in "This is 40" when he was trrying to get his wife to see if he had a hemroid..

I watched you deliver two babies so step up and take a look! (or something)

#3 was born during the wee hours of the night. after I took my birth pictures, the nurses asked if I wanted to cut the chord, to which I deliriously replied yes. They offered to take my picture as I was doing it and again I innocently agreed. About an hour later when things were slowing down, the doc was still doing his "repair work" and I decided that I was going to upload the birth pics to FB land for friends and family to see when they all woke up later that morning, at a sane hour. Well, "this guy" didn't review the pics before up loading because had I, I would have noticed that all of Mrs. NJ was on display and available for the world wide web.

About 45 minutes later, Mrs. NJ asked if I had been posting pics to which I replied yes. And then she asked. "Did you make sure not to post the one of you cutting the chord?" I felt like I was going to puke. As convincingly as possible, I said, "of course not." I looked through my photo gallery and saw what expected, insides out with me standing over her with a dumbass grin on my face.

I waited for about 5 minutes and logged back on to try and delete them. I found them, selected them and prompted to delete. Only, they didn't disappear. I continued to see them, both in my news feed and in the album which I created and placed them. Now I was freaking out. The only saving grace that I had at that moment was that maybe one or two people were awake to see the photos and I had hoped that they didn't recognize what they had seen. Then I logged off and again back on, and finally did not see them. I was quite relieved. Now I know that if they are uploaded there, even if you "delete" them they are never truly deleted. Like a soft delete. I'm ok with that though.

anyone remember that line in "This is 40" when he was trrying to get his wife to see if he had a hemroid..

I watched you deliver two babies so step up and take a look! (or something)
I've been wanting to see that movie.

#3 was born during the wee hours of the night. after I took my birth pictures, the nurses asked if I wanted to cut the chord, to which I deliriously replied yes. They offered to take my picture as I was doing it and again I innocently agreed. About an hour later when things were slowing down, the doc was still doing his "repair work" and I decided that I was going to upload the birth pics to FB land for friends and family to see when they all woke up later that morning, at a sane hour. Well, "this guy" didn't review the pics before up loading because had I, I would have noticed that all of Mrs. NJ was on display and available for the world wide web.

About 45 minutes later, Mrs. NJ asked if I had been posting pics to which I replied yes. And then she asked. "Did you make sure not to post the one of you cutting the chord?" I felt like I was going to puke. As convincingly as possible, I said, "of course not." I looked through my photo gallery and saw what expected, insides out with me standing over her with a dumbass grin on my face.

I waited for about 5 minutes and logged back on to try and delete them. I found them, selected them and prompted to delete. Only, they didn't disappear. I continued to see them, both in my news feed and in the album which I created and placed them. Now I was freaking out. The only saving grace that I had at that moment was that maybe one or two people were awake to see the photos and I had hoped that they didn't recognize what they had seen. Then I logged off and again back on, and finally did not see them. I was quite relieved. Now I know that if they are uploaded there, even if you "delete" them they are never truly deleted. Like a soft delete. I'm ok with that though.
And you wonder why you get banned from the bed?

Now I know that if they are uploaded there, even if you "delete" them they are never truly deleted. Like a soft delete. I'm ok with that though.
I'm sure there is a considerable delay (in PC terms) to when things are deleted and the actual deletion taking place. Especially with what specs I've seen on how massive FB's server farm is. Then you take into account the delay from using the app on your phone over a mobile broadband connection. The images are also cached in the phones internal memory. Generally after deleting something via the FB app, if you reboot the phone completely then reload FB, by that time the data should be removed.

Not nearly as bad, but Mr. YMZ almost gave his brother the SD card from when Mini YMZ was born. No birth shots, but lots of breastfeeding photos.

I have really never understood the massive picture taking during and right after child birth. no one is really "olan mills" worthy at that time , except for me, I always looked fabulous...

I never took any pics during the birth. Mainly because my hand was getting crushed by Mrs NJ for the pain.

Back