New Jersey Judge Blocks Dad From Delivery Room

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kind of a sticky scenario. On one hand, unmarried couples make this more of an issue as in the reason for the judges ruling. However, on the other hand, dude is the kid's father. He should have a right to be there as well.

I'm not sure where I stand with this, as I don't know the whole back story. But, being the biological father doesn't make you a good father. If the guy was a raging, abusive, alcoholic, then one might not want him there.

But it always does seem that men/dads play second fiddle to mom and baby.

I don't know.

I don't care what the relationship is between the parents. If the woman, who is the one giving birth, doesn't want someone around in the delivery room then they don't get to be there. Plain and simple. most hospitals will back the mother up with this too.

Last edited by a moderator:
to quote a legend, "Why are New Yorker's always so angry" The light at the end of the tunnel is New Jersey."

I don't care what the relationship is between the parents. If the woman, who is the one giving birth, doesn't want someone around in the delivery room then they don't get to be there. Plain and simple. most hospitals will back the mother up with this too.
yes. you are correct with regards to the hospitals honoring the requests of the mother. With the birth of a ll three of our kids, had my MIL in the DL. During the delivery of #1, Mr. NJ's doctor was away so we got the on-call Dr. Well, this biotch decided that she had her own rules which were to supercede the parents and the hospitals. Only the people who were in the room when the baby was conceived were permitted in the room when baby was delivered. So she threw my MIL out and made her wait in the WR.

Hospitals provide care to the patient. NOT the family. In the case of labor & delivery, the patients are the mother and baby. Only other people who need to be in there are the medical support staff.

Hospitals provide care to the patient. NOT the family. In the case of labor & delivery, the patients are the mother and baby. Only other people who need to be in there are the medical support staff.
very true and I don't debate that. However, most hospitals as a courtesy as a minimum extend the availability of that room to 1-2 additional people.

This. In a hospital setting, it's a medical procedure.

This. In a hospital setting, it's a medical procedure.
When my wife was brought into the operating room for the c-secion, I wasn't allowed into the room until after she was on the table and hooked up to the meds. I guess at anytime they could have asked me to leave.

very true and I don't debate that. However, most hospitals as a courtesy as a minimum extend the availability of that room to 1-2 additional people.
It's a courtesy they are not required to provide and it can change from Dr to Dr. You also have to remember that anyone else in the room is another source of contaminants (infection), another thing "in the way", and another source of stress for the medical staff. Mrs Dex has told me way too many stories of the dad's becoming nothing more than a hinderance to the whole process to the point the hospital is forced to call security to have them removed. Because of this, many Dr's (especially on-call docs) are allowing fewer and fewer people in the delivery room.

It's a courtesy they are not required to provide and it can change from Dr to Dr.
I understand that and it exactly why I referred to it as a courtesy

The nurses made good use of Mr. YMZ when I was delivering. They made him push on my leg to provide counterpressure. Made sense because hey, if he's there...

I will brag a little that the Dr was happy I was in the room during Mini-Dex#1's birth. The water broke at 2am at home, we drove in to the hospital, and by 8am the monitors were showing mini-dex was under a lot of stress during contractions. Mrs Dex was nowhere near ready to start pushing (contractions weren't frequent enough, wasn't dialated enough, etc), so the Dr was starting to consider a c-section because she was concerned about the baby. I offered up the suggestion that the stress was because the fluid "buffer" was gone and that they could consider "refilling" around the baby. She liked the idea, gave it a try, and a few hours later Mini-Dex was born naturally with no further complications.

I never understood the whole natural childbirth thing, and remember thinking, 'wtf, are you kidding?' the first time I heard about it in the early/mid eighties.

Seems to be undoing years of medial breakthroughs.

When both my sister and I were born, Mom was knocked out and Dad was in the waiting room, presumably reading old Field and Stream copies.

But to each his own, I guess.

my sister had an unplanned natural childbirth and she pointed out that although it was panicked and she didn't want the baby born in the elevator without a doctor and her wearing a coors light tank top, her recovery time was much faster (and though the birth started as described, she did end up in a room with some doctor she didn't know present).

Back