medical advice needed

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello... hello.... hello.... TX can you hear me? LOL
Glad the surgery went well. Just one piece of advice, if I may, remember to pull your hair behind your ear when you want to hear. There's something about hair that blocks hearing. Just like the bionic woman, she always had to pull her hair back. Even her bizillion-dollar ear surgery, was no match for her hair.
Funny you mention that... I've been having to pull my hair back because hearing my hair rub against the bandage has been driving me crazy! Actually, lots of everyday noises have been driving me nuts. I'm hoping that it doesn't take too long for my brain to get used to getting input from my left ear again.

And... as happy as I am with the results so far... of course, I managed to get one of the most common side effects of the surgery... something went wonky with my taste nerves and I have a constant salty/metallic taste in my mouth. Everything I eat tastes like a salt-lick. On one hand, I'll probably lose weight as a result... I have very little interest in eating when everything tastes like salt. We had Indian food tonight... it tasted like very spicy salt <_<

On EB even side effects from ear surgery aren't sacred. -_-

Is the side effect temporary? I had lost touch about this. I haven't spent nearly enough time on EB lately. It's weird, though. I thought about your surgery this afternoon. I'm glad your hearing has returned.

From what I've read, most people's taste returns to normal within a few months. Every once in a while, it is permanent. When that happens, the patient usually opts for additional surgery (a year or two later) to sever the nerve. That results in not being able to taste salt on one side of the mouth... but most people think that is preferable to having a constant salty taste.

209.gif

Couldn't help but think of those...hope that clear up soon TX!

I hope it goes away too... but I can live with it for a few weeks. I'd like to lose 10lbs before I'm expected to wear a swim-suit, and the fact that everything tastes bad is seriously decreasing my snacking!

Hope the side effect is temporary.

Hmmm.... An interesting experiment might be to try extremes, like sugar and vinegar (separately), to see if you notice any difference.

Really sweet stuff, like a spoonful of honey or sugar, can override it for a few seconds... but it almost seems worse after that.

Well, it went from salty to sour... but has been steadily decreasing. I hardly even notice it any more.

The hearing is lots better! I go back for a hearing test on Tuesday, so I'll find out then if it's back to 100%. What's really kind of cool is that I was listening to a song on the radio that's only been out for a couple of years... and I heard harmonies and counter-melodies in the background that I hadn't even known were part of the song before.

Back